No, and I don't want to
4%
Can't due to health/other
19%

Total votes: 26

The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

I have not, and do not intend to--although I am not against the idea, I just don't plan on doing it anytime.

Partly because I am kinda of the feeling it ought to stay inside where it belongs (just a feeling, not a concious belief), and partly because I know how much it would suck to go and do it. I don't fear needles, but I do apparently have a wee bit too much perception of what goes on inside my veins. When I had to have a blood sample taken I noticed I could feel the damn needle inside my arm as it shifted around, poking things, and I felt the veins in my lower arm (sample was taken at the inner elbow) deflate :shock:

I won't say it hurt, but it was extremely uncomfortable, and sitting still, not rubbing my arm and removing the offending object was...hard. For all of the 30 or so seconds that took. Now extrapolate to a 20 min or so session. No thank you! (Yeah yeah, that 'pain' can't compare to what accident victems go through and so on so forth. It doesn't change my reaction to the thought of the ordeal--but like I said, I may go some day).
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

Every two to three months like clockwork. (They like nailing me for two units at a time, so I don't do the monthly routine.)

Like Chris, I don't mind the needles and insist on watching them stick me. (Got some real artists at the local bank, they're smooth and can even catch me off guard sometimes.)

They love me over there because I'm O+ and agreeable to platelets, red cells, or whole units, whatever they need.

And since I haven't been to Mexico for several years now, we can skip a -lot- of annoying questions.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Scottish Ninja
Initiate

Post by Scottish Ninja »

It has something to do with the proteins coating the red blood cells themselves. IE cells with the wrong proteins are rejected and... well, problems occur. Like death.

Since O blood cells have no proteins, they aren't rejected by anyone.
[img=left]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/ ... vilwar.jpg[/img]Dakarne: That's no moon...
Dakarne: it's London.

Thank god for Tennessee Harold Ford protecting us from nuclear vegemite. - Petrosjko
Major Reilly: Air Command
"They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine" - The Doctor
Petro
Force of Nature

Post by Petro »

Scottish Ninja wrote:It has something to do with the proteins coating the red blood cells themselves. IE cells with the wrong proteins are rejected and... well, problems occur. Like death.

Since O blood cells have no proteins, they aren't rejected by anyone.
However, there is a chance of the O blood transfused in rejecting the blood it's transfused into, which is why they prefer a straight match.
If this sig banner appears with a grey background, get a better browser than IE.
xBlackFlash
Apprentice

Post by xBlackFlash »

I got my donor card in the mail yesterday.

I'm O-Negative :grin:

Shhh! I know that doesn't meam much, but I was looking for something to be proud of today, and it just so happens to be my blood type! Hehe.
F.L.I.R.T.S. - No one remembers what it stands for

Better get your kids in, I'm on the loose again
And getting more rediculous
The more I think I ought to get my mind out of the gutter.
Something Awesome
Initiate

Post by Something Awesome »

xBlackFlash wrote:I got my donor card in the mail yesterday.

I'm O-Negative :grin:

Shhh! I know that doesn't meam much, but I was looking for something to be proud of today, and it just so happens to be my blood type! Hehe.
Being O- actually means quite a bit, especially for donors. The Red Cross is almost always low on O- in their supply (at least here in the New York-Pennsylvania region), and not only can anyone receive your blood (though, see what Petro said), but O- can only receive your blood. The Red Cross loves you, and you have every reason to be proud! :grin:
Petro
Force of Nature

Post by Petro »

Oh yes, get used to regular calls from the bloodbank, Tink. You're going to be an even more popular girl soon.
If this sig banner appears with a grey background, get a better browser than IE.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

I want to, but in Canada you have to make an appointment or wait for a blood clinic to come to town (we live in a small rural town) and something keeps coming up. We will get to it eventually, I especially want to as I got two units when I got injured a few years back.
vampykat
Apprentice

Post by vampykat »

Give blood regularly, not a biggie. I also do the plasma bit, which is nasty since they seperate your blood and then pump it back into your arm and it is cold when it goes back into your veins. They call me on a regular basis since I am 0-

and I hate the cookies!!
Lindar
Adept

Post by Lindar »

they gave out pizza the other week... but am still upset at them...so i haven't gone...
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ ... rlysig.jpg[/img]
Terminally Flirtatious : Gotham Grrl : Imp-kin : Comm Major : NOT a Blonde : Empyrean Night~Good Friends don't let friends die
"Oh, pipe down! It's not like you've never been bound and gagged before." - Harley Quinn.
vampykat
Apprentice

Post by vampykat »

Man they never give out pizza here, just orange juice and sugar cookies.

They must have done something real bad to keep you from going back..I'm sorry to hear that.
Lindar
Adept

Post by Lindar »

lol it's normal they do different things to try and draw in new donors at the college.

it wasn't something they did. it was something one of them said..
Terminally Flirtatious : Gotham Grrl : Imp-kin : Comm Major : NOT a Blonde : Empyrean Night~Good Friends don't let friends die
"Oh, pipe down! It's not like you've never been bound and gagged before." - Harley Quinn.
vampykat
Apprentice

Post by vampykat »

Ohhh they were mean? Did you kick them? I could kick them for you if you want..ruff them up some *smiles*

still want some pizza tho
Lindar
Adept

Post by Lindar »

pizza?

No i didn't kick them, am waiting I'll go to the Red Cross Station by my house they at least were nice.
vampykat
Apprentice

Post by vampykat »

wow that looks like a Sicilian speciality *chuckles*

and good..I hope they treat you better.
Squidgey
Apprentice

Post by Squidgey »

:lol:

I'd donate blood except that everytime I've gone for a blood test, which may or may not be as much or less then what would be taken for giving blood, due to my height of 6 foot, 9 1/2 inches, if I don't lie down when they take the blood, I pass out. If I lie down, and get up too soon, as in up to 5 minutes, after they take blood, I pass out. Oh and I don't especially like needles, I get all hyped up about them only to have the needle go in and blood taken out and wonder why in the hell I was so afraid of the needle IF it didn't hurt at all!

Note to self, donate blood sometime, just so as to pass out and get even MORE Tea and Biccies!
I am the Squire to a Gobbo named Ram Rock Ed First who is trapped inside of an Impenetrable and Indestructable Magically Imbued Steel Orc Golem Prison Shell!

Wow!