Shroom needs help(Turtles!)

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

#1 Shroom needs help(Turtles!)

Post by Ace Pace »

Shrooman as requested I crosspost the following.
Remember my thread on the stupidity of superstition? Anyway, we got back the turtle from the breeder, and the turtle's been with us for more than a week. We bought the turtle back for twice the price we sold it, and it's already mated. So I really need to know two things:

1.) How long is the gestation period of a red-eared slider? That's the turtle species. How long do I have until my turtle needs to lay eggs?

2.) How can I make it lay its eggs? Do I get a big plastic enclosure, put some sand in it, leave my turtle there overnight?

My turtle's a red-eared slider, one of those really popular pet turtles. From the front of its shell to the rear, its seven inches long. I've been reading some material, and I believe its already sexually mature. So please, I need to know the answer to the previous two questions. Because if my turtle is pregnant and if it can't lay its eggs, it will die. And I really don't want that.

And yeah, I blame my dad. He wanted the turtle back because it was good luck and shit, but I'm sure he won't gives a rats ass if the turtle dies because of him.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Ace just MSNed me, said that Aly said my turtle had a two month gestation period. Ace, is he sure?

Anyway, we gave it to the breeder at around May 7 I think. That gives us at around July 7? Right?
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Ace just MSNed me, said that Aly said my turtle had a two month gestation period. Ace, is he sure?

Anyway, we gave it to the breeder at around May 7 I think. That gives us at around July 7? Right?
I never said that... It takes about 3-6 weeks from mating to the time the eggs are layed. Depending on what sort of habitat you keep your turtle in, I would suggest building an add-on (if possible) or creating a secondary enclosure (basically a box) with slightly dampened vermiculite in it. When she is ready to lay eggs (you will know this because she will spend more time basking and scratching around on her basking site) place her in there for about 6 hours a day until she lays her eggs. Once they are layed, I would take them out and place them in a small tupperware container filled with dampened vermiculite.

DO NOT ROTATE THE EGGS!!!! Use a water-based marker to mark the top of the eggs to make sure you do not rotate them. Rotation kills reptile eggs.

Keep the eggs at between 26 and 30 degrees celcius (or 80-86 degrees F) and keep the vermiculite moist, but not soaking wet.

In about 60-75 days you will have a clutch of some of the cutest creatures in the universe.

Fixed your Earl.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Fri May 26, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What if I keep my turtle on in a two-foot wide bucket filled with water?

EDIT:

Do I need to use vermiculite? Can I use sand?
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on Thu May 25, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Shroom Man 777 wrote:What if I keep my turtle on in a two-foot wide bucket filled with water?

EDIT:

Do I need to use vermiculite? Can I use sand?
I wouldnt use sand. it doesnt hold moisture. An all-natural (no chemicals) potting soil might work

Wait... a two foot bucket? Um... that poor turtle...
Then after three weeks from mating I would place her in an enclosure with vermiculite (or potting soil) for about siz hours a day until she decides to lay her eggs.

If you know of a place where you can get one of those big plastic swimming pools for small children, do your turtle a favor. Acquire one.

You know, these (without the dogs of course)

http://www.chaddickerson.com/photos/kid ... abari1.jpg

Your turtle and her offspring will be much happier
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I know...:(

It was my intent to put my turtle in a better place when my sis sold her to the breeder. But dad... :evil:

EDIT:

And its slightly larger than two feet! And my turtle's grown rather big, so it's healthy!
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on Thu May 25, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Still, one of those pools shouldnt cost you more than 15 USD. I dont know where you live so I cant really direct you to a place to buy one though. Still, some water, river rock for a land area and some natural sunlight... happy turtle. Just make sure she cant escape... and she will try.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yeah :D
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Try WalMarts for the pool ;)

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Sadly, we don't have WallMarts over here. Still, thanks. You're so sweet, LT :)
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Sadly, we don't have WallMarts over here. Still, thanks. You're so sweet, LT :)
I keep forgetting where youre at, Shroomie, sorry :)

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

LadyTevar wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Sadly, we don't have WallMarts over here. Still, thanks. You're so sweet, LT :)
I keep forgetting where youre at, Shroomie, sorry :)
It's an even worse location then mine for finding things.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Wisconsin?
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Philippines. If it were any worse, I wouldn't be typing this at all. Instead, ooga-booga aborigines would be feasting on my ritually mutilated corpse.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Most people in the Phiippines are Catholic with a Muslim minority. They wouldn't feed on your ritually mutilated corpse.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Scottish Ninja
Initiate

Post by Scottish Ninja »

...I think he meant somewhere besides the Phillippines.

Damn that my sole contribution is to make useless remarks such as that!
[img=left]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/ ... vilwar.jpg[/img]Dakarne: That's no moon...
Dakarne: it's London.

Thank god for Tennessee Harold Ford protecting us from nuclear vegemite. - Petrosjko
Major Reilly: Air Command
"They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine" - The Doctor
Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How big should the egging box be? :???: