Evil Sorceress

KoLA: Ask questions and seek answers for Kingdom of Loathing
The Dark
Apprentice

#1 Evil Sorceress

Post by The Dark »

So, do those who have already Ascended have any advice for how to take her down? And if so, what class and level were you and all, since each class probably needs different strategies (what works for a Muscle class probably won't work for a Mysticality class).
Nephtys
Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

The signs only offer small, but different benefits. It's perfectly OK to use a musclehead with a moxie sign and so on. Muscley people still need mystical benefits and Moxie stuff, etc.

The biggest difference is which new town you access, which really does change the way your ascension ends up. Jewlery and Mind Control Items from Canadia, Mushrooms and such from the Knoll, or Clockwork junk from the Camp.
"I like me"
Pure Sabacc
Imperious Underling

Post by Pure Sabacc »

Nephtys wrote:The signs only offer small, but different benefits. It's perfectly OK to use a musclehead with a moxie sign and so on. Muscley people still need mystical benefits and Moxie stuff, etc.

The biggest difference is which new town you access, which really does change the way your ascension ends up. Jewlery and Mind Control Items from Canadia, Mushrooms and such from the Knoll, or Clockwork junk from the Camp.

I believe that you have misplaced your post. :)
The Dark
Apprentice

Post by The Dark »

OK, I'll place a bit of advice in here.

Saucerors: use Stream of Sauce with a Kickback Cookbook as your primary weapon. Since she blocks a lot of your spells, you can't afford to cast anything else. Saucy Salve is useless; take Red Pixel Potions with you for healing, and possibly the Mosquito for familiar. I recommend using the Furry Outfit to drop Moxie as low as it'll go, to reduce her ability to injure you. I took about half as much damage wearing the Furry as I did wearing Star Garb.
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

Bringing this one back because I have the same problem.

I've tried every strategy I've found on the internet and have spent thousands of meat on everything from plot holes to weird helmets to stinkbombs and I can't beat that damn sorceress. I've worn furry suits, HP-boosting suits, star garb, whatever. Nothing works. I've only gotten to her second form once.

I just bought a Mech familiar and am leveling that up. Is there anything else I can do to finally beat her down?

This is so frustrating to me that I'm going to be a seal clubber when I ascend so I can get the lunging thrust-smack and not deal with this stupid crap.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

Lunging Thrust Smack doesn't work so well either.

I ended up blowing two million to bring my Disco Bandit and Seal Clubber along. My Sauceror blasted through on his first try, by virtue of three Kickback Cookbooks and Stream of Sauce.

What worked for the other characters was the Furry Suit in conjunction with a LOT of torpedos and red pixel potions.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
consequences
Acolyte

Post by consequences »

Lets see, my Disco boy barely made it through, with one hit point, going with the furry garb. This was on the seventh try or so total, but first try with the low moxie.

My Seal clubber made it through first time, but again only just. Normal thrustsmacks will work about as well as most items, but you have to remember that lunging thrustsmacks are expensive as hell, and are using the Wand of Nagamar with its crappy power 30 for the base attack, so they end up not being worth it for the one inthree that gets through. Again, this is with the Furry Garb.

I have to say, the low moxie really seems to be the way to go. But it comes down to luck at least a little. Hit her with plot holes until she isn't regularly hitting you, then take the opportunity to whale on her with normal attacks. She'll do her little recovery, but as far as I can tell, she doesn't regain hit points when she goes back up to normal power.
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

So...if I just wear the Furry Suit, hurl plot holes at her, drink red pixel potions, and have my mecha launching missiles at her, I should be able to take her down? Anything else? Should I wear the acid flower accessory and bejeweled accordian HP-boosting whatnots?

And how many of these items should I get? I'm raiding the clan stash of plot holes now that my candle scheme has been completed.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

I love plot holes. It's done me two out of three times very well for my Accordion Thief and Sauceror, though to clarify, the third time I didn't need it and that was with my kick ass Seal Clubber.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

I went with 40 of each, Maya. But then, the Plot Holes will probably screw her up more than the torps did.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
CDiehl
Acolyte

Post by CDiehl »

Is there any way to switch weapons between stages in the Naughty Sorceress battle without leaving the battle altogether? I can beat the first two forms of her using a star staff and some spells, but using the wand in place of the star staff means I can't do crap to her without throwing a ton of spells.
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

BEAT HER FINALLY!

I barely made it, and only because she wasn't attacking much at all. The plot holes were hitting 2/3 of the time. I read in some strategy guide that the more you get beaten up by her, the easier the battle gets. Lunging Thrust Smack still isn't as expensive as Moxious Manuver at high levels. I still think I'll do a quick Seal Clubber ascension before going back to being an Accordian Thief. Heck, I have been learning all the verses to the "Baby Seal Song" anyway.

"You don't bludgeon a seal, 'cause you want a meal.
You do it 'cause you wanna hear those little suckers squeal (Ai! Ai! Ai!).
You hit 'em on the head, and you do it just for kicks,
And you poke out their eyes with your eye-poking sticks! (Two, three, four...)"
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

*wipes away a tear*
Ack, I couldna sung it better m'self. Here...*passes you an ice cold imp ale* tiss on th' 'ouse.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

CDiehl wrote:Is there any way to switch weapons between stages in the Naughty Sorceress battle without leaving the battle altogether? I can beat the first two forms of her using a star staff and some spells, but using the wand in place of the star staff means I can't do crap to her without throwing a ton of spells.
Nope, you have to go through all three stages with the Wand or you'll lose and start over.

Congratulations, Mayabird!
CDiehl
Acolyte

Post by CDiehl »

I beat her this morning.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Congratulations! Now, revel in the new stuff you'll be getting into. :)
Pure Sabacc
Imperious Underling

Post by Pure Sabacc »

Hark, NS is finally defeated. :grin:

Level 14 Sauceror (in Star Garb) with my trusty Cocaboa Veers, using a mix of saucestorms and plot holes. I was down to about 30 HP before I finally got her.
The Dark
Apprentice

Post by The Dark »

Anyone have advice for a Disco Bandit? She's totally kicked my ass three fights in a row (never even got to second form).
Skadi
Apprentice

Post by Skadi »

The Dark wrote:Anyone have advice for a Disco Bandit? She's totally kicked my ass three fights in a row (never even got to second form).
Use the wolf suit and hit her with plot holes / stars / disco stabs until she dies. Having an attack familiar helps as well. It worked for me.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

I think in all cases, an attack familiar is a must to deal the necessary blows before you die.

Does anyone know if Disco Face Stab works on the Sorceress? That would be a great addition to attacking her.
The Dark
Apprentice

Post by The Dark »

Soontir948 wrote:I think in all cases, an attack familiar is a must to deal the necessary blows before you die.

Does anyone know if Disco Face Stab works on the Sorceress? That would be a great addition to attacking her.
It works, the rare times that it hits. Unfortunately, I swear half her attacks were draining my Mojo.

edit: Plus, she can recover from its effect.

edit part deux: OK, I'm going to try leveling up my 'Mech to use instead of my cocoabo who did diddly despite being a 25-pounder.
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

The Mech is a good idea. It hit a lot of the time, while the stupid lime and goat did crap.
<line 2>
The Dark
Apprentice

Post by The Dark »

The Mech worked. Especially since it had a targeting chip :grin: . I just sat there and mostly used red pixel potions.
Nephtys
Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

For a moxie, I found out a good way to do it. Get 100 HP or so, buy 60 Homeopathic Elixirs from town, get a high powered attack familiar ( I used cocobo) and 10-15 Star Throwing Stars.

Whenever your heatlth goes below 70, start drinking elixirs until it gets back up. Use your spells on the first form and hope the Cocabo heals you and does damage and recharges mana. Vs second form, do the same with the drinking, but use the throwing stars. I beat her second form after using up only about 8 stars, including misses (which rarely happen)

My equipment was draggin' ball hat, goth t-shirt, wand of nagamar, star pants, moxie magnet, acid-squirting flower, and sneaky pete's breath spray.
"I like me"
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

After spending hundreds of thousands on the Sorceress on this Ascension, I finally beat her and I firmly believe that no matter what class you are, you must wear Furry Suit.

The Mecha mech is also a lovely addition to use against her too, I must admit.