Proud of your parents?

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

#1 Proud of your parents?

Post by Ace Pace »

I'm wondering about this, how many of us are proud of our parents for more then just putting up with us?

For me, I'm proud of my mother, recently theres been some scandel at a mental hospital for abusing autistic people. One of the people who dealt with the case, and got most of the autistic people out was my mother.

Just my 2 agurot.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

I'm proud of my mother for putting up with a shitload of illnesses and allergies while still being well on her way to getting a BSc and Honours (she hadn't had the chance to go to college until now).
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Well, both my parents are teachers at the moment, my dad only a substitute part timer and my mom a kindergarten teacher. So I'm proud that they're in a profession where they have a chance of having a real impact on someone somewhere... Even if it's just one individual.

I'm also proud of my dad for his service. I've pretty much followed his footsteps into the military and hope to retire with as many years as he dedicated to our country.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

I'd say I'm proud the way my parents raised me and struggled against the difficulties of the world. I'm proud of my parent's intelligence and good traits.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Robert Walper wrote:I'd say I'm proud the way my parents raised me and struggled against the difficulties of the world. I'm proud of my parent's intelligence and good traits.
OP wrote:
I'm wondering about this, how many of us are proud of our parents for more then just putting up with us?
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

Ace Pace wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:I'd say I'm proud the way my parents raised me and struggled against the difficulties of the world. I'm proud of my parent's intelligence and good traits.
OP wrote:
:roll:
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

Dude, that still sounds like a want ad.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Robert Walper wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:
OP wrote:
:roll:
Yea, Ace. Where's your own post? :razz:
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
ImpishAngel
Initiate

Post by ImpishAngel »

I guess I could say I'm proud of all my parents in some way or another.

My father has been a recovering Alcoholic for the past 10 years, and he is doing awesome. He's probably my biggest role model.

I'm proud of my mother for being able to go through all that she has, and still sticking it out and fighting. Surviving 6 misscariages, cancer, and even her job (she works the the severly physically and mentally handicaped, and often comes home with bite marks and bruises.).

I'm proud of my stepdad Ron, for being there when my dad wasn't, and for overcoming cancer twice, and a stroke.

I'm proud of my step dad Drew for trying to fit in here...It doesn't really work out, and I have many issues with him, but some are probably just from what I've got going on. But he's come to a strange country, and managed to get a job, and for the most part he makes my mom happy.

All in all, even though I get royally pissed at my parents, they have managed to do alot that makes me proud of them...Not even including all the shit i've put them through with drug rehab, and running away.

They are really awesome people.
He is my soldier, the love of my life and one day I will be a proud army wife
If he should be called to duty I will wait for him standing tall, for he is my soldier, my hero, after all.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

I did damn well in the parental lottery.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

I had the best parents EVER. I just don't want to go into detail about it in a public forum. It's a personal matter.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

I love and am proud of ne of my parents. The other can go to hell, and I wouldnt care if he caught fire.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:I love and am proud of ne of my parents. The other can go to hell, and I wouldnt care if he caught fire.
Damn, Seconded.

xBlackFlash
Apprentice

Post by xBlackFlash »

I'm proud of my dad for going to night school for ~5 years while working to support my family so he could get his masters degree (to do a better job supporting us). I'm proud of him being a damn good teacher. And I'm proud of him for being a recovering alcoholic.

Hmm... Mom's turn... I'm proud of mom for dropping out of college. I'm proud of her for taking classes online, but making me do all the work for them. I'm proud of her for starting numerous fistfights with me. I'm proud of her for having the will and resolve of a feather in a tornado...

One of these was sarcastic. Care to guess?
F.L.I.R.T.S. - No one remembers what it stands for

Better get your kids in, I'm on the loose again
And getting more rediculous
The more I think I ought to get my mind out of the gutter.
Lindar
Adept

Post by Lindar »

My Parents = the best parents Evar!!!*yays and sticks shiney stars all over them* Just don't tell them i think so...

is better if they think am a brat...

i love them regardless of what they think though
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ ... rlysig.jpg[/img]
Terminally Flirtatious : Gotham Grrl : Imp-kin : Comm Major : NOT a Blonde : Empyrean Night~Good Friends don't let friends die
"Oh, pipe down! It's not like you've never been bound and gagged before." - Harley Quinn.
Caz
Master

Post by Caz »

My dad killed a chick and went nuts and killed himself.

My mom's an abusive, scatterbrained idiot.

Yeaaah.
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

My mum's a bit over-protective, but with good reason. She's also, like I said, a semi-successful computer expert who's about to become even more successful.

My dad's a depressed WoW obsessive person who'd be living with his mother or father if any of his parents were still alive. His own family treats him like shit, and he's not really good at being a father. I'm mostly proud of him for not commiting suicide, since I'd probably be considering it if I were in his position. Hell, I consider it more than enough to scare myself nowadays.
JEAP
Apprentice

Post by JEAP »

Dad is... Dad. Real good guy. Was a mechanic until he was called to serve in Vietnam. Got put out on medical (he had a good excuse, he was a bayonetted through the shoulder, cut a bunch of tendons and stuff and gave him two nice scars) then when to work as a Sherrif Deputy for ten or so years until a guy he was arresting kicked both of his kneecaps off. He started driving truck after that. He might not have been home as much as I would have liked, but we were never wanting.

Mom is an artist and a good one. She mostly paints on tile and other ceramics. A tile job from her can cost a hundred dollars a square foot and its worth it. She is working on opening a bakery with my sister at the moment. Good homemade stuff, like Mamma used to make. Gah, I'm trying to lose weight, but my willpower crumbles in the face of fresh baked scones. And doughnuts! Homemade doughnuts!
"If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world. They could face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus...." --Major Meredith on the "Emu War"

That's like dinosaurs!
Knife
Apprentice

Post by Knife »

I was raised by my grandparents. Extrapulation: They are awesome, firsht for putting up with my kid ass when they were well beyond child bearing age.

Further more, my grandfather served as a moral compass for me. He was old school, yet pratical. Do unto others as they do unto you, but if they fuck with you, go ballistic on their stupid asses-type old school.

I gained massive amounts of healthy patriotism form him. He used to cuff me on the head for not standing for the flag when everyone else didn't stand. That type of shit. I'm a better human because of him. I care for others because of him.

I am a lesser being when he passed.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stuart Mill
Petro
Force of Nature

Post by Petro »

Everything I am, I owe to my parents.

My father served two tours in Vietnam in a highly dangerous and technical service, and has never backed away from his ethics. Whatever it took to keep the family going, he was willing to do.

Likewise for my mother, who busted hump during the very lean years of the oil bust. Also, she's a crack shot and scares the fuck out of me when she has a shotgun at hand.
If this sig banner appears with a grey background, get a better browser than IE.
Ali Sama
Initiate

Post by Ali Sama »

yes. my dad made sure we had money when he was killed by that drunk driver and my mom dealth with a lot of shit to raise me.
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230

My live Journal
Shark Bait
Adept
Location: A god forsaken chunk of swamp some ass built a city on!

Post by Shark Bait »

Hell yes I’m proud of my parents, both served in the Navy Mom was honorably discharged after rupturing several disks in her back, then got her masters degree in nursing. My dad who was at first a surgeon in the navy became one of the leading laparoscopic and trauma surgeons in Arizona after leaving the navy and he’s just an amazing guy, I hope I can one day be as good of a father as he is. Also my mom has basically adopted several of my friends like CT she is in many ways the Italian mother stereotype where food = love but its still great.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
-Adam Savage "Mythbusters"

"Rule 4: Blades don't need reloading."
-Zombie survival guide

"What is burning people but stabbing them with fire?"
-Frigidmagi
Delasaer Chval
Acolyte

Post by Delasaer Chval »

Maybe my parents haven't saved the world 100 times over. But I sure as hell am proud of them.

My dad, though he never finished college (since they wouldn't put him in electrical engineering, and instead, put him in chemistry science..or whatever it's called), he trained with the Bulgarian army. He had posts all around Bulgaria. He's the smartest guy I know. One of the smartest people I know. He may be a little gruff from time to time, and easily angered, but he's the best dad anyone could ask for. I learned to love video games, action movies, Star Wars, and a large variety of music from him.

Mom is just as awsome. She finished college once, was a French teacher, and cooks awsome. She's been taking another college course so she could get a better job and get more money. She's an awsome artist and a great writer, and could make a novel if she wanted to. I learned how to write a decent letter, draw well, and how to politely ask someone to get the hell out of my way.

They are heroes to me, for putting up with me and all my problems, and for putting up with each other's annoying habits, and their own. I haven't had a lot of fights with them. We bicker sometimes, but I love them very much. And I show them by being a good student and by, hopefully, smartly using their lessons and advice. But shhh! Can't have them think I'm all soft inside. :roll: :razz:
No, we don't stink. We smell.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Since my dad had just passed away, I guess it would be most appropriate if I pay some tribute to him.

During his youth, he was always the most famous guy in the university; not only that he was handsome (he was more handsome than either me or my brother), but he was also an amateur mountaineer, jungle explorer, and weight lifter. He was quite a He-Man; a Man with capital M and no wonder girls always flocked around him whenever he went. And yes, even to the top of the mountain and into the jungle as well! It was quite customary for him to "teach the ladies how to climb the mountain" during weekends. If you ever watched the TV series MacGyver, it was basically my dad when he was young, only with more girls! *Much* more.

But it was before he married my mom.

After his marriage, he was very loyal husband despite all his previous experience as womanizer. Even during the peak of his career, he was still loyal to my mom despite all the temptations usually happen to the people on top.

He also always told me to be a good family man, and to get serious in my relationships. However, during relaxed moments, he would just laughed and commented "an apple never fall far from the tree" if I share my experience. Sometimes mom too, would laugh and say to him, "see? He (while pointing at me) is just like you when you were young!"

My dad was also the founder of Wanadri; the oldest (and arguably the most famous) mountaineer and jungle explorer association in Indonesia. He was a Boy Scout when he was young, and a persistent admirer of Lord Baden Powell of Gilwell. When Pandu Indonesia (The Indonesian Scouting Movement) was dismissed and changed into a more government-oriented organization, my dad founded Wanadri, not only to fulfill the hobby of mountaineering and jungle exploring, but to uphold the ideals to help people and always be good to others regardless of race, political views, and religion; placing humanism above all differences.

And even until today, Wanadri is perhaps the most secular-humanist, pluralistic organization in this country.

My dad was also a social conservative, although NOT a religious conservative. His 'conservatism' is based on his own secular family values (and 'masculine' values) instead of religion. He strongly believed that it was a man's job to provide the bread for the family, but he also loved intelligent working woman like my mom. He strongly believed that a man should be able to defend himself and his family, and he was also a gun-supporter (before gun possession was banned in Indonesia in late 1970s; otherwise he probably would have taught me and my brother to use guns), but he always believed in protecting the weak. He also watched a lot of old western movies during his youth, and he was a strong believer that "the good guys in white hats should always win".

Before the ban of firearm posession, my dad also had a chance to try out several military-grade small arms that would make even The Shep feels jealous! He also loved hunting, and posessed one expensive hunting rifle before it was confiscated by the government.

My mom is also something to be proud of; she is without doubt a stereotype-breaker. When the girls of her age were busy with cosmetics and miniskirts and the likes (it was during the 60's when miniskirts were popular), my mom was busy studying hard to compete with men in a male-dominated university. Her dad was a teacher, and she always wanted to be a university lecturer, because she always wants to teach like my grandpa did. She always loves to teach and she is still actively lecturing now in her 60s.

When she married dad, few people actually expected it, because they thought a macho, He-Man like my dad should have married a stereotypical Barbie Girl! Nevertheless, they marriage stays and keeps staying despite the frequent fight when I was a kid. Both my mom and my (now late) dad are strong characters and strong-headed.

Unlike my dad (who was highly secular), however, my mom is always a religious person. However, she never believes in things like bombing jihad or the enforcement of Sharia. She always says that the true jihad is actually being a good person. According to her, a family man who's working hard for his family, for example, is doing a jihad. A government official who stay honest and stay away from corruption is also doing a jihad, and so is a honest businessman, a good teacher, a pair of good parents, and so on.

And if there's a thing I owe so much to both of my parents, is that they always raised me with "western" values. Most Indonesians may say that I've been too "westernized", but I strongly believe that everyone is free to choose whatever culture and values that suits her/him regardless of their race or ethnicity, and no particular set of values should exclusively belong to a particular race.

I am proud that my parents raised me in such way. They always told us (me and my brother) to be rational, to not to be bound by "traditional" values, and to get rid of those racial/ethnic stereotypes. Most Indonesians (particularly in Suharto era) are often trapped in self-racism; believing that Asian race should always conform to what so-called "oriental" values. Traces of such self-racism and self-imposed stereotypes (thanks to former dictator Suharto :evil: ) still can be seen until now. But thanks to my parents, I'm now an Asian man who doesn't fall into such stereotypes. And that's the way I will always be.
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

I am proud of both my parents. My Mom came from nothing, her family was literally dirt poor and she went to nursing school became an RN and is now the Program Director for Newborn Care at British Columbia's Childrens and Womens Hospital.

My father was also dirt poor and joined the Army to escape and after leaving he spent the last 30 years at the same dead end menial (but well paying) job to help support my sister and I while we grew up. I admire his patience and persistance to keep at it. Now that I'm out of the house and married, he's just marking time to retirement. :grin: