US Army gives Halliburton its marching orders

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 US Army gives Halliburton its marching orders

Post by frigidmagi »

Sidney Morning Herald
THE US Army is discontinuing a controversial multibillion-dollar deal with the oil services giant Halliburton to provide logistical support to American troops worldwide, a decision that could cut deeply into the firm's dominance of government contracting in Iraq.

The decision comes after several years of attacks from critics who saw the contract as a symbol of politically connected corporations profiteering on the war.

Under the deal, Halliburton had exclusive rights to provide the military with a wide range of services that included keeping soldiers around the globe fed, sheltered and in communication with family back home.

Audits turned up more than $US1 billion ($1.3 billion) in questionable costs. Whistleblowers told how the company charged $US45 for a case of soft drinks, double-billed on meals and allowed troops to bathe in contaminated water.

Halliburton officials denied the allegations strenuously. Army officials defended the company's performance, but acknowledged that reliance on a single contractor left the US vulnerable.

The Pentagon's new plan will split the work among three companies, to be chosen soon, with a fourth firm hired to help monitor the performance of the other three. Halliburton will be eligible to bid on the work.

The decision on Halliburton comes as the US contribution to Iraq's reconstruction begins to wane, reducing opportunities for US companies after nearly four years of huge payouts to the private sector.

The Iraqi Government will have to find its own contractors to do the work, including a large number of projects left undone by the US. The US Inspector-General's office has repeatedly warned of a "reconstruction gap" between what the US promised in rebuilding the country after the invasion in 2003 and what it has delivered. For instance, a contract aimed at building 142 new health centres instead produced a mere 20 before the program ran out of money.

No contractor has received more money as a result of the invasion than Halliburton, whose former chief executive, Dick Cheney, is now US Vice-President.

Logistics work is carried out by a subsidiary, Kellogg Brown & Root Services.

Last year, the US Army paid out more than $US7 billion for the Iraq contract. This year the amount will be as much as $US5 billion. Halliburton initially won the contract in 2001.

The Iraq contract had expanded "beyond what anyone could have imagined", said Dov Zakheim, the Pentagon's comptroller from 2001 until 2004 and now a vice-president at the consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton.

The bidding on the new contract is likely to attract some prominent suitors, including the weapons makers Lockheed Martin.

"They are among the biggest government services contracts that have ever been created," said Loren Thompson, of the Lexington Institute think tank. "Most of the big, integrated defence contractors recognise that new sales of military hardware are going to be hard to come by in the years ahead. There's a general migration to services."
Figure I toss out some good news.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Why didn't they yank the contract after the shit bath fiasco?
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Cpl I expect better from you. They got to find replacements for them first, they got to make sure that the replacements can do a better a job and they got to make sure that the replacements are set up and ready to go. This takes time. Logistics, Cpl, Logistics.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

I think what the Cpl meant was, why didn't they start doing that after the shitbath fiasco? It's not like that happened a week ago.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

How do you know they didn't? Like I said they had to line up alot of crap before they could throw Halliburton out. For God sakes people Halliburton was doing everything from cleaning latrines to delievering food, there are at least 3 different companies taking up those jobs. It takes fucking time to get shit lined up.
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Several years worth of time? According to your own article the shit bath fiasco wasn't the first by any means. And after all of that Halliburton are still allowed to bid on the new contract.
Last edited by Batman on Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Yes several years of time. Shit happens, and frankly some events have been exgrated. Complaints have to be investgated and no a newspaper reporter doesn't fucking count. Then after everything is checked out, the audit happens. Audits can take over a year IF EVERYTHING IS KOSHER. You ever had someone crawl up your ass with a flashlight to check your throat? That's a military audit. Odds are they know the names of the goldfish of all the employees now.

Then and only then that is done and all the reports filed and turned in (in tripicate) is a call made. After that call is made, new companies will be called up and they'll be checked out (because we don't want to do this all over again in 2 years do we?) and if, IF everything gets set up... Then the assholes get dropped. This having civies do shit is new, in times long gone the military would have provided all these services to itself. So finding companies that can cover it and checking them is new, brand spanking new.

