Who blocks ads, and why?

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

#1 Who blocks ads, and why?

Post by Destructionator XV »

Curious as to who here uses things like Ad-Block, etc., to block ads on websites, and why you do or do not do so.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
DesertFly
Water Soluble

Post by DesertFly »

I block ads with the Ad-Block plugin for Firefox for two obvious reasons: to speed up page loading times and because most of them are freaking annoying.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

windows host file, FTW
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
DesertFly
Water Soluble

Post by DesertFly »

B4UTRUST wrote:windows host file, FTW
What is that?
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Post by Destructionator XV »

The host file is a file used by the operating system to associate domain names (such as libriumarcana.com) with IP addresses, which actually point to the server.

If you have an entry in the hosts file, it overrides the real address of the server, so you can point it back on yourself (or anywhere else) meaning the ad will not be able to load.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

I don't block ads, I just ignore them.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

I have the Firefox plug-in block popups, but not banner ads and what not.

mostly it's because of some of the more annoying "full screen you can't break out of!" popup ads which came out awhile back, I swore I'd never let another popup through my browser if I could help it.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
vampykat
Apprentice

Post by vampykat »

I use the firefox plug in, google pop up blocker, plus on IE it has one that stops it as well. I also use ad-block

I think I might be over doing it..lol
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

I block pop-ups because they are performing an unsolicited operation through my browser. I consider this to be the height of poor form. Otherwise, the only ads that really bother me are the annoying flash ads that you can't shut up.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Pop-ups get blocked. End of discussion. The only person to open new windows in my browser is me. As for ads I don't particularly care but since I do see them I assume I do NOT have FF's ad block plugin installed. Where would one get that?
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

I use Opera. All popups are blocked by default.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

What are people trying to achieve with popups anyway?

I mean, they don't bloody work, so why bother?
DesertFly
Water Soluble

Post by DesertFly »

Batman wrote:Pop-ups get blocked. End of discussion. The only person to open new windows in my browser is me. As for ads I don't particularly care but since I do see them I assume I do NOT have FF's ad block plugin installed. Where would one get that?

Here's what you're looking for.
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Thanks for the link, DesertFly. Now if I could just install the bloody thing...
When I try FF claims that software installation is currently disabled, would I kindly click 'Edit Options' to fix that.
Given my paranoia this being disabled intentionally wouldn't particularly surprise me, there's just one problem-I can't find the Valendamned option. Any hints?
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Use Opera. :wink:
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

Narsil wrote:What are people trying to achieve with popups anyway?

I mean, they don't bloody work, so why bother?
Saturation advertising. If you send out a hundred thousand pop-ups and get five hundred clicks with fifty new customers, it's worth it. And remember, the vast majority of users online are not tech-saavy. Pop-ups aim for grandma and young teens.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain