WV Primary: May 13th

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1 WV Primary: May 13th

Post by LadyTevar »

I think this quote says alot about WVian attitudes right now:
Charleston Daily Mail wrote:Another recent poll, commissioned by TSG Consulting, shows that 63 percent of likely voters prefer Clinton as the nominee. Twenty-three percent favor Obama.
Last edited by LadyTevar on Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Charleston Daily Mail wrote:Presidential Endorsement:

Of the Democrats, Hillary Clinton has the strongest policy background
WEST Virginia Democrats will express themselves Tuesday almost at the end of their party's bruising primary process. For many, the choice will be an uncomfortable one.

Both Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are from the liberal wing of the Democratic party. West Virginia Democrats tend to be more conservative.

Nevertheless, they must make a choice on Tuesday.

The Daily Mail, which is philosophically at odds with both contenders for the Democratic nomination, endorses Hillary Clinton. She is by far the more experienced of the Democratic candidates, and the one who has had to learn the most about West Virginia.

A Yale-educated lawyer, a former congressional staffer and former first lady of Arkansas, Hillary Clinton stumbled awkwardly onto the national stage. The Clintons, it was said, did not know the ways of Washington.

She was ridiculed for fashion choices at her husband's inaugural in 1992. She was excoriated for trying to bypass Congress and make health care policy herself.

But Hillary's history is that she keeps going, as she has during this primary campaign.

This trait has produced a broad, deep background in policy. She has been an activist for children, migrant laborers, civil rights, higher standards in education, the Children's Health Insurance Program and more.

She won a U.S. Senate seat in New York in 2000 and was re-elected by a larger margin in 2006. No one questions her readiness for Washington any more.

Now Hillary would be president, and Bill would be not baking the cookies or pouring the tea. Some Americans can't countenance the prospect of another Clinton co-presidency.

Either Democrat will have a tough time this fall against Republican John McCain, whose service, policy experience and bipartisan accomplishments trump Hillary's.

Of the Democrats, though, Hillary would be the stronger candidate.
Bolding mine. The DailyMail is the Right-Wing Conservative Republi-tard evening newspaper that hits 80% of the state. That they want Clinton is a good reason NOT to vote for her.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I have spoken to both a co-worker and My Own Mother, who have been swayed not to vote for Obama because their CHURCH PASTORS are sayng he's the Anti-Christ come to rule us all.

I really thought my mom was smarter than that, but she is 72yrs old, and grew up in a town where the blacks were segegrated not only by schools, but by churchs and the very holler they lived up. Even when I was growing up, only 'blacks and white trash' lived in certain hollers, and a white woman with a black baby was scorned by the older folks.

Race and Religious Insanity will give Clinton this state :evil:

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

No offense Tev, but West Virginia will not save Clinton, even with attitudes like this. She'll pick a few delegates up, but she's trying to bail out the tide with a thimble.

Obama gained more delegates TODAY just from newly pledged superdelegates than Clinton will win next Tuesday from the entire state.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Oh, I know that. But she's working it hard.

Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

One of Clinton's biggest support bases is elderly people, especially older women (she ALWAYS wins the women over 65 vote, and I think the over 50 as well, while Obama usually wins the vote of anyone under age 40) and nothing personal Tev, but West Virginia is full of old people who are stuck in their hills while the young people flee to find jobs or other opportunities.

I also can't help but laugh at the thought of Obama being the Anti-Christ. I'm sorry, but it cracks me up to think about it. The thought of a mixed-race guy actually maybe getting into a position of power is making the crazies wet themselves.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

Even if I don't think Obama is the best man in this race for the job, I have to admit I'll have a great swell of schadenfreude if he's elected and all of those racist nitwits start blabbering.
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Charleston Daily Mail wrote:Tuesday May 13, 2008
TODAY: Election running smoothly in Kanawha, Putnam

With the exception of one location, polling places in Kanawha and Putnam counties opened without delays this morning and ran smoothly in the early hours.

Because of a supply worker arriving late, one Sissonville location opened behind schedule, said Vera McCormick, Kanawha County Clerk.

"Some of the machines in other locations didn't start up right away, but that didn't stop us from voting," McCormick said.

Kanawha County has already tallied 7,000 votes cast in early ballots, McCormick said. Details on the size of the turnout for today's primary election were not yet available, but McCormick said she expects one for the history books.

"We expect to have people waiting in line," she said. "We're a swing state and important when it comes to this election. We're all ready to go."

No delays were reported for Putnam County polling locations, said Brian Wood, Putnam County clerk.

Putnam County has counted about 2,200 votes cast during the early period, Wood said. In the still contested primary, there has been light to average turnout reported this morning with things seeming to run smoothly.

"Obviously, we're going to have hurdles and little questions from poll workers, but we haven't had any major problems," Wood said.

A record 76,519 West Virginians cast early ballots in the primary during the early voting period that ran from April 23 to May 10, according Secretary of State Betty Ireland's office. The previous record, set in 2004, was 27,226.

More than 70 percent of those early ballots were cast by Democrats in the highly contested Democratic primary between senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.
There was a line when I went to vote, and many people in this nice middle-to-low-upper class white neighborhood were talking Obama. One fiesty senior citizen had to be asked to remove the Obama For President pins from her jacket before entering the polling precinct.

Now. Think about that a second.

Little. Fiesty. 60+ Female. Voting Obama.

:twisted: I think this race might be as surprising as Illinois.

Lord Iames Osari
Initiate

Post by Lord Iames Osari »

Do we have results yet?
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Clinton took the state. Most counties had less than 20% voting Obama. Those with more were the counties with college towns or sizable black populations.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

She gained 12 delegates over him (20-8) according to CNN. That's almost exactly half of what he's picked up in superdelegates over the last week. CNN has him leading by 166.

Next stop, KY and OR.

EDIT: And apparently things in Oregon are turning out much more favorably than I anticipated. I'd been hearing how things were very very close there, but the Portland newspapers are now claiming Obama's got a 20-point lead in the polls. Even assuming that A: They're exaggerating, and B: Undecideds may break her way, a nice 8-10 point victory in Oregon should serve to nail this one down.
Last edited by General Havoc on Wed May 14, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

Obama seemed to net 10 votes yesterday somehow, because now he's only 140 votes from the magic number. Clinton remains 308.

There are 189 pledged delegates remaining, and 239 superdelegates having not publically declared.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Does that count the 'mystery supers' that have yet to be chosen?

SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

LadyTevar wrote:Does that count the 'mystery supers' that have yet to be chosen?
Yes. The only Delegates it does not count are the Florida and Michigan bozos, and possibly the Gentleman From Mississippi elected last night into a +10 point Republican district, despite an ad storm trying to tie him to Obama and Wright.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.