Order of the Stick Comment thread 611 and counting.

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

He's in for a disappointment by the time it ends, then.

Incidentally, regarding Haley in the last frame... :lol:
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Unfortunately, we appear to be in the Infrequent Update Zone once again - ten days and still nothing. :sad:
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I was wondering if he's sick again :sad:

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Well, he seems to be all better now, we have an update.

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

BOOM! 692!

Elan needs more AC.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

693 is out.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Poor Elan.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

What a dick.
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, it's got to be in the desert somewhere. Soon may not have known the exact position, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't dumb enough to buy it being in the middle of the desert when he'd been there already if it was not, in fact, in the desert.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I'm gonna rant more about Girard and why not?

It seems pretty clear to me that Girard let his biases run away with him. He doesn't like Soon and doesn't like authority. Therefore any reason Soon or an authority would have for seeking out the gate must automatically be bad. I mean hell he doesn't even consider that 3rd parties would come looking for the gate, he's completely aimed at the paladins.

He also seems to have something against religion and the gods, which in his environment (the gods are damn easy to prove) seems more a case of being stuck up then anything else. I mean glorified petting zoo? Those guys are directly responsible for creating the world, you can say alot of things (for example after reading Start of Darkness you could call them a bunch of fucking asshole bastards) but that was ridiculous. Note I said in his environment, this isn't meant to be a potshot at modern day atheism which is operating in a very different place.

Basically because one fucking dick of a sorcerer can't let go of his personal issues, the world is now in much deeper shit. Thanks alot Girard. Guess what ass? Soon? Gonna be better regarded in the future then you, assuming the Order of the Stick pull one off and save the world, no thanks to you.

Yes this rant is silly but I'm blowing off steam before a final. :smile:
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:I
He also seems to have something against religion and the gods, which in his environment (the gods are damn easy to prove) seems more a case of being stuck up then anything else. I mean glorified petting zoo? Those guys are directly responsible for creating the world, you can say alot of things (for example after reading Start of Darkness you could call them a bunch of fucking asshole bastards) but that was ridiculous. Note I said in his environment, this isn't meant to be a potshot at modern day atheism which is operating in a very different place.
A small correction: Girard is mocking the Southern Gods the Paladin's worship. Girard is a northerner and the gods are foreign to him. He's mocking the gods of the people he dislikes. We don't know his feelings on religion in general.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Oh, dear. :shock:

Now I'm really worried because Elan, Haley and especially Vaarsuvius and Blackwing don't have Roy's hit points and we didn't see them land safely. Plus, they were closer to the blast, and that blast was meant for Soon of all people.

This had better not result in the party being split due to death again.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

I wonder if Girard is still alive? He's a wizard so it's possible, and if that's the case then he just got a notice that his trap was activated. His reaction would probably tell us a lot. Girard has had six decades to mellow out, he couldn't possibly expect Soon to be anything but long dead, and he should have been notified that Soon's gate has been destroyed (along with Dorukan's and Liran's). So if he's at all rational at this point he has to guess that something has gone very wrong. Alternatively, if he's held on to his paranoid grudges all this time, a possibility given that he never bothered to ammend the trap after he set it, then he's going to be hatching paranoid conspiracies right about now.

On the other hand, the fact that Girard has not amended his trap is odd, even if he's not the kind to ever let go of a grudge. He placed a bet that Soon would break his oath inside of 12 weeks. It's been six decades. I think something happened to that guy and the rod up his ass. Not altogether unlikely, as his was one of the two most weakly protected (up there with Serini's). Then there's also Dorukan's mysterious disappearance about six months before the story even started. We've never gotten an explanation for that one. So Girard at this point is a bit of a question mark.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

He's a sorcerer actually. If he is still alive and hasn't moved yet the bastard is not only an arrogant paranoid dick, he's an incompetent arrogant paranoid dick. I mean he should have been alerted that two, count 'em TWO gates have fallen. By now the fall of Azure City to a horde of hobgolins led by a high priest of the Dark One and an undead spellcaster should be racing around the world. Durokan and the elf have disappeared for over a year.

If I was a high level near immortal ex-adventurer charged with defending one of the threats against reality itself I would be paying a tad more attention to current events, wouldn't you?

I'll bet even money he's dead. If he is dead I hope to hell they let Soon come over to gloat right in his face. Hey guess what? A Paladin's Honor was unbreakable. You Jackass Stuck up Sorcerer.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:H
Hey guess what? A Paladin's Honor was unbreakable. You Jackass Stuck up Sorcerer.
Miko *cough cough*
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Didn't go looking for other gates did she?
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The statement was about paladin's honor, not whether she committed a particular violation. And she threw her honor away, just as I said.

My statement stands.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Her problem wasn't honor, her problem was she was psychopath who couldn't let go of things. Not to mention she did keep trying to do her duty.

Sorry. Nope. Doesn't apply here.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Elan continues to amuse me! Couple things I liked there, the !!1! and the LUV bit at the end. The end with Belkar and V was funny as well.

Cat claims what Belkar whispered to V was along the lines of "fake it." How many here agree?

To be honest I would murder 7 bullfrogs to find out the answer.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:Her problem wasn't honor, her problem was she was psychopath who couldn't let go of things. Not to mention she did keep trying to do her duty.

Sorry. Nope. Doesn't apply here.
She defied her oaths to her sovereign and gods in favor of her personal vendetta. She wasn't a psychopath.

Applies.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

It wasn't Belkar that was whispering, it was the Raven, note the way the wing is bent as though it was shielding its beak, which was open. Most likely the bird was once again acting as V's moral center.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

Cynical Cat wrote:She defied her oaths to her sovereign and gods in favor of her personal vendetta.
Not quite. She was blinded to the truth by a personal vendetta, but her actions were done under the belief that her sovereign had become a traitor against his own people. A contract becomes invalid when its terms are broken by one of the parties. If her accussations had been true, Miko would not have Fallen.

In any case, it's kind of ridiculous to taint a whole institution by one individual. There will always be people that do not meet the standards, and how an organization deals with these people is a far better measure than the fact that they exist. Miko had her paladinship revoked by the gods the moment she broke her oath, and was then arrested by her fellow paladins. This shows that the Azure Guard is, in fact, capable of self-policing itself, both by material and super-natural means.

I think the evidence shows honour of the paladins as a whole is as close to literally unbreakable as you can get with an institution composed of fallible beings.
Last edited by Hadrianvs on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Hadrianvs wrote:
I think the evidence shows honour of the paladins as a whole is as close to literally unbreakable as you can get with an institution composed of fallible beings.
That's not what frigid said. Frigid said a Paladin's honour is unbreakable, not that the Sapphire Guard was an honourable institution. Miko proves otherwise by willfully ignoring the signs from her gods that she had strayed and dishonoured herself to pursue her murderous vendetta.

If she had been honourable she would have attempted to atone for her mistakes after the gods she swore to serve faithfully stripped her of her paladin status. Instead she ignored the clear signs of her oathsworn superiors to continue on her path. Therefore she is dishonourable and therefore paladins can and do dishonour themselves.
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Woo, a Miko debate. Who wants to bet that this thing will have to be split into a separate thread which will become at least as long as this one? :grin:
Cynical Cat wrote:
Hadrianvs wrote:
That's not what frigid said. Frigid said a Paladin's honour is unbreakable, not that the Sapphire Guard was an honourable institution. Miko proves otherwise by willfully ignoring the signs from her gods that she had strayed and dishonoured herself to pursue her murderous vendetta.
She didn't ignore them, she misinterpreted them.
Cynical Cat wrote:If she had been honourable she would have attempted to atone for her mistakes after the gods she swore to serve faithfully stripped her of her paladin status. Instead she ignored the clear signs of her oathsworn superiors to continue on her path. Therefore she is dishonourable and therefore paladins can and do dishonour themselves.

More like "insane", since never once did she say in her inner monologues that she was rejecting the will of the gods. To the contrary she was fanatically, monomanically obsessed with following what she thought were signs from her gods. Her sin was not dishonor, but pride and inflexibility. So, proud to the point of insanity.

EDIT: it would be better to say that "a paladin's honor may be unbreakable, but that is not the only virtue a person needs to have".
Last edited by The Minx on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.