Simple General Cooking Recipes

KT: Where the Culinary Masters Showcase their art. A'la Cuisine!
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

#1 Simple General Cooking Recipes

Post by Mayabird »

I've been trying to do my own cooking, and while I can handle simple things like chicken fajitas (grill chopped onions, bell peppers, and pieces of chicken, wrap in a tortilla) and broccoli and cheese (boil the broccoli until I'm satisfied with the texture, drain, add cheese) I am looking for something more and different.

Note that this needs to be on a college student budget, and something that can be done by someone with very limited cooking ability. Healthy stuff and bulk cooking that I can store and eat as leftovers later would be great.

Anybody who mentions 'recipes' for ramen will be shot. :razz:

Thanks.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
ImpishAngel
Initiate

Post by ImpishAngel »

Fried Corn

1 Stick Butter
1 Can Corn
(Additional Seasoning such as but not limited to:
Hot Sauce, Wortershire (sp?), pepper, garlic)

Directions:
Dump Can of corn into a frying pan and add stick of butter with additional seasoning.
Turn heat on and let cook down.
Scrap bottom occationally to prevent sticking and burning to pan.

It's done when you determine it's sticky enough, or cooked down enough.

Clean Up:

Fill frying pan with water and boil on stove,
remainings should then boil free of the pan making for easy fast clean up.

(Can also make candy carrots the same way, only remember to drain the carrots, then add brown sugar instead of the other seasonings...and heru has a SUPER good one for nachos -grins and rubs tummy- they were awesome.)
Last edited by ImpishAngel on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
He is my soldier, the love of my life and one day I will be a proud army wife
If he should be called to duty I will wait for him standing tall, for he is my soldier, my hero, after all.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Easy Chicken Salad

1 large can chunk chicken
1/4 cup mayo/miracle whip
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish

Blend all ingrediants, breaking chicken chunks apart as much as possible. Serve on bread, toast, bagels, over a lettuce salad, etc.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Elheru Aran
Initiate

Post by Elheru Aran »

Heru's Can Chili

Step One: Proceed to local bulk-food retailer. Purchase pinto, kidney, black, and red beans; other beans optional. Also purchase canned chicken or whatever meat. Procure some cans of tomatoes as well.

Step Two: Open cans. Empty into (large) pot. It may be desired to drain some of the cans before pouring, notably the chicken/meat, otherwise your chili's gonna be pretty wet; you want it fairly thick. Add spices to taste; I like chipotle, plenty of cumin, garlic and onion, and dash of salt and pepper. Heat to simmering.

Step Three: Put in bowls and consume. The remainder is easily refrigated, and you'll need to, considering that'll be plenty of chili... Note that it may thicken after refrigation. This is nothing to worry about, add a little water and stir if you don't like it that way.

Personally, I like dumping a little bit of salsa on top of it when it's in the bowl, on top of a little cheese... you can probably find a local grocery that does bagged shredded cheese mighty cheap, I know here we've got an IGA that does two bags for $3 or something like that. At the discount-foods place I can get enough beans for one pot for less than $2. ^_^

I'll do spagheti recipe later I think...
Rukia
Pleasure Kitten

Post by Rukia »

Quick Yummy Spaggetti:

Noodles
Favorite Bottled Spaggetti Sauce (ie Prego, Del monte, ect)
1 lb Sausage (Spicy, mild, smoked or regular)

Boil water to cook the noodles while making the sauce.
Crumble uncooked sausage into 'meatballs' and cook till brown all the way through. Drain if desired (I think it adds flavor so I don't)
Add Sauce and cook til warm through.

The best part about this is that you can make as little or as much as you want. The amount I gave you can feed three to four people well. You can always make more or store what you don't.

I've got others that I'll have to remember.
shark42bait: you are evil...
shark42bait: i admire that in a woman....
I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in an AWESOME rack!
"if you want to get out of a speeding ticket short skirts and crying are still the way to go" Kairy on "mythbusters"

LimePink: "Um, Mr. President? I was doing a suduko puzzle, and based on the hidden co-ordinates in the grid, I think Osama Bin Laden is either here : points on map: or here :points to another spot within 5 miles:. Also, Jay-Z killed Tupac Shakur and the lost treasure of Atlantis actually turned to the glacier that sunk the Titanic."
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Tuna (or Chicken) Noodle Cassarole

2 tins canned tuna (or chicken, works even better if you get those new pouched versions)
1/2 can green peas (and any other veggies you want here)
1 can cream of mushroom
enough noodles to service however many.

Boil Noodles.

Place cream of mushroom in pot, warm up, add tuna (or chicken), peas, and other veggies in, heat till "cooked" to your liking.

Add noodles to mix, either bake on 350° for 15 mins, or stovetop on low for till firm.

Serve.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Beans on toast. Heating is optional.

:razz:
Knife
Apprentice

Post by Knife »

Go buy yourself a pressure cooker. They're only in the 20-30 dollar range. Once you have this invaluable piece of equipment, the toughest of meats become tender and juicy.

Toss in cheap roast, couple tatters, onion, carrots and a couple herbs, let cook for an hour.....let the feast begin.

Lagsagna is easy too, really. There is even a good recipie for the non cook noodle version.

Need a box of Lag noodles, some Italian sausage, parmagain, mazzalallallalalal(white cheese) and some ricotta cheese. (Basil and Oragano helps too). A can of tomato sauce and a can of tomatoes ( if you don't feel like squishing up your own whole tomatoes) :razz:

Cook your meat and onions in a skillet, stir in tomatoes (sauce and whole) add in some oragano and basil. Let it simmer while you prep your cheese.

Pretty much use the noodles and the meat/sauce and the cheese as leggo's and slap them together in layers in a pan.

I usually make it in the morning, so cover in tinfoil (use your hat if you must :wink: ) and put in fridge till it's time to cook. Cook for about an hour and BaM....goood eating.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stuart Mill
Shark Bait
Adept
Location: A god forsaken chunk of swamp some ass built a city on!

Post by Shark Bait »

Spicy drunken chicken
I forget how to make it I was not quite sober at the time it involved rum, hot peppers, and chicken that sparked and lit on fire when grilled.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
-Adam Savage "Mythbusters"

"Rule 4: Blades don't need reloading."
-Zombie survival guide

"What is burning people but stabbing them with fire?"
-Frigidmagi
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

And thus why it's called drunken chicken
you make it when your drunk
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Shark Bait
Adept

Post by Shark Bait »

Ok I remember part of it now 1/2 a bottle of rum, you drink the other half first though, and there is something about letting the chicken marinade for the length of one Kung-Fu movie (possibly legend of the drunken master). Fuck I dont know maybe CT remembers all the shit we put in that stuff, but it was tasty even after everyone sobered up
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

-Zombie survival guide

-Frigidmagi
The Village Idiot
Initiate

Post by The Village Idiot »

drunken chicken......(I was the other chef in charge of that one with SB)

Boneless Skinless chicken
soy sause
Wortershire (sp?)
RUM!!!
BBQ sause
chillie sause

marinate chicken in sause untill ....um... satisfied *shrug*

throw on grill, cook until almost done....still a bit red-pink in middle then pull off the grill

put in shallow-ish pan, 2-3 inches, perferably glass, pour in marinade (either remake or heat over 230 degrees F for a few minues and add a little bit more fluid(to avoid risk of salmonela and other things on raw chicken)add chicken, cover with tin foil and begin heating with medium heat

should yeald very juice, tender chicken.....cooking burns alcohol

and damn tasty!
any questions PM and i will help you out

finish cooking chicken (no pink!) in marinade

Limit punturing chicken - makes holes for juices to escape.
"Sir, are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Corbin Dallas - The Fifth Element
Shark Bait
Adept

Post by Shark Bait »

yeah that sounds about right

-Zombie survival guide

-Frigidmagi
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Thanks for all the recipes. I'll definately be trying the chili soon (I love chili) and I'll be trying out the others as the summer goes on.

If I find something food, I'll share it with everyone.

Elheru Aran
Initiate

Post by Elheru Aran »

Oh yeah, spaghetti...

This one takes a George Foreman grill, mind you--

Prepare noodles as usual.

Warm some spaghetti sauce (out of jar is fine).

Take a chicken breast or two, rub Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder on both sides.

Grill till done.

Cut one breast into strips and crumble into sauce; keep warm. Cut the other into strips, but don't crumble; about half an inch or so wide should be fine.

Put large mound of spaghetti on plate, sauce on top; sprinkle some Parmesan, and then lay a few chicken strips on top.

Looks right posh, and tastes great :D
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

I can confirm that Elheru's chili is GREAT. I have a big plastic tub full of it, and I'm going to share it with some of my friends, since we've been exchanging food and recipes.

Now my chicken soup recipe:

Essential Ingredients
*Chicken, cut into chunks
*Chicken broth or boullion (you could get bony chicken and boil the bones, but that was a ridiculous amount of work, especially with my not-so-sharp knives)
*Celery, cut into slices

Optional ingredients (These can be added if you like them or not; if possible, I like throwing in as many as possible. More can be added if you think of something good.)
*Carrots, baby or sliced into small pieces
*Onions, cut into small pieces
*Potatoes
*Kidney beans
*Tomatoes
*Garbanzo beans (chick peas)
*Cabbage
*Green bell peppers
*Corn
*Lemon juice (small amount for taste)
*Bay leaf
*Other spices for taste (salt, pepper, paprika, etc.)

STEP ONE: Precook the chicken chunks in a separate pan. Also precook the potatoes separately.

STEP TWO: When chicken is fully cooked, add to the soup pot. Add some water and then the chicken broth or boullion. After a few minutes, add ingredients that need to be cooked for a longer time (carrots, etc.)

STEP THREE: Add all the rest of the ingredients, adding potatoes last (they get soggy if you add them early). Make sure that celery is first, because chicken soup just doesn't taste right without celery. Add spices for taste. Just a little lemon juice is needed if you plan on using some. Heat to simmering or until vegetables have reached your desired texture.

STEP FOUR: Serve and enjoy your delicious and nutritious soup!

Notes: yes, it's pretty inexact, but that's how I did it. I took cheap cans of corn, tomatoes, etc. and dumped them in. I don't much like noodle soups, so I didn't add noodles, but I'm sure someone else could enlighten everyone about when they should be added. Celery seed could probably be used for flavor in place of actual celery.

Scottish Ninja
Initiate

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I've got one...
Quesadillas.

Necessary ingredients: tortillas, cheese
Optional: Meat (whatever you like), anything else you decide you want on your quesadilla

1. Put a tiny bit of oil in a frying pan, and warm it up on the stove on medium-low heat.

2. Place a tortilla in the frying pan

3. Add cheese and whatever else you wanted

4. Fold tortilla in half, and flip occasionally. When the tortilla's crispy to your liking, and the cheese is melted, take the quesadilla out and eat!
[img=left]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/ ... vilwar.jpg[/img]Dakarne: That's no moon...
Dakarne: it's London.

Thank god for Tennessee Harold Ford protecting us from nuclear vegemite. - Petrosjko
Major Reilly: Air Command
"They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine" - The Doctor
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Maya? Next time you make your chicken soup, try adding a couple slices of ginger to it :grin:

Cheeseburger Pie:

1lb ground meat (hamburger, round, chuck, steak, deer... whatever)
1 fresh onion (or 1/2cup dried)
1/2 cup Bisquick (or other dry biscuit mix)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup grated cheese (4 sandwich slices)

Heat oven to 350*F.
Brown meat in skillet, add onions halfway through to brown slightly. Drain off fat, then spoon into bottom of a greased 9in glass pieplate or casserole dish, spreading evenly. Layer with cheese, try to cover well.

Beat the 1 cup milk and two eggs together. Add the Bisquick slowly, mixing well in between. Mixture should be runny, may be a lump or two. Pour over the meat and cheese, should fill the pan 2/3 full.

Slide into oven, bake for 40-45 min, or until golden brown on top.

ALTERNATIVES: (pre-cooked meats)
Ham & Cheddar cheese, with chives.
Chicken Breast with Provalone, with basil
3-Cheese Blend. With Italian seasonings, if you like
Cinnomon, Cloves, and Nutmeg (more dessert-y, like a thick custard)

Personal servings: Seperate ingrediants into individual 8oz crocks. Fill to 2/3s with Bisquick mixture (one mix fills two crocks). Cook at 350 for 30-35 min.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Masterharper
Apprentice

Post by Masterharper »

Cheesy Chicken Medley:
1 box of Au Gratin potatos (the dehydrated ones.)
1 boneless chicken breast.
Vegetables as you desire (use frozen or fresh, never canned.)
These work best: Sugar Snap Peas, regular peas, diced bell pepper, mushrooms, brocoli flourettes, diced carrots, and assorted herbs.

Cube the breast, use two if you're really hungry or if they're really tiny. Sautè it in butter or olive oil, throw in some itallian seasonings: something light. Whatever you have on hand. Oregano, thyme, coriander, basil. Whatever. Salt and pepper.

Use a glass casserole dish: Put in the potato stuff, powdered cheese, milk, and melted butter. Stir in the chicken and vegetables (make sure they're not still frozen! 30 seconds in Microwaves work wonders for this.)
Cook for 45mins to an hour on 350ish.

Then it's done.
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Ginger! I knew I'd forgotten something.

The quesadilla reminded me:

Simple chicken fajita:

Chicken, cut into chunks
Onions, sliced
Green bell peppers, sliced
Tortilla
Tiny amount of cooking oil

Add the cooking oil to a pan, and then add the chicken. Cook the chicken throughout, then add the sliced onions and green peppers. Grill with the chicken until the onions and peppers are cooked to your liking, then remove the pan from heat and add the mix to a tortilla.

Also:

Brocolli and cheese

Clean and cut broccoli, then place in a pot and add water. Boil until broccoli is as tender as you please. Drain the water, add cheese.

Yeah, simple and obvious, but I hadn't even thought about quesadillas before I saw it here.

Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

It's sorta necro, but since we have that Kitchen Stadium sub-forum, I thought I'd bump this so it could get moved there.

Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Post by Jason_Firewalker »

This is a regional dish from when I was living in Maine during my early college years

Boiled Moose Steaks

Ingredients:
2 to 4 pounds of moose steak (preferably cubed into 1 inch cubes)
4 large onions
2 to 8 pairs of medium main lobster claws preferably hard shelled
12 to 24 clams
12 to 24 mussels
(If you use 24 clams use 12 mussels and vice versa but never use more then 36 of them total)
Chicken stock (about 2 gallons)
Beef Stock (about half a gallon)
Potatos (2 to 6, cubed)
Cucumbers (2 to 8, cubed in 1 inch cubes)
Zuchinni (2 to 4 cubed)
Carrots (2 to 4 cubed)
4 bay leaves
6 oz curry powder

Throw everything in a big ass pot, the bigger the better. Take to beach. Boil over medium heat covered till the moose meat is tender

Consume with 24 to 48 pack of PBR
Last edited by Jason_Firewalker on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The True Resurrection would undo the chartrusing of the Gnome
-- My friend figuring out how to permanently turn a gnome chartreuse

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
--HP Lovecraft in Call Of Cthulhu