Most Interesting Magic Systems

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Murazor wrote:For me, the runic based "probability" magic from Deathgate has always been one of the most interesting concepts. It's a pity that Weiss and Hickman made a point of not exploring/explaining it in a comprehensive way.
Err, you say this despite the extensive apendices in the back of the books?

I'd have to say that Mage is easily my favorite because of the freedom it gives you. As such I am tailoring a very Mage-like system of magic in an RPG my friend are off and on working on.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:
(Actually, that leads me to an off-topic question: FR is by and large PS-compliant, but how do the Fugue, Kelemvor, and the FR afterlife fit into the PS die, go to most fitting Outer Plane, become petitioner system?)
The way we handle it is the divine realms and the Fugue are little corners of the multiverse (which is fucking huge after all). If the overgod of Toril wants things to operate differently with the dead of Toril than is the norm, then that can certainly be accomodated. Planescape is more than large enough to contain exceptions to the general rule.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Initiate

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Cynical Cat wrote:The way we handle it is the divine realms and the Fugue are little corners of the multiverse (which is fucking huge after all). If the overgod of Toril wants things to operate differently with the dead of Toril than is the norm, then that can certainly be accomodated. Planescape is more than large enough to contain exceptions to the general rule.
It's been my understanding that the vast majority of the divine realms are located on the Outer Planes themselves; e.g., Sune's Hall is in Brightwater, Olympus, Arborea.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:
Cynical Cat wrote:The way we handle it is the divine realms and the Fugue are little corners of the multiverse (which is fucking huge after all). If the overgod of Toril wants things to operate differently with the dead of Toril than is the norm, then that can certainly be accomodated. Planescape is more than large enough to contain exceptions to the general rule.
It's been my understanding that the vast majority of the divine realms are located on the Outer Planes themselves; e.g., Sune's Hall is in Brightwater, Olympus, Arborea.
That's my impression as well, although I haven't specifically seen such a reference in 3.0 or3.5.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

3.0 and 3.5 are purposly vague on the matter in the Core books. However the Maneul of Planes and other books do cover the material.

In this case it is my understanding, provided I remember correctly, that Brother-Captain Gaius is correct. Saddly this is heretical knowledge for a Marine of the Emperor, so several correctional agents are going to be wanting a few decades of his time now.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:3.0 and 3.5 are purposly vague on the matter in the Core books. However the Maneul of Planes and other books do cover the material.
They do cover the default setting of the planes, but FR operates differently, so the contradiction must be explained.

Which I do by blaming every difference and deviation on Ao. :grin:
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Actually Faeruns planes are covered in the books mentioned above as parts of the standard outer planes. However as per the usual arranagement, players and GMs and occually novelist are free to tell the rule books to fuck off when they please. Especially in regards to planur function and design.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:Actually Faeruns planes are covered in the books mentioned above as parts of the standard outer planes. However as per the usual arranagement, players and GMs and occually novelist are free to tell the rule books to fuck off when they please. Especially in regards to planur function and design.
No, they aren't. The Campaign setting doesn't put the gods in the standard outer planes and has a completely different after life process.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Initiate

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

frigidmagi wrote:In this case it is my understanding, provided I remember correctly, that Brother-Captain Gaius is correct. Saddly this is heretical knowledge for a Marine of the Emperor, so several correctional agents are going to be wanting a few decades of his time now.
Inquisitors have a tendency to "disappear" when rooting around too much in a Chapter's business, you know. Marines are loyal to their Chapter, their Primarch, their Emperor, and their commander, in that order, and rarely care much for what some silly Inquisitor has to say about any of them.

Anyways, I encountered a conversion of 2E Planescape to 3.5 at http://www.planewalker.com though of course, it isn't exactly the most canon thing around. It does make specific mention of FR pantheon deities and their realms amongst the Outer Planes.

Oddball thought - the base of the Spire nullifies magic and thus serves as a true neutral ground for Powers to meet... Cynosure, anyone?
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

To be clear, I run FR as part of the Planescape multiverse and believe that it should be part of it. I just haven't seen anything in 3.0/3.5 that firmly puts it there.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

No, they aren't. The Campaign setting doesn't put the gods in the standard outer planes and has a completely different after life process.
I speak of the Manuel of the Planes here Cat, not FR books.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:
I speak of the Manuel of the Planes here Cat, not FR books.
I know. I own it. I don't have it handy at the moment, but I don't recall any reference to Toril in it at all.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

In the list of planes, the various planes of the Faerunian deities are mentioned as parts of various outer planes, as well as being listed as such in several of the different alternate plane set ups.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:In the list of planes, the various planes of the Faerunian deities are mentioned as parts of various outer planes, as well as being listed as such in several of the different alternate plane set ups.
Really? That would be quite definitive. Excellent. I love being proven correct.