Why hasn't YouTube been sued into submission yet?

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

#1 Why hasn't YouTube been sued into submission yet?

Post by Destructionator XV »

Seriously, YouTube seems to be one of the biggest pits of blatent copyright infringement I have ever seen, so why haven't the corporations had it shut down yet?
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Narsil
Lord of Time

#2 Re: Why hasn't YouTube been sued into submission yet?

Post by Narsil »

Destructionator XV wrote:Seriously, YouTube seems to be one of the biggest pits of blatent copyright infringement I have ever seen, so why haven't the corporations had it shut down yet?
Because some of the copyright infringement isn't technically copyright infringement. A British fan using Youtube to watch Doctor Who episodes, for example, has technically already paid for them in full.
Last edited by Narsil on Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petro
Force of Nature

Post by Petro »

Because they quickly yank any copyright-offensive material at the request of the copyright owner, from what I've seen.
If this sig banner appears with a grey background, get a better browser than IE.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

#4 Re: Why hasn't YouTube been sued into submission yet?

Post by Destructionator XV »

Narsil wrote:Because some of the copyright infringement isn't technically copyright infringement. A British fan using Youtube to watch Doctor Who episodes, for example, has technically already paid for them in full.
But much of it is. Legitimate systems have been attacked in the past because of illegal uses. Now, if a judge decided it does have legitimate use, then the suit can be dismissed, but in the past and present, many systems such as this have come under attack.

Is it just because it is low quality enough to not get the company's attention? Or has such a suit taken place and all ready been decided baseless by a judge?
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

Thing is, if they remove the material upon request of the copyright holder, they're satisfying legal requirements. From what I've seen, Youtube is quick on the trigger with requests from copyright holders.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain