Hamas Sweeps Palistinian Election

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

#1 Hamas Sweeps Palistinian Election

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Hamas sweeps to victory in Palestinian election
AFP
Friday, January 27, 2006

RAMALLAH, West Bank, (AFP) - Hamas triggered a political earthquake yesterday with a sweeping victory in the Palestinian election, a result that has raised widespread alarm about the prospects for Middle East peace.

The Islamic Resistance Movement won a massive 76 of 132 seats in the Ramallah-based parliament, while the long-dominant Fatah faction won just 43, election commission head Hanna Nasser said at a press conference.

Prime minister Ahmed Qorei resigned immediately after conceding the Fatah faction, founded by the late Yasser Arafat decades ago, had been defeated by a movement contesting its first ever parliamentary election.

Jubilant Hamas supporters broke into the Ramallah-based parliament and hauled down the Palestinian flag from the roof, replacing it with a green Islamist banner as thousands of other followers took to the streets of the West Bank and Gaza in seas of green.

Israel struggled to take in the implications of the shock result, but made it clear it would have nothing to do with a government that included Hamas -- a movement that has killed scores of Israelis over the past two decades.

As Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas urged all parties to respect the result of only the second ever general election Wednesday, international players such as the United States and Europe made clear their unease at the outcome.

US President George W. Bush said Hamas must renounce its call to destroy Israel and that he would like to see Abbas remain in power.

"Peace is never dead, because people want peace," he told reporters.

"On the other hand, I don't see how you can be a partner in peace if you advocate the destruction of a country as part of your platform. And I know you can't be a partner in peace if your party has got an armed wing," he said.

Hamas's chief candidate Ismail Haniya said the movement would hold talks with Abbas, insisting it did not want to go it alone.

"Hamas is not going to work alone, but with the other groups who represent the Palestinian people," he said.

Abbas himself said in a statement that the results had to be respected as the election had been conducted freely and fairly.

"I urge all the parties to respect the law and accept the will of the people," he added.
Dressing thy links is good

Now, who wants to place bets on what percentage of their GDP will be funneled into terrorist operations or a flat out attack on israel?
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

There is no damn way Hamas can be trusted to embrace the idea of a peace process that doesn't involve a wide spread slaughter of Israelis and the burning down of the Israeli government.

They have been the biggest oppotents of the peace process for the love of God. Trusting them would be like trusting a pack of wolves to guard the flock.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

more like trusting an HIV infected pedophile alone in a daycare center.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

Don't trust them a bit.

There's been a case of a terrorist backed 'party' moderating signifigantly after getting into power.. Sinn Fein.. And ultimately leading to disarment. But while that possibility exists, it's gotta be around the level of Bush coming out tomorrow and saying 'You know what? I broke the law. Me and the rest of the administration will be going peacefully with the nice officers now.'
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Lord Stormbringer
The Red Duke

Post by Lord Stormbringer »

SirNitram wrote:Don't trust them a bit.

There's been a case of a terrorist backed 'party' moderating signifigantly after getting into power.. Sinn Fein.. And ultimately leading to disarment. But while that possibility exists, it's gotta be around the level of Bush coming out tomorrow and saying 'You know what? I broke the law. Me and the rest of the administration will be going peacefully with the nice officers now.'
The only problem is that Sinn Fien and the IRA are a completely seperate animal from Hamas. For one thing, the IRA is not nearly as nutso as Hamas. Both from a perspective of operation and idealogy Hamas is far, far worse. They believe they're on a holy mission to wipe out Israel and all the Jews therein; the IRA just wanted Ireland. And were willing to let the British be once they got that. Add in the sheer fanaticism with which many of them believe that and there isn't a lot of room for them to moderate in.