Heroic Origins

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

Hotfoot

#1 Heroic Origins

Post by Hotfoot »

Yeah, we all know that when it comes to superpowers, there are cool and not so cool ones, but what about the origins of those superpowers? Let's face it, everyone has a favorite archetype, so what's yours? Admittedly, these are largely stolen from City of Heroes, but hey, it works:

Natural: Through training and sheer force of will you have honed your abilities. Maybe you're an alien from space with sweet powers, or just a normal human who does what he can with what he has, but the point is you're not really unique except through your training. You might have some cool signature gadgets you use from time to time, but your weapon is your body, pure and simple.

Examples: Batman, Green Arrow, Punisher, possibly Superman, Starfire, Martian Manhunter

Mutant: You gained your powers through your mutated genes. They only appeared when you reached maturity, and since then you've been struggling to understand and control them.

Examples: X-Men

Science: Bombarded by Gamma Rays, injected with the Super Soldier Serum, or bitten by a radioactive spider, some freak accident of science (or carefully planned research) has turned you into a superhuman for good or evil.

Examples: Spiderman, Fantastic Four, The Hulk

Technology: Perhaps your body was rebuilt after a terrible accident, or you wear a suit of high-tech armor created by a genius (maybe even yourself), or maybe you're some crazy robot from outer space. No matter what the case, you fight for justice with an 99.9% tolerance of awesome.

Examples: Iron Man, Cyborg, Green Lantern

Magic: Fueled by the forces arcane, you tap into the very fabric of the universe for your powers. It doesn't matter if you can cast spells like Gandalf or if you just have the strength of Hercules and the wisdom of Zeus, you show the world that there is still something magical within it.

Examples: Doctor Strange, SHAZAM, Ghost Rider, Doctor Fate

Alternate (Alien): For some reason, evolution has given your people weird powers, and possibly a weird body to go with it. Nobody knows why this is, but hey, go with it. On your planet, you could just be Joe Blow, but here, you're a demigod.

Examples: Superman, Starfire, Martian Manhunter
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

I'd argue me, Ollie and the rest of us don't have superpowers in the first place. There's a reason some people call us 'mundanes'. If anything I'd rename that category Training, rename 'Alternate (Alien)' into 'Natural' and roll Clark, JJ and his ilk in there.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

I prefer mixing it up. Take Gravitas; he's a Mutant whose powers have multiplied dramatically through a force most would consider magical, his divinity, as limited as it is.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

SirNitram wrote:I prefer mixing it up. Take Gravitas; he's a Mutant whose powers have multiplied dramatically through a force most would consider magical, his divinity, as limited as it is.
So would we lump divine/supernatural-but more-than-mere-magic origins under magic or give it its own category here? I am betting the makers of City of Heroes probably wouldn't want to touch that with a forty foot pole. The last thing they need is to piss off a lot of people.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I would put divine and demonic in a seperate category from magical. Honestly I would be tempted to place them in seperate categories from each other.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

I prefer natural. I always root for the underdogs, after all.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

My favourite superhero was always Spiderman, so I vote for the science experiment that has an accident motif.

Now if only they'd fire Tobey Maguire and get somebody that doesn't post in his performance...
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

My favorite is always the ones from cosmic origin; Silver Surfer, Phoenix, Thanos, Galactus, and the likes.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.