A forum contest(replacing stars)

ART: Movies, Pictures, Music the stuff that could be considered Art by some people

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Is it possible to change the symbol rather than add an identical symbol? I would rather like the idea of something that changes as you go on in time; my initial idea was to use military ranks, but then again this is more of a fantasy/sci-fi forum, isn't it?
We could use Sci-fi or fantasy ranks.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

I'd have to confir with adam but it might be possible.

And I would suggest the Elder sign or the sign of the necronomicon but they to would be offensive to someone I think
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Elheru Aran
Initiate

Post by Elheru Aran »

Er, those would be? Pictures please? If they're sufficiently obscure, I don't see a problem...
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I don't think the Necronomicon sign would shrink down very well.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Scottish Ninja
Initiate

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Probably not. It seems too detailed to make any sense at the necessary size.
[img=left]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/ ... vilwar.jpg[/img]Dakarne: That's no moon...
Dakarne: it's London.

Thank god for Tennessee Harold Ford protecting us from nuclear vegemite. - Petrosjko
Major Reilly: Air Command
"They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine" - The Doctor
Elheru Aran
Initiate

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Elder sign is possible, but as it's wider than it's tall it would be a bit tricky. Also, it'd look better with the colors reversed-- it'd stand out better against the default board scheme.

Another possibility is simple spheres, about the size of the stars we have now. Use different colors to indicate different lengths of time; for example, a person who had been a member for two years and eight months could have two red spheres for two years, two green spheres for three months each; possibly also two more spheres, perhaps yellow, for a month each. A bit complex, to be sure... I'm not sure if you could implement that on phpbb.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Initiate

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Seniority icons are a hack in and of themselves already, so making them display a seperate image with each level would either require a different hack or some PHP know-how. It's perfectly possible under the rank icon system built into phpBB2, but that is tied to your title, which is either admin-determined or based on your postcount, not seniority.
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

No it's not. It's a moderately powerful explosive. It CAN be used as a weapon for mass murder.
What else can it be used for?
So can magic. What did those pentagrams hint at again?
There's a difference between Magic and a Nuclear Weapon. One is real, and has been used to kill millions of people. One is fantasy, and cannot be used to kill millions of people because it does not exist.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Post by Destructionator XV »

You can propose any ideas you want, leave any technical limitations to me. Should be able to do just about anything you can dream up, so don't hold back!
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Dakarne wrote:
No it's not. It's a moderately powerful explosive. It CAN be used as a weapon for mass murder.
What else can it be used for?
Everything, city buster weapons are the most useless.

5kt level and such are very effective tactical weapons.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

I can probably shrink the pictures down, or get a picture small enough to work with the two pictures I posted. I could easily alter colors, etc. I just got big examples so that any who wanted to know what it looked like could easily see them.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

Gentlemen, the debate on the utility of nukes can go elsewhere. Dak votes no-nukes, that's fine.

I totally rock on the concept of the Aquila for an admin symbol. Fuck yes.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Pentagrams are positive symbols. It is a mathematically perfect symbol. And for my fellow 40kers, that makes it a nifty anti-Chaos ward. Wink

And frankly, it could be said stars have equally "negative overtones." After all, the five-pointed star (which is technically a pentagram, even) was the symbol of the USSR, which under Stalin committed unspeakable atrocities.

The point is, there is nothing inherently wrong with a pentragrammic symbol in and of itself. Christianity may have slapped it with a bad rep over the centuries, but not only is that reputation unfounded, it still shouldn't really matter.
Here is the problem with your reasoning. What is the pentagram used for primarily? It is used as a religious symbol. Reaching for "mathematical perfectness" is completely irrelevant in so far as it's use as religious symbolism is concerned, and personally i dont think that a primarily religious symbol should be used as part of official board decorum.

Call me a secularist, but I dont think any one religious symbol should be used; especially if equally good and less objectionable symbols can be used with no harm to us.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:Here is the problem with your reasoning. What is the pentagram used for primarily? It is used as a religious symbol. Reaching for "mathematical perfectness" is completely irrelevant in so far as it's use as religious symbolism is concerned, and personally i dont think that a primarily religious symbol should be used as part of official board decorum.

Call me a secularist, but I dont think any one religious symbol should be used; especially if equally good and less objectionable symbols can be used with no harm to us.
I personally don't see any problem with the pentagram symbol, obviously.

As to offending someone because of their beliefs in regards to said symbol, the solution should be simple. We don't make them come here, so they can leave if they are 'offended'.

If there's one thing I've learned online, it's we're not here to baby people's personal beliefs or feelings. No one should be held accountable to anyone's beliefs other than themselves.
Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

Here's another submission:

Perhaps a book of gaming spells, or historical reference. Maybe even a religious book. :wink:
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

I still vote nipples.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Petrosjko wrote:I still vote nipples.
That's because you're a dirty old man.

I vote two headed eagle for mods and admins (I add mods because I want one damnit). As for standard, I like the book thing Robert just put up.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

I like this one:

And for ease of the thread monitor, I'll recap all of my submissions:

Last edited by Robert Walper on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

Must we all have the same one? Maybe after a certain amount of time/posts/some other standard we can pick ours out of a list. Maybe I could still have my pi symbols.

But if we all need to have the same one, I now say go with the book. I'm not a mod or admin so I really shouldn't have any say about the really cool aquila.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
Scottish Ninja
Initiate

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I prefer the swords, myself.
[img=left]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/ ... vilwar.jpg[/img]Dakarne: That's no moon...
Dakarne: it's London.

Thank god for Tennessee Harold Ford protecting us from nuclear vegemite. - Petrosjko
Major Reilly: Air Command
"They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine" - The Doctor
Elheru Aran
Initiate

Post by Elheru Aran »

The swords do have a certain charm to 'em...
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

In the immortal words of Fighter:

"I like swords!"
Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

Not a Star Wars board, but nonetheless here's another one:

Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

SHINeEES!!!

Gotta have lightsabres... pweeze let us have lightsabres!