Phoenix War III OOC / signup

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Post by Destructionator XV »

Character list update for me:

Rear Admiral Denise Wise - commander, starbase 242

Brigadier Shalishov - commander of regular army forces in Milky Way.

Commodore Tim Stone - commander, ASV Hyman S. Torne. Now also operational commander, 74th fleet.

Captain Roland Barr - commander, ASV Lightbringer, from mirror universe

Commodore (was Captain) Robert Jackson - commander, ASV Warrior. Now also operational commander, 14th fleet.

Commander Jennifer Fuller - previously commander, ASV Pathfinder, now unassigned. She was under investigation, but that will be resolved. Recall Pathfinder was lost to the Zerg, and Columbia, her sister ship, was just lost to Imperial fire.

Dame Terry - Imperial knight from mirror universe, assigned to ASV Lightbringer.

Sir Ericson - Imperial knight from mirror universe, previously assigned to ASV Lightbringer, now on his own (or is he?)

Khardem - previous avatar of the Guardians, now tagging along with ASV Lightbringer

Note almost all of them are military now. The civilians are all on their way back to 186.

And there will probably be survivors from ships wrecked in battle, but none of flag rank or story use at this time.

EDIT: Also, if any of you are curious as to how my timeline is going, here it is:

0 = wakes up near Vulcan
1 = Vulcan
2 = 242 ordered to Condition 2 upon seeing Genator
3 = meeting over, 242 ordered to Condition 1
5 = battle rages at 242
6 = Genator captured
7 = meet with lightbringer
9-16: travel time, sped up a little bit and in a little of a rush (7 hours is way faster than before, but they weren't rushing before). Base works in appraising damage, salavage and rescue operations, deploying probes, and formulating rescue and counterattack missions. In this time, Genator would surrender and XV would have her mind raped. Odds are Imperials will tow it somewhere.
16 = arrival at 242, discuss situation, Declaration of War issued, everyone ordered to get some sleep
26 = Everyone up by now, meeting time

Kresh, notice the Genator's crew surrendered rather than fight a losing battle (eventually, the Imps could just destroy their ship and they knew it). Now you should decide what you are going to do next. Are you going to tow it away and move the prisoners to a camp somewhere, or simply execute them? Anyway, your call now.
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Destructionator XV wrote:0 = wakes up near Vulcan
"Wakes up"? Who's been sleeping near Vulcan?
Destructionator XV wrote:Kresh, notice the Genator's crew surrendered rather than fight a losing battle (eventually, the Imps could just destroy their ship and they knew it). Now you should decide what you are going to do next. Are you going to tow it away and move the prisoners to a camp somewhere, or simply execute them? Anyway, your call now.
Camp, definitely. And the camp will be named "Guantanamo" :wink:
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:"Wakes up"? Who's been sleeping near Vulcan?
Lord Adam. That was the starting point so I could see how tired everyone would be, so the order for them to get some sleep makes some sense.
Camp, definitely. And the camp will be named "Guantanamo"
Excellent.

quick edit: (note most these edits are notes to self; I use this stuff to maintain consistency for myself, so it might not make the most sense or seem relevant, but it is useful to help me keep track of little things. I don't actually expect anyone to read the rest of this post)

The rank of Commodore in the A'millian starfleet is a one star admiral generally assigned to command a group of ships or a major ship (such as a battlestar) along with his own ship. Admirals generally command the fleet, but have a captain or commander under them to command the flag ship.

The abbreviation is CDRE, borrowed from the Royal Navy, until it is dead or I find someone better (cookie for the reference). That is a wee bit confusing with CDR for commander (so I might use CMDR instead)

In the Milky Way, RADM Wise is the commander of the base and of the 14th, however she normally remained at the base. For command when the fleet is away, the captain of the Pacifica would take the temporary title of 'Fleet Captain' and lead the mission as a Commodore, however he did not have the actual O-7 rate of a Commodore. However, now CAPT Jackson, the most senior warship commander left in that fleet will take the job, and he does get the promotion, something he should be due for anyway, and odds are the 14th will be spending more time on detatched duty.

Most starbases are commanded by three stars: Vice Admirals, or even four stars: Sector Admirals, but 242 was not considered to be very important nor big enough to warrant more than the O-8 Rear Admiral. Note Army forces in the Milky Way are commanded by a Brigadier (one star general; name borrowed from the British Army). He has a name too, but we have never seen him in PW since I don't think you have even seen the A'millian regular army at all. I should bring him in.

Anyway, the 74th is a roaming fleet, which was commanded by a RADM of its own, but he would have been lost with the Colossus, so the second senior officer, CDRE Stone of the other battlestar (Hyman S. Torne, I needed a name since Kresh killed my two named battlestars, so I thought to name it after a person, like Hyman G. Rickover of the US Navy, often called father of the nuclear fleet. They it reminded me of the word 'hymen', and they get torn, so that was funny. Hence, the name was born) took command of the fleet.

So they have rather low ranking guys attached to 242 because it is a small base; normally higher ranking would be seen at a base. That makes sense to me.
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Have you guys noticed just how duplicitously devious the beautiful Lady can be?

Amazing how neither of them ever tells a lie but are still quite backstabbing. The best part is all these actions can be defended not only as necessary but indeed ethical. Some of it goes through hoops though which is a bastard, but they find a way to accept it.

So here is what I am doing game wise: the biolaser problem where it messes up crews can be solved in two ways:

1) Using them for the short term only. The effects seen in PW1 took some time to build up

or 2) Have Khardem help fix it.

I will probably make 2 successful to level the firepower a little, though the numbers disparity is still a major thing of course.

Then poor Khardem will find himself being knifed by some mirror universe guys... unless there is a double cross! And there is still my Ericson story to continue which is plots within plots.

And we have the Aurora plot, the torture plot, and the main plot and whatever little side things to that to do, so plenty more to post. I will be slowing down a little over the next week or two as M3 comes down to initial public release date meaning I will be coding a lot the next coming weeks, but fear not, I shall still be doing my quick posts at least.
Adam D. Ruppe
Sick, Twisted Fuck

I'm actually still waiting for Jon to post his turn as Madar.
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Something I just thought of thanks to the nbsg thread on sdn as to why the A'millian Holocaust took place.

I have had it there as a plot device for a long time (though it is changing somewhat; were will be a few more surviviors but I digress), but never explained it at all, and now I think I have something.

The guys who did it aren't just pure evil - they were afraid. They knew the A'millian people would have potentially be able to destroy them and were not willing to bet on that, so they executed a preemptive strike.

Now why not his the humans on Koreallia though? Hrmmm... could probably tie it into the war of AW 2284.

Anyway, the mirror universe guys are a perfect tool to investigate this a little more, how exciting. I'll have to flesh it out later though, I am busy coding right now but this sounds like it should be reasonable and will plug up one of my ugliest plot devices left.

This isn't over relevant to the events here, but I must record this somewhere so I can flesh it out and this thread seems good enough for me.
Adam D. Ruppe
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

More tangental randomness, I have a quick question though this time. Can you guys think a name for an intelligence service?

I am currently thinking just stealing CIA (Central Intelligence Agency, from the United States) or SIS (Secret Intelligence Service, from the United Kingdom, also known as MI6).

I think I prefer SIS, but don't want to just rip off the US and UK for everything.. so have any ideas?

Now, I do already have some intelligence organizations, and the names cannot clash, unless one of them can be replaced. Here is what I have:

A'millian Ministry of Intelligence (MI) - The office under the Crown that administers all the intelligence services

A'millian Office of Special Intelligence (OSI) - the organization under which the Destructionators fall; they gather information and carry out dirty work in secret. Their jurisdiction falls to both internal and external issues. Unlike the ISB and SIS though, its existence is not publically acknowledged and it is smaller than the others. It also does not actually report to MI; OSI reports directly to the Crown. If there is a real life organization like this, we would by its very nature not know about it. Though, some people do know it exists (such as RADM Wise at Starbase 242). OSI also has a (very) small number (like 2-3) of warships to itself, where as ISB and SIS don't.

A'millian Signals Intelligence Agency (SIA) - Agency under MI that monitors, decodes, and analyzes signals for national security and protects our own data and signals (like the real life NSA)

A'millian Internal Security Bureau (ISB) - Agency to defend the national security from threats from within (kinda like the real life MI5). Does counter terrorism and counter espionage stuff.

A'millian Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) - For learning about threats from abroad (stealing name from the UK, and purpose is the same. Looking for a new name, unless SIS is just too awesome to replace.)

And I also want to give them cool headquarters. NSA, CIA and SIS (all real life here) headquarters are all cool looking buildings. NSA looks like a giant black box, SIS is the palace looking place seen in The World is Not Enough, and CIA is a serene looking building in the middle of a nice park like place.

Think how cool a sci-fi intelligence headquarters could look like. Though OSI probably has some tiny underground place or a mobile office, like a starship, my SIS, ISB, and especially SIA could have awesome looking buildings. But where... I don't think they would be on A'millian Prime, though they could be. Maybe I can name another one of my core worlds and put them there.

So another question: have cool planet names? I might hax them too.

And I need to design flags, seals, etc. That will be awesome.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled OOC thread.
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ra
Master

Post by Ra »

so have any ideas?
Well, there's always the KGB (Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti which according to Wiki basically means "Committee for State Security"), which is always awesome, and its post-USSR successor, the FSB (Federal Security Bureau). I know, a little too shady and dirty for the noble A'millians, but you might could still lift a few ideas from their organization and whatnot.
I dunno if you already saw it, but I tend to use Seventh Sanctum's random planet name generator, which is here. I got a lot of planet names for an aborted Trek fanfic there.

A quick go reveals names like "Ruebec", "Hogomac", "Uifferm", "Urupez", and "Yabuo IX". There's lots of crap ones too, however.
Jonathan McKenzie
Half-Insane Snakehead | MSPaint Acolyte | Wierd TGOD'er

"Every time you stay abstinent...Kitten kills a god."
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Ra wrote:
so have any ideas?
Well, there's always the KGB (Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti which according to Wiki basically means "Committee for State Security"), which is always awesome, and its post-USSR successor, the FSB (Federal Security Bureau). I know, a little too shady and dirty for the noble A'millians,
Heh. Even the Federation has Section 31.

Ra wrote:
I dunno if you already saw it, but I tend to use Seventh Sanctum's random planet name generator, which is here. I got a lot of planet names for an aborted Trek fanfic there.

A quick go reveals names like "Ruebec", "Hogomac", "Uifferm", "Urupez", and "Yabuo IX". There's lots of crap ones too, however.
How about Yuggoth? Iaa!!! Cthulhu fhtagn!!!

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:Heh. Even the Federation has Section 31.
What I didn't care for about them is they didn't seem to have any oversight. Sure, they were in the Federation charter (so it is said), but they still very much operated on their own. See, in Star Trek, the Federation is always the beacon of good. Any dubious activity needs to come from from traitors (like the various admirals we see who are less than ideal Federation citizens) or something that is pretty much separate, like Section 31.

That way, the Federation itself is always right, they do no wrong. It was those damn rogues.

What I am going for is something more akin to the real life organizations. They do many secret and sometimes questionable things, but they still are accountable to the people (indirectly through Congress or Parliament) and take their orders from the legitimate government (the President or Prime Minister). What they do does reflect on the nation as a whole, and they can't just do whatever.

I like that a lot more. Not only does it show the storytelling aspects of the leaders willing to get their hands dirty when needed, it is more realistic. Imagine there was a real life section 31. It would surely be
corrupt. They have tons of power and no real accountability. By making them answer to someone, like the Congress or Executive (or Parliament), it keeps them in line. It also adds the potential drama problem of them breaking the law, and possibly having to pay for it.

This is how things work in my nation. Everyone is eventually responsible to the Crown, so even when OSI goes and bombs a populated area, there are two people who are to blame for it. Despite them not knowing the details (even the Crown is on a need to know basis when it comes to black ops. They give the ok for a basic plan and set limits on what can be done, but usually don't know the details since they can't lie about what they don't know), they are ultimately responsible. (Also about the details thing, most the field agents don't actually know what was ordered and from whom, but they know the law limits them to what the Soverign authorizes, so if something goes down it should be legal, unless their boss is corrupt; again, need to know basis). The other agencies are more public and responsible to the ministers, who of course answer to the Crown legally, and sometimes to the people.

What is more interesting in my government I think is the question of legitimacy. It is an absolute monarchy (actually, diarchy, since the two have equal legal power now (it was a de jure monarchy, de facto diarchy until the monarch changed the law, so now it is even legally a diarchy), with no constitution. The people have no legal rights with relation to the soverign. As it stands, though, they do have rights and representation, but only because the Crown allows it. If one day they were to dissolve the senate and revoke all rights, they could. Something I (or Imperial pundits in game...) should talk about more. It was enough for me to have a history of conflict with a neibourghing republic and an internal democratic confederation in my canon, so that could be enough to get some people conflicting inside the Empire or Goa'uld too (well, not so much them since they play god, but since the Empire is reformed in PW, Kreshna's subjects would still remember Palpatine and he would surely leave a bad taste in the mouths toward dictatorships.)

Anyway, what I am saying is I really think Star Trek took the easy way out. A perhaps shady but official group is way cooler.

Shitcock! That talk about Palpy in Kreshna's fiefdom is something you should address, Kresh. How would the people feel about once again being under a Sith Lord with their democracy disavowing them? Surely it would bring up memories of Palps, and surely many people in the fiefdom would want to do something about it. You should have demonstrations on the DS3 demanding representation or a new constitution or something. Perhaps an exodus of people who can afford it going back to the home galaxy, fearing problems.

Dark Silver's move of giving you your own little empire has more potential than I think we realized so far.
Adam D. Ruppe
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Destructionator XV wrote:Shitcock! That talk about Palpy in Kreshna's fiefdom is something you should address, Kresh. How would the people feel about once again being under a Sith Lord with their democracy disavowing them? Surely it would bring up memories of Palps, and surely many people in the fiefdom would want to do something about it.
Huh? IIRC it was only mentioned in the context of Sith apprenticeship (DK was trained by Palpy himslef), not how the Imperial Mandate should be governed.

Destructionator XV wrote:You should have demonstrations on the DS3 demanding representation or a new constitution or something. Perhaps an exodus of people who can afford it going back to the home galaxy, fearing problems.

Dark Silver's move of giving you your own little empire has more potential than I think we realized so far.
The problem is that Darth Kreshna himself still hasn't realized how much power he actually gained as the result of President Steelmore's decision. As far as DK is concerned, the Imperial holdings in Milky Way galaxy is still "Imperial Mandate", and he is there to protect the citizens of Imperial Mandate from alien threats. Appointing himself as the Emperor of the New Sith Empire of Milky Way is still something he has never thought of.

Believe it or not, from the very start of this STGOD, I never intended to make DK a powermongering tyrant; he's just a tired nobleman who just wished to find more free time for himself. He is more interested in reconciling with Irene (although Madar could provide some sort of distraction), sipping Martinis in Kubika Lounge, and taking care of his Sith Archives collection.

However, Madar could probably open DK's eyes a little. Maybe she could say something like, "you fool! Don't you realize that the President just granted you an Empire of your own?" and such thing.
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:Huh? IIRC it was only mentioned in the context of Sith apprenticeship (DK was trained by Palpy himslef), not how the Imperial Mandate should be governed.
That is because he hasn't had his own empire yet. :razz:
The problem is that Darth Kreshna himself still hasn't realized how much power he actually gained as the result of President Steelmore's decision. As far as DK is concerned, the Imperial holdings in Milky Way galaxy is still "Imperial Mandate", and he is there to protect the citizens of Imperial Mandate from alien threats.
Yeah, my people in character don't know of the decision yet either.
Believe it or not, from the very start of this STGOD, I never intended to make DK a powermongering tyrant; he's just a tired nobleman who just wished to find more free time for himself.
Indeed, but when it comes to quasi-hostile powers wanting to make him look like a bad guy for their own advancement, the truth doesn't really matter. Hell, I tried to frame him for a terrorist attack!

The Palpatine comparisons would probably all be in propaganda, but it could stick to some people. How many of the average Mandate citizens really know what he is like? A few lies here and there...
However, Madar could probably open DK's eyes a little. Maybe she could say something like, "you fool! Don't you realize that the President just granted you an Empire of your own?" and such thing.
Yup. And she isn't exactly noble either, so if they team up (like it looks to me is going to happen so far), that would be more fuel. I could draw parallels to Darth Vader to scare people. With Madar, it gets even worse for you all: how many Imperial citizens know who she it? Even if they did, she was a mercinary rogue sith, not exactly the most trust worthy.

Once again, half truth + lies could mean a bad picture of them in the media.
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ra
Master

Post by Ra »

KAN wrote:However, Madar could probably open DK's eyes a little. Maybe she could say something like, "you fool! Don't you realize that the President just granted you an Empire of your own?" and such thing.
Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. :twisted:
Jonathan McKenzie
Half-Insane Snakehead | MSPaint Acolyte | Wierd TGOD'er

"Every time you stay abstinent...Kitten kills a god."
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

An FYI, my new blog here on the LibArc server will be the new repository for most the posts I have been making in this thread labeled 'irrelevant', especially those having to do with the thought process behind the ASE canon revision.

If you are interested, here it is. Reference pages for the ASE revision, describing many more topics in detail, are still in the slow process of being worked out and written up.

I am still pretty busy which is why I have not posted in game for a while, but I shall return to the in character thread in probably another week or two (enough time to wrap up this semester's college bullshit and put out the first testing version of M3, which is what is taking more of my free time right now)
Adam D. Ruppe