Hardcore Players: How is it going?

KoLA: Ask questions and seek answers for Kingdom of Loathing
Skadi
Apprentice

#1 Hardcore Players: How is it going?

Post by Skadi »

So I was tossing around the idea of trying a hardcore ascension my next turn.

Has anyone finished a hardcore turn yet? Have you been enjoying it or is it very frustrating?
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

Sloooooowly.

On the one hand, the time commitment is nicely trimmed back- instead of the five hundred-odd adventures I was having to work through before, I now only have 120 between my three characters.

I don't mind working up, now that I've seen the game, and not having to worry about manufacturing food and booze is cool.

If you really chug it and don't take one of the paths, you can race through a hardcore- the current record is nine days.

I'm enjoying it, definitely. I won't set any records, but it's been fun.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

I'm stuck at level three but I'm sure when I drink the Gourd potions on mysticality day, I will get to the next and beat those tavern rats!

I broke the Hippy Stone only to run out of adventures each time I remember it is broken. I only remember because each time I log in, I have been attacked by someone. :evil: Good thing it's only PvPing for flowers or rank.
The Dark
Apprentice

Post by The Dark »

Once I finish my current run, I'll be going Hardcore Oxygenarian, which should be...interesting. No food or booze, no using old items.
Nephtys
Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Well, second HC run can use items you gain from the first, I though? It'd be helpful as hell to have your Stainless Steel PLUS all your old crap. :P
"I like me"
Skadi
Apprentice

Post by Skadi »

I must say, I am having a lot more fun playing the Hardcore route then my Softcore route as my second character. Its a shame you cannot start right away into Hardcore.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Skadi wrote:I must say, I am having a lot more fun playing the Hardcore route then my Softcore route as my second character. Its a shame you cannot start right away into Hardcore.
It's definitely a challenge. Every adventure counts a lot more now.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
Skadi
Apprentice

Post by Skadi »

Day 4 of my Hardcore Run:

Reached Level 6 Pastamancer today. I have yet to complete the Boss Bat, Goblin King and Friar Quests. Right now, I am held up at the Boss Bat Cave with no stench resistance.The RNG has started a holy war against me and refuses to drop needed items for cooking, fighting, or stench resistance. Yes, its a far cry from the normal days where skulls dropped every round and I could still hear the sound of children laughing. I am dreading the upcoming fights with the bosses. I am trying to save meat for the Pastamaking skill so that I can finally eat something besides pizza (when I am extremely lucky) or cottage cheese.

Have:
All the NS items from areas that I can adventure except for the baseball and the keys.
Meat Maid Body, Maiden Wig. Still need the Skull and Brain
A decent collection of chow supplies, except for the herbs.
Meat Car
Sticky meat pants for more moxie and more protection.

Choosing a Moxie Path has been a blessing as the drinks from the MicroBrewery have become so important to my Kol diet. If I choose another sign next time, I will go Oxygerian or Teetoller as finding items for drinks seems to takes time. Visiting Little Canadia as Teetoller seems promising.

How is everyone else doing?
Josh

Post by Josh »

Between two characters, around eighty adventures expended...

To get Knob Goblin Tongs.

TONGS!

*growls*
The Dark
Apprentice

Post by The Dark »

I'm thinking that for Hardcore I may keep my Gravy Fairy as my familiar, since item acquisition seems to be the biggest problem.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Biggest problem for me is getting the experience I need. It's pitiful even with a volleyball as my familiar.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Well, stats and leveling hasn't been a problem. On the contrary, since every character took a sign matching their requisite leveling stat and I would use the enhanced stat buffing equipment on stat days, my current bog-down is that I'm surrounded by quests.

Items, definitely the items have been my concern. I got spoiled by my Mr. A Jrs and their item-drop buffery.

Petro got a meat maid finally! Yay!
Nephtys
Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Jeez. Is it just me, or does the Gnome Camp's little adventure area NEVER drop flanges? I've got dozens of other parts, including a clockwork key, but I can't get enough flanges to make good items. :/
"I like me"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Just barely got the Powers of Observatiogn (sic) skill, so I can start making runs on there now. I'll let you know.
Skadi
Apprentice

Post by Skadi »

Day 6:

Made some progress. Today, I built a Meat Maid, defeated the Boss Bat, collected my nemesis item and epic weapon, and learned PastaMastery. I am still at Level 6 but I hope to earn levels quickly with better cooking. I am still too weak to fight the Goblin King or finish the Friar's Quest.

I think my next priority will be to earn meat for more skills and try to finish up the Friar. Getting to the Mysterious Island is another goal. I am dreading collecting the keys though as well as the other NS items.
The Dark
Apprentice

Post by The Dark »

Nephtys wrote:Jeez. Is it just me, or does the Gnome Camp's little adventure area NEVER drop flanges? I've got dozens of other parts, including a clockwork key, but I can't get enough flanges to make good items. :/
It took me about four days worth of just adventuring there to get enough to make the Clockwork outfit and a pair of clockwork spheres.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

Getting meat early on is a nightmare.. Two days and while I am level 4, rushing towards 5, I can't find cash to get anything done.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Skadi
Apprentice

Post by Skadi »

SirNitram wrote:Getting meat early on is a nightmare.. Two days and while I am level 4, rushing towards 5, I can't find cash to get anything done.
It becomes easier once you can get to the Knob Treasury. With a leprachuan, you will get 70-150 meat per adventure at the Treasury. If you are desperate for cash, you can also adventure there with a clover to get a dense meat stack, which autosells for 1000. In general, autosell anything you do not need.

You can also try Nephtys's idea and use a Cocobao on an enemy that cannot be harmed by you. It will randomly give you meat in a round, and if you are lucky, you can survive all the rounds (until it forces you to run away) and get lots of meat. I haven't tried that yet.
Skadi
Apprentice

Post by Skadi »

I hate the fact that as a Level 7 Pastmancer, my health is too low to get far in many of the quests. I managed to beat one monster in the Friar's Quest and can't even last a round in the Crypt quest. I am not even trying to fight the Goblin King yet.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Autosell, the Treasury, and for the Oxygenarian, the fact that you just don't need as much meat all pay off. I spend a while on meat raids, buy up the skills I want, and move on.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

If you are going to autosell, be sure to check the Bounty Hunter at the Wrong Side of the Tracks first as he pays double.

Currently, Requiem the Pastamancer isn't doing too good. His muscle and therefore his hp has to be much higher than it is now to defeat the bat boss. I am rectifying by going to Shore Inc. and taking trips there to rise it up and to get the Meat Globe on mysticality day which should be (Thursday) tomorrow. It's slow but I'm getting there.

MonkeyPhart the Turtle Tamer on the other hand is doing well. He just took care of the Tavern quest at level 3 so that's a good sign for him.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Anyone stuck with nothing to do or get their ass beaten at their current quest and still have turns should go to the Hidden Temple. The stats it gives are enormous!
Especially strength since it is the day. :smile:
Skadi
Apprentice

Post by Skadi »

Finally finished a nopath Hardcore Ascension today. The NS was very tough without the furry suit, but I got very lucky with my Cone-of-Whatever spells. I decided to keep Pastamastery and took a trip to Canada this time around as a Sauceror. Nephtys seems to be close to ascending as well.