Warhammer Fantasy: Ashes of War

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The people began to wade through the water, holding their children up high. The chill, swift water came up to the chest of men and the shoulders of women.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Pcm979
Adept

Post by Pcm979 »

Harri rubbed his blades against the grass and strapped his Halberd back to his donkey's pack, wiping the sweat from his brow with his sleeve. He dragged the donkey over to the river and nodded at the mage respectfully. "Thanks for the help." He said, resting his sword's blade on his shoulder and panning his gaze around for any more threats.
"Are you trying to give me a spasm?" ~The Necrontyr Messenger
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

"My pleasure" cornelius replied as he scanned the area for additional enemies, the shaft of his scythe resting on his shoulder with the end of the haft off the ground, much like a soldier would carry a polearm.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

There did not appear to be any more mutants lying in wait, but one could never be sure. As Cornelius swept his gaