The Conspiracy against Deus Ex

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
Hotfoot

#1 The Conspiracy against Deus Ex

Post by Hotfoot »

Okay, seriously, how many people here haven't even tried this classic FPSRPG? I demand that this trend end here and now. Look, there's a demo and everything (and even a bonus level for the demo!). You have no excuse for at least trying it. The demo is less than 200MB, and the full game isn't more than 400MB, and you can get it online from D2D for a measly $10. For slightly less you could find a used copy or something from a gaming store, or Amazon.

Please people, I'm begging you, give this a shot. Even if you're not the biggest fan of shooters. I myself played it like Thief, getting KO's rather than frags, sneaking up on people and beating their brains in, or setting back with the minicrossbow and hitting them with poison darts. Of course, if you love shooters, you can get all the combat mods and weapons and dive in with shotguns and rocket launchers blazing.

Now, if you've tried it already and don't like it, that's cool, I understand, but please if you haven't try it. You've got nothing to lose but a few minutes of broadband time.

Some people don't like fileplanet, therfor Enjoy. -Your friendly neighbor GDC member
Last edited by Hotfoot on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

This game is without a doubt my personal all time favorite game. I've played this through on every difficulty level and beat it over a dozen times over. And every damned time I play through the game I find something new I missed before. The game is that damned in depth and immense. It's fucking huge. There's no one way to do anything, no one way to solve every problem. You can do it with your own style at every turn.

And the storyline. Oh my god the storyline is mindblowing and abso-fucking-lutely amazing. Beyond amazing. Secret socities, conspiricies, government agencies, rebellions, everything. This game is nothing but geekgasam goodness on CD. Seriously. It's that fucking good. I can't say enough about how fucking amazing this game is. If you haven't played this game get it. As Hotfoot said, it's damn near free.

And if you REALLY can't afford it, talk to me. I'm sure I can work something out... it's not like there's any security to crack on the game...
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

#3 Re: The Conspiracy against Deus Ex

Post by Destructionator XV »

Hotfoot wrote:You have no excuse for at least trying it.
I actually have true
Some files require a Fileplanet subscription.
Which is a bloody hassle, and the big reason:

Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Bullshit, Deus Ex is an old game, WINE + any sort of reasonably modern GPU can deal with it.

Deus ex rocks, shame I never finshed it.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

I stand surprised; it actually did work on Linux with no hassle. Wow.

Now I just have to deal with the suck that is PC shooter controls. Perfect Dark on the N64 got controls right, and that is a rare (no pun intended) thing.
Adam D. Ruppe
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Destructionator XV wrote:Now I just have to deal with the suck that is PC shooter controls. Perfect Dark on the N64 got controls right, and that is a rare (no pun intended) thing.
Which is odd because PC keyboard/mouse combo is insanely superior to bulky console control.
Hedgecore
Apprentice

Post by Hedgecore »

Agreed. Deus Ex is one of few games so awesome, I had to buy it. It was even available for Mac, how cool is that?(Don't answer). Has anyone played the sequel? Any good?

I also think any FPS is way better on a computer than on a console. Mouse-look is way more intuitive and precise.

BTW, did it bug anyone else that the lightsabre-looking Nano Sword didn't retract into its hilt when it was in your inventory?
"Well, I wouldn't argue that is was a no holds-barred, adrenalin fuelled thrill ride, but there is no way you
can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork."
-Sgt Nicholas Angel, on Point Break

"You gotta look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever, man.'"
-Hurley
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Hedgecore wrote:Agreed. Deus Ex is one of few games so awesome, I had to buy it. It was even available for Mac, how cool is that?(Don't answer). Has anyone played the sequel? Any good?
Yes I have Invisible War. The in game soundtrack (the band is Kidney thieves btw, great fucking band. LOVE THEM) is awesome. Some of the characters are great. The details and textures are on par with that year's graphics capability. The storyline however lacks, the plot wasn't nearly as good. And the interface system sucked hard due to the fact that they simotaniously ported it to consoles and didn't bother modding it for PC. So it's clumsy and at times counter productive. It's a good game but not one that I've replayed a lot. The mod system in there is nice and they've got some near mods like the bot dominance mod.
Hedgecore wrote:BTW, did it bug anyone else that the lightsabre-looking Nano Sword didn't retract into its hilt when it was in your inventory?
Yeup, took up 8 fucking inventory slots >< Damn huge. But it was so worth it for that weapon to take out people quick and silent. And for the record... It's the dragon's tooth sword.

Also for the record...
JC Denton owns Master Chief. Suck on that all you Halo whores :twisted:
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Wow, so it runs in a window, and the controls seem to be changeable (but keyboard/mouse simply isn't a very good system for good style controls anyway), although no joystick in WINE, thus far. And the windowed mode isn't working very well; ugh. Windowed mode is win for easy switching; I often have one window up top while controlling another window under it, but that doesn't work.

Anyway, the game itself seems pretty awesome, even dealing with the silly nonsense above. Now just to find the time to continue playing it.
Adam D. Ruppe
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Enjoy the game and the glory that is Deus Ex
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Ace Pace wrote:Deus Ex is an old game
Ace Pace wrote:Deus ex rocks
Ace, I take this as your concession that old games rock and new games suck! NYAAH-NYAH!! :razz:

Ah, back to the topic, IMO what makes Deus Ex great is not only its multiple solution, but the freedom to play the game according to our own 'gaming style' as well. You want to be a sneaky character? Fine, you can do it. You want to approach the enemy in 'gun-blazing style'? Fine, you can do it too. You want to be a charismatic character? No problem with that. And of course, the way you solve the problem depends on what your character is like --see, it is almost like Quest for Glory in FPS.

Now, if only a game company is willing to put this sort of gameplay in F.E.A.R engine......
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I dug this up for a reason: Deus Ex for $2.50 on steam, and the sequel (which isn't nearly as good but still a decent game on its own) for the same price. Both for $5!

Check it out!
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

We actually have two copies of this and the Missus and I would play against each other in multi. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to run well with our current PC's.