I swear some of you people would bitch if you were hung with golden ropes.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

*would bitch if hung period, regardless of type of rope*

What people don't understand, Frigid, is that the military concept of time is completely and totally removed from any actual method of marking time that a normal person would know.

For instance, I was told that we would have a new system to replace an ageing piece of equipment within a year. That was last year. It wasn't a lie. Air Force years are measured in different methods then regular years. A normal year is 365.25 days. A military year is at least twice that, though is not uncommon to have measurements of up to 5x that.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

frigidmagi wrote:Cpl I expect better from you. They got to find replacements for them first, they got to make sure that the replacements can do a better a job and they got to make sure that the replacements are set up and ready to go. This takes time. Logistics, Cpl, Logistics.
You have to understand that for a Canadian the thought of having an outside company do this is somewhat strange. Until this tour in Afghanistan most of the services provided to a Canadian Battlegroup where either provided by the soldiers themselves, locals under the supervision of soldiers or PSP also under the supervision of soldiers. Having a company completely outside the military come and purify water for us is unheard of.

All that being said I see your point and I am glad that it is being dealt with even if the pace is somewhat glacial. But I should have recalled from when I was in that the military is never fast.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

You have to understand that for a Canadian the thought of having an outside company do this is somewhat strange. Until this tour in Afghanistan most of the services provided to a Canadian Battlegroup where either provided by the soldiers themselves, locals under the supervision of soldiers or PSP also under the supervision of soldiers. Having a company completely outside the military come and purify water for us is unheard of.
You're right, forgive me. Truth be told this is a new system in the US to, it's the product of Clinton's budget cuts and the increasing demands on the armed forces. No I'm not blaming Clinton for Halliburton, that lies solely with the people who hired them without even allowing opposing bids. But with drastic cuts in personnal (7 divisions, almost half of the army gone, solders and sailors who wanted to stay in sent home and told to get civilian jobs...) and expanding roles (Bosnia, Solmalia, East Timour, etc) along with having to maintain old deployments (Europe, Japan, Korea) the military took steps to increase the number of front line personalle available. For example when I entered the Marines, there were 4 or 5 MOSes that basically tranlated to cook. When I left, there was 1 and they were talking about getting rid of that and giving it to civilian workers.

While I don't blame the Clinton Government for making cuts in the size of the army, navy and air force, both Clinton and Jr. have asked us to do more with less. Either some old deployments must be given up (what are we defending Europe from anyways?) or things like this will continue as the Pentagon does everything in it's power to create more frontline troops without increasing the size of the military.
Knife
Apprentice

Post by Knife »

frigidmagi wrote:
You're right, forgive me. Truth be told this is a new system in the US to, it's the product of Clinton's budget cuts and the increasing demands on the armed forces. No I'm not blaming Clinton for Halliburton, that lies solely with the people who hired them without even allowing opposing bids. But with drastic cuts in personnal (7 divisions, almost half of the army gone, solders and sailors who wanted to stay in sent home and told to get civilian jobs...) and expanding roles (Bosnia, Solmalia, East Timour, etc) along with having to maintain old deployments (Europe, Japan, Korea) the military took steps to increase the number of front line personalle available. For example when I entered the Marines, there were 4 or 5 MOSes that basically tranlated to cook. When I left, there was 1 and they were talking about getting rid of that and giving it to civilian workers.

While I don't blame the Clinton Government for making cuts in the size of the army, navy and air force, both Clinton and Jr. have asked us to do more with less. Either some old deployments must be given up (what are we defending Europe from anyways?) or things like this will continue as the Pentagon does everything in it's power to create more frontline troops without increasing the size of the military.
That is their sin. More with less. For over a decade they've been transfering a lot of tech and specialties to the Guard and Reserve units too, and they want the military to be light and fast not understanding (IMO) that the logistics train their squeezing with contracted work and reservists, will bite them in the ass.

The entire US military cannot be SOCOM. *spits on ground to avert evil*
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stuart Mill