His Majesty's Dragons

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I think it's my turn? Is it?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes, it was.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok... since the last DM post, only four players have posted:
Myself, Cyncat, DS, and Charon.

That leaves Nit, Frigid, and CT. Am I missing anyone?
Last edited by LadyTevar on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agent Fisher
Adept

Post by Agent Fisher »

*raises hand*
Morpheus:I remember that I am here not because of the path that lies before me but because of the path that lies behind me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

.... well........ now I feel stupid.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok... we know who has to post before the DM will move on..

SO POST ALREADY!!!

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Just for you Tev.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

*cough*GM'sTurn*coughcough*

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Captain's Name: Alexander Braithwaite (formerly Alexei Panfilov)
Captain's Age: 26
Captain's Description: Tall, with brown hair that shows some reddish highlights in the summer. Alexander is cool-headed, patient, measured, clever, and has good reasoning skills - in short, an excellent tactician and attentive soldier.

Dragon's Name: Veritas
Dragon's Age: 22
Dragon's Breed: Crimson Angel
Dragon's Description: Colored a deep blood red, Veritas' temperament very much matches his captain - methodical, practical, precise, clever, and attentive. He doesn't carry himself with arrogance, unusual for a 35 ton heavyweight - but he isn't given to frivolities either, unless his captain's somehow involved. In size and weight, he's about typical for his breed - a light heavyweight, but very dense and powerful for his size, as well as more agile than one would expect.

Background: Veritas and Alexander (then Alexei) were simultaneously triumphs and tragedies of the attempted Communist Revolution in Russia, in 1917. The revolution breached the Tsar's palace in the latter half of 1918, about the same time as the Arkangel breeding grounds for the Crimson Angels. One of the caretakers for the breeding grounds, a man named Anatoli Stukov managed to make off with one of the eggs to hopefully save it from the fate the Red Guard had planned for all of them, which was to destroy them. Having no real idea what he was going to do with the nearly-hatched egg, he simply got himself as far as he could away from the breeding grounds without tipping the egg over in his wheelbarrow. However, when the egg hatched unexpectedly, there was only one small child nearby, which the dragon immediately imprinted himself upon - a four year old orphan named Alexei Panfilov, begging for food in the town square.

Anatoli felt somewhat relieved at this turn of events, being shocked out of his thoughts of being executed by watching the bond form between dragon and boy - but he knew that if they stayed in revolution-torn Russia, they'd both likely be killed. Knowing that a very important part of the bonding ritual between child and Crimson Angel was naming the dragon, he smiled for the first time since the Revolution began as he suggested the name Veritas - for he hoped the truth of what had happened in his country would survive. Though the boy didn't quite understand the significance of the name at the time, he nonetheless formally named the dragon Veritas, which the dragon responded to by nuzzling his newly-bonded companion affectionately.

After the ritual was over with, Anatoli began to panic as he suddenly remembered how quickly Crimson Angels grew. He calmed himself, and quickly led them to the shipyards. Both boy and dragon were smuggled out of the country, to eventually be set ashore in Ireland, with Stukov smiling sadly at them, watching the ship disappear into the horizon.

They were found by an old veteran of the RAF from the Great War named Michael Braithwaite, who happened to be a crew member for one of the more famous dragons. He took both in, hiding his shock once he recognized the dragon's breed. He taught them both proper Queen's English, and recognizing a twist of fate when he saw one, began to train the two in preparation for joining the RAF. It was then that the boy, fascinated by the old man's tales of the mighty dragons fighting in the Great War, changed his name at the old man's suggestion to its present form. "Besides," said Michael while chuckling, "you've already given your dragon a proper British name."

Once Alexei (now Alexander) turned six, the old veteran, having told them for the past year and a half that they'd lived with him all about the glorious RAF, was not surprised when a detachment of the RAF came to his door, inquiring about the unusual red dragon they'd heard reports about in this area. The enlistment officer, upon discovering the unusual circumstance of the boy being already a captain at a year younger than their earliest acceptable enlistment age, decided to push things a bit and enlist them both early, citing the law that private ownership of dragons was not allowed.

This extra time helped both Alexander and Veritas greatly, encouraging them both to soak up the gross and subtle bits of knowledge like a sponge, eager to learn all that they could. Both received specialized instruction on many topics to prepare them for eventual true entry into the RAF.

However, during this time the Communist Revolution was finally put down, and the Rominov Tsar regime was reinstated, with the current Tsar being Alexei III. It did not take them long to discover from Anatoli Stukov what had happened with one of their Crimson Angels' eggs, but their reaction was one that Britain did not quite expect. The Tsar formally requested that the Crimson Angel be repatriated immediately back to Russia, under pain of severing of all ties. After some talks and negotiations through both countries' ambassadors on the subject, among other negotiations already taking place, it was instead decided by both countries that the dragon simply not be used to breed. Immediately after that detail was negotiated, a letter from Anatoli was delivered through various channels to Alexander and Veritas, who replied immediately that they'd love to visit once the whole messy dilemma with the Nazis was over with. After regaining contact, they exchanged letters with fair regularity since.

When the two of them graduated and went on their first assignment, both had been hardened, sharpened, and honed to a fine point, the bond between the two stronger than ever. Both harbor a deep love of Britain, as the land that took them in and gave them a chance to excel after their homeland had thrown them away. Now, they've been reassigned to a new unit in Tangmere, and both are looking forward to the times ahead of them.
Last edited by rhoenix on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"It's still wild n' free.... Moun-tan-ee Sem-per Lib'rye."
State Motto: Mountaini Semper Liberi.
Mountaineers (are) Always Free

Yeah, the Latin sucks, but you get the idea.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Damn, but ya'll posted today!

Good. :grin:
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I got the Interwebs back. I was celebrating :wink:

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

You won't find much on the Smoke Devil in that book. They're not a commonly bred dragon.

Smoke Devil:
Feral lightweight dragon found exclusively in the middle and southern Appalachian region of the United States. Salient features are a slender build; a narrow wingspan; and horns upon the males, used for mating displays only. Coloration is normally faint stripes of white, grey, or blue. Smoke Devils are extremely agile in flight and on the ground. Rumors abound that they are able to instantly reverse their course. This fact has not been verified by breeders.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:You won't find much on the Smoke Devil in that book. They're not a commonly bred dragon.
I know that, but Alexander and Veritas don't yet. They'll find find out shortly, and quite likely ask once Judith stops being delirious, and everyone else is more calm.

- William Gibson

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

rhoenix wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:You won't find much on the Smoke Devil in that book. They're not a commonly bred dragon.
I know that, but Alexander and Veritas don't yet. They'll find find out shortly, and quite likely ask once Judith stops being delirious, and everyone else is more calm.
Well Judith and Jake are nowhere near the base. They're probably almost on the coast. Both of their dragons pretty much went straight down after the fight ended.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Charon wrote:Well Judith and Jake are nowhere near the base. They're probably almost on the coast. Both of their dragons pretty much went straight down after the fight ended.
Ah.

In that case, they haven't seen Jebediah yet, so wouldn't be looking up his particular breed yet anyway. Soon enough, then.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Havoc said we were about 200-300yds from the rest of the covey, and they were about 1/2mile or so from the base.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

You are 2-300 yards from the other dragons, but the squadron itself is many miles away from the covert at Tangmere. There's no way anyone at the base can see the fight.

Moreover... field surgery is not the sort of thing I would expect to be known to a random Captain. Large dragons do carry medics aboard. Let's not be making ourselves out to be surgeons here, eh?

I'll post once I'm done with my chapter.
Last edited by General Havoc on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

...Oops. I'll go fix my post then. The other PC's definitely aren't visible from the feeding area of the base.

- William Gibson

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Moreover... field surgery is not the sort of thing I would expect to be known to a random Captain. Large dragons do carry medics aboard. Let's not be making ourselves out to be surgeons here, eh?
Surgeon no, but closing a wound with stitches is a tad different, depending on the extent of the wounds. She isnt seriously injured, just has an open wound and is going into shock, combined with blood loss.

To put it another way, anyone who deals with kids often in this day and age in a rural area is going to know how to stitch a big cut.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

...my excuse is I actually had the full crew with Thomas and Hermeticus.

And since Hermeticus wasn't in full battle rig...he's hurt a bit more than the others were (especially since he went toe to toe with a Kampfritter). Battlelust worn off, so now the poor dragon is going to feel it...
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:
Surgeon no, but closing a wound with stitches is a tad different, depending on the extent of the wounds. She isnt seriously injured, just has an open wound and is going into shock, combined with blood loss.

To put it another way, anyone who deals with kids often in this day and age in a rural area is going to know how to stitch a big cut.
And you deal with kids often? I don't think so. I also don't think Jeb's gonna let you near his Captain.

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

LadyTevar wrote:
Comrade Tortoise wrote:

And you deal with kids often? I don't think so. I also don't think Jeb's gonna let you near his Captain.
Oh, I figured he wouldnt. But that was an example. Hell, I would expect Judith to know how to stitch together a cut. She would have been taught, because there are no doctors around for miles, and mom would just as soon have probably done it herself. In Richard's case, he spent time isolated away from anything resembling medical care as well, and would have learned, if only through trial and error, how to do advanced first aid. Could he stop bleeding from a stomach wound? No. but he can probably either bandage or stitch a moderately sized laceration, and put a splint on a broken limb.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

In any case, post edited to remove the stitching, but still maintain continuity
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Comrade Tortoise wrote: Oh, I figured he wouldnt. But that was an example. Hell, I would expect Judith to know how to stitch together a cut. She would have been taught, because there are no doctors around for miles, and mom would just as soon have probably done it herself. In Richard's case, he spent time isolated away from anything resembling medical care as well, and would have learned, if only through trial and error, how to do advanced first aid. Could he stop bleeding from a stomach wound? No. but he can probably either bandage or stitch a moderately sized laceration, and put a splint on a broken limb.
In the area she's from, there's three towns in a twenty mile radius. By dragonback, that's not that far. Or didn't you read in my backstory where Judith and Jebediah flew her snake-bit father to the local doctor?

Now... the question is where in YOUR backstory would you have had any learning beyond first-aid? I hate to tell you, but stitching a wound is NOT under 'First-Aid', or even under 'First Responder'. Even Paramedics are not allowed to start stitching wounds -- there's too great a risk of doing more damage to the wound site.