F.E.A.R. (Can't sleep, little girl will burn me)

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
Hotfoot

#1 F.E.A.R. (Can't sleep, little girl will burn me)

Post by Hotfoot »

Just picked it up today. I think I will be scarred for life. No game I have ever played has creeped me out as much as this one has.

System requirements are fucking high. With moderate effects, I could only run smoothly at 640x480. It's time for an upgrade, if only I had the money.

I don't know how well it does on the creepy factor on the second run through, but it is amazing so far.
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Dude, awesome. So what's it about?
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Brief synopsis from the intro:

You are the newest member of a secret organization known as F.E.A.R. (First Encounter Assault Recon) spefically designed to combat paranormal and supernatural threats. You are highly trained and have amazing (almost supernatural) reflexes, which manifest themselves in a Max Payne-like bullet time.

The trouble starts at a private firm under a government contract for the military. The project? Create a battlion of cloned soldiers under the mental command of a telepathic leader. In this case, the leader is one Paxton Fettel, who escapes from the facility, now with one thousand super-soldiers bent to his whim.

You're called in to hunt him down and stop this before it gets out of hand, like into the public eye. There's more to this than just Fettel, however. How much, I don't know, but there is a creepy little girl that keeps appearing in visions, hallucinations, and in reality.

Combat is fierce and brutal. You have to hump cover and quite often abuse your right to slo-mo. The weapons are fun, loud, and worthwhile for the most part, each weapon has a niche from what I can see.

The only real downside? Huge system requirements.

No Co-Op, which I would have loved, but there is your standard fare of multiplayer options, including CTF.
zac naloen
Apprentice

Post by zac naloen »

All i can say after buying this is..

I need a graphics card upgrade and i need it now!! This game will be so pretty when i buy myself a shiny new one.

I have a geforce 5600fx anyone want to recommend me an upgrade that won't break the bank?
Last edited by zac naloen on Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Unremarkables
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Check my graphics card limeup in the sub forum.

Overall I need this game, but I need my new PC more. Hotfoot, write up a review?
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I will write a full review when I finish the game, which shouldn't take too much longer, the pace I've been playing it. :)
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Good, also, if you can post some vague benchmarks I'd appreciate it.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I'll give some rough approximations, but sadly, I don't have any sort of benchmarking tools.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Get Fraps and just run and write down the FPS every once in a while. It would give us a general guide.