His Majesty's Dragons

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

...Too late it seems, Fulminatus was available anyway, it seems.

Righto, editing back before replying...

EDIT: ...and done. On you, Havoc.
Last edited by rhoenix on Fri May 02, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Post by Jason_Firewalker »

Breed: Parnassian

Length: 60 feet without tail, 74 feet with

Weight: 30 tonnes

Name: Nex Paciscor (Death Dealer)

Captain's Name: John McLevvin

Description: A young man of 19, John stands about 5' 9" and weighs in at 156 pounds, he has green eyes and red hair, a typical Irishman. He has a short beard grown to cover a scar from his childhood (his father used to beat him), and he has several scars over his body.

Brief Bio (captain): A truly patriotic young lad, he left his troubled family life behind when he was fifteen to join up as a cadet with the RAF. His time with the RAF was briefly cut down for a short while when he broke his foot in a training accident. He was reassigned to a breeding grounds expecting to never make captain and that his duties would be to watch dragons at play all day. But one day he found an egg in a cave, and after pondering the consequences he kept it a secret. He came back to the cave during most of his free time and even requested a leave when the egg hardened. He was soon in captaincy of a young and very aggressive Parnassian.

Breif Bio (Dragon): Nex Paciscor was egged by a pair of Parnassians in a northern Scottish breeding grounds. His egg was laid far aways from most of the other clutches and thus was not found till about half way through his gestation, cared for by John, Nex Paciscor grew into a large and incharge and very aggressive Parnassian.

Brief Bio (Combined): Nex Paciscor and John McLavvin were aghast when they came back to RAF local command and they attempted to seperate man from beast but neither would let go of the other. As things went to be, the pair was shipped off to Loch Laggen and trained as any other heavyweight and his captain would. Assigned a crew the duo has been up to no good for the German Lufftwaffae ever since they were popped outta Loch Laggen and into the skies over Britian.

Crew:

Command Compartment:
Lt. Steve Niles: First Officer and Radioman
Master Srgt Thomas Brady: Master At Arms
Lt. Remy LeDeoux: Artificer and Navigator
Doctor Harold Lompack: Medic

The rest of my crew will be named and armed with period weapons in an additional post if I get approved.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

All right, I REALLY hate to do this... but...

Cynical Cat, I understand you're playing your character in a specific way and all, and that's fine, but you cannot swear at your superior officer in the RAF. You cannot call him ignorant and stupid and mouth off to him in front of other officers, and certainly not in front of his dragon. Defaming a captain to their dragon is a very serious offense in the books (tied up with people trying to steal dragons from one another), which I didn't insist upon because this is 140 years later. I don't want to say you can't play your character how you like, but...

I mean you can play him this way if you want, but I'm having a harder and harder time thinking up ways to not court-martial him.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Now then, the new business:

Firewalker, firstly "Found a dragon in a cave" is not the most reasonable excuse. It takes an act of god to "find" a random dragon egg, and it takes another act of god to be permitted to keep it. Somewhere like Appalachia, with a native breed, it makes more sense. A Parnassian is a heavyweight, and is in a country like Britain, and their eggs are followed carefully and tracked. You cannot just "happen" upon one like that. There are not so many as to permit such things.

Secondly, Ireland is (mostly) not part of the UK. Unless you're from Ulster, then "patriotism" would require you to serve in the Irish Air Force, which does not have Parnassians.

Thirdly, I'd need some idea of the personality of both captain and dragon in order to make a call on this.

Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Okay as to address your concerns General Havoc, here are my replies:

1: Its not unheard of for dragons to clutch outside the breeding pens, that has been made clear in the book series and I assumed it would be okay for it to happen with a heavyweight since the books dont state either way, if thats a glaring problem then I will rectify and change my bio.

2: He is northern Irish, and thus patriotic to queen and country (IE Britian)

3:

Personality (Captain): Taciturn and bereft of most posetive emotions externally he is a man with a down look on life. For him the glass is always half empty. He loves god and country and the king. He will serve to his death and hopes that maybe some day he will be rewarded for his service but till then he will annhilate the Nazi infestation.

Personality (Dragon): Her personality can be summed up in four words: Calculating Psychopathic Homocidial Maniac. When she is not busy killing others she is busy thinking of new ways to murder the enemy. She loves her fellow dragons on her side for one reason only, they allow her to kill more enemies. She has a thick hide for most commentary about her breed. She loves her captain, John McLavvin with an undying passion and protects him to the end. She also has a thing for ripping the enemy's throat out and other such bloody and gorey manuvers, as she feels it is better to inspire awe in her enemy.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

General Havoc wrote:I don't want to say you can't play your character how you like, but...

I mean you can play him this way if you want, but I'm having a harder and harder time thinking up ways to not court-martial him.
Then do it. The character came out more self destructive than I initially planned, but that's the way it came out and it feels right to play him this way. I have never asked not to suffer the consequences of my actions. In fact, I tend to bitch when other people don't suffer the consequences of their actions because of GM mercy/wanking their own abilities.

Reynolds is a cynical survivor of the First World War who has been given a lot more leeway than usual because:

1) He's very good at what he does and he's usually right

2) He does follow orders and gets results

3) He does have a rapport with Wendigos and can get them to merely act like assholes instead of like serial killers.

4) Pity. He's maimed, in constant pain, with no chance of ever leading a normal life.

5) Most of his commanders choose not to discuss details with him and just tell him to get it done, which is not the case here.

He's tired of seeing people he's trained dying from incompetence. That combined with the death wish is why he's not quiet with his opinions. Special Operations doesn't think he's stable enough for them anymore from a combination of his death wish and combat fatigue, which he's why he's in the ranks.

If Rankin wants him gone by means of a court martial or a transfer, then you as the GM can make it happen. I handed that to you on platter. If, on the other hand, Rankin thinks that Reynolds's abilities are worth putting up with him, keep him.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

For the record, the idea of having Veritas, Frostfell, and Nex Paciscor (if Jason_Firewalker's allowed the Parnassian) as the squad's heavyweights is hilarious to me.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Psychopaths don't love anything and are consumate manipulators and social chameleons. A psychopathic dragon might like his captain, but he would be willing to betray (and if he thought he could get away with it kill) him. Frostfell is a vicious, bullying monster but a psychopath is an order of magnitude worse (although probably outwardly more likable due to the lying and manipulating).
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Jason_Firewalker wrote:Personality (Dragon): Her personality can be summed up in four words: Calculating Psychopathic Homocidial Maniac. When she is not busy killing others she is busy thinking of new ways to murder the enemy. She loves her fellow dragons on her side for one reason only, they allow her to kill more enemies. She has a thick hide for most commentary about her breed. She loves her captain, John McLavvin with an undying passion and protects him to the end. She also has a thing for ripping the enemy's throat out and other such bloody and gorey manuvers, as she feels it is better to inspire awe in her enemy.
I'm sorry, we already have a dragon like this. His name's Frostfell.

Try again.

Also, Havoc's right. Only in backwoods third-world holes would you find a HEAVY dragon egg of a useful breed outside the breeding colony. I got away with Jebediah because 1. he's a Lightweight of a 'junk' breed and 2.It's WV (Backwoods Third-World)

If you don't believe me on #2, realize that there were places where Electricity didn't hit until the 1970s, and even today we still have communities without 'city water' or sewage other than septic tanks. In 1940, the community that Judith is from was still farming with mules, seeing with oil or carbine lamps, and walking to church while the railroad along the river was moving hundred-ton cars of coal and lumber to their Out-Of-State Owners and making millions.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Parnassians are already known for being the worst sorts of bullies and you want to make this once worse? For the simple fact of party unity if nothing else I'm saying no to this.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Alright then I will switch up the backstory and personality of the dragon to suit this.

Bio (Captain): A truly patriotic young lad, he left his troubled family life behind when he was fifteen to join up as a cadet with the RAF. His time with the RAF was briefly cut down for a short while when he broke his foot in a training accident. He was reassigned to a breeding grounds expecting to never make captain and that his duties would be to watch dragons at play all day. Soon he grew weary of such duty and requested reassignment. With a few favors called in amoungst his old crew members he was soon onboard a Malachite Reaper headed south. Serving on the Reaper for a year he was chosen to become a captain when an egg was availiable. He is a competent if outwardly cold hearted captain.

Bio/Personality (Dragon): Having grown to full size in two months after hatching, Nex has taken to her captain like a fish to water, she is cold and calculating in her way but she is more doing so out of concern. She bullies smaller dragons because she sees them lacking in some way or another and wants to fix it so she does what she thinks of as gentle nudging (to most snide and sarcastic remarks in the least) to get them to try and improve themselves. She sees their fear of looking bad as her weapon in improving them, the problem with this whole outlook is that she will find fault in anything, and barring that she will create fault.

She loves her captain and can rarely find fault in his quiet exterior, and the fact he lets most everything roll off his back
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The True Resurrection would undo the chartrusing of the Gnome
-- My friend figuring out how to permanently turn a gnome chartreuse

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
--HP Lovecraft in Call Of Cthulhu
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

So.... she's a Jewish Mother? *giggles at the thought of a dragon nagging other dragons*

You do know that Jebediah will get to the point he'll politely tell her to jump in a lake.
Frostfell won't be that nice.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

I've never met a Parnassian that could legitimately be described as "cold and calculating". Wendigo, certainly. Malachites, perhaps. Crimson Angels and Neonejwake and Marais-Pecheurs and Hudson Ridgebacks and many other breeds, yes, I can see. Parnassians however are usually filled with bluster and boisterousness, not calculation and frost.

That is not a rejection, merely an observation. Dragons vary as much as people do, and one can (theoretically) find an immature Malachite, an intelligent Winchester, a placid Thunderchild, or a kind Wendigo (don't hold your breath on that one). These however are the exceptions, not the rules, and there need to be reasons for them. I would rather, Firewalker, that you not overtly dodge the breed characteristics on this one, but that's up to you.

Does anyone have any objections before I rule on this one?
Last edited by General Havoc on Tue May 06, 2008 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

LadyTevar wrote:So.... she's a Jewish Mother? *giggles at the thought of a dragon nagging other dragons*

You do know that Jebediah will get to the point he'll politely tell her to jump in a lake.
Frostfell won't be that nice.
"You're so skinny! Why don't you eat?! And how come you don't settle down with a nice girl like your friend Invictus? All you do is go out and drink and play cards!"

Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Basically, yes, a jewish mother for a dragon but a little more rough around the edges. No longer is my dragon evil and calculating, she is nice and caring, but yet still a b!tch.
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Actually, I had a few thoughts while re-reading your revision, Firewalker.

Since you're all attached to the idea of a Parnassian, alright - have her be the nervous, jumpy, worrywart type. The kind that causes messy accidents to happen when she's surprised or scared suddenly. She'd likely talk too much as well, throwing out non sequiturs at times.

However, to avoid one-dimensionality, when she's fully in combat, her fear fades away; as if she becomes instinctive instead of overthinking and worried; fearless and cunning instead of nervous. Conversation for her in this state is difficult at best - I can imagine her giving terse, one to two-word answers and questions while in battlelust.

Of course, for fun, she won't know the link between the two - but her Captain will.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Jason_Firewalker wrote:Basically, yes, a jewish mother for a dragon but a little more rough around the edges. No longer is my dragon evil and calculating, she is nice and caring, but yet still a b!tch.
The word is BITCH, Jason :grin:

We can curse on the forum, there's no NetNanny here.

*And, just cause SouthPark came to mind, what with Jewish Mothers and all*

~Oh... John's dragon is a bitch she's a big fat bitch she's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world~

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:there's no NetNanny here.
Tev here is this forum's equivalent of NetNanny. Note that she's encouraging the full spelling of swearwords.

That alone should tell you quite a bit about this place. Bwaha.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

rhoenix wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:there's no NetNanny here.
Tev here is this forum's equivalent of NetNanny. Note that she's encouraging the full spelling of swearwords.

That alone should tell you quite a bit about this place. Bwaha.
See... I knew SOMEONE would accuse me of being the NetNanny. I just KNEW it.

I'm the friggin Empress of Evil, not a Net Nanny dammit!

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Ooo, can I be the netnanny? I swear I'll use my powers for good. It's not like the Empress of Evil calls me mean all the time, or that Cynical Cat ever called me evil... :grin:
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

In this thread, I shall decide who gets to be the Net Nanny, and who does not.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

General Havoc wrote:In this thread, I shall decide who gets to be the Net Nanny, and who does not.
And you will decide.... as soon as you do a GM post in the thread, right? :twisted:

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

LadyTevar wrote:
General Havoc wrote:In this thread, I shall decide who gets to be the Net Nanny, and who does not.
And you will decide.... as soon as you do a GM post in the thread, right? :twisted:
We'll all be in old folks homes by then. :razz:
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Okay I was unsure if one was able to swear on this forum, as most other forums I have seen do not allow it. I will feel free to swear as much as I like then.
-- Sir Issac Asimov

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Jason_Firewalker wrote:Okay I was unsure if one was able to swear on this forum, as most other forums I have seen do not allow it. I will feel free to swear as much as I like then.
Fuckin' A Right.

I usually follow the old adage "Profanity is the ignorant person's method of using emphasis," but sometimes, you really have to call someone a hemorrhoidal whore.

- William Gibson