Interesting idea; thoughts requested

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

#1 Interesting idea; thoughts requested

Post by Stofsk »

I had in mind to run a game using Traveller 20 rules. The rules aren't important though, because I had this thought.

It's an original sci-fi setting I'm working on, and I wanted the game to have political intrigue and stuff but also paired with adventuring of the sort where characters might be doing secret missions and such the like.

So I thought, what if it were two games? Like, one game the players are power brokers and big wigs, who are involved in politicking and so on but they need agents and spies and troubleshooters to do stuff for them. So that's where game two comes into it, where the players are the spies or agents who are infiltrating a base to get documents or hunting down someone who's got information or whatever.

This would lead to interesting developments where the players in game A succeed or fail based on the actions of players in game B; conversely, the players in B need supplies, support and resources in order to do their job effectively, so they're kind of dependent on the players from A.

This is an interesting thought but I doubt I'd have the time to run two games. I thought I'd make a thread though to discuss the topic hypothetically. Have you guys tried this? Hotfoot did something similar in our Star Wars VOIP game and I thought it was pretty novel. It makes the player think 'there's a larger world I'm a part of' rather than just character on a piece of paper. Thoughts?
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

The easiest thing is to have a GM running two games with two groups that are relatively unrelated, the more interconnected things are, the harder it is to coordinate things.

Games with two groups are easier to do in the short term, like with one-offs, I've done a few over the years, mostly at cons, or like I did with the Saga game. When they are done well, it's awesome, but when it's out of sync, well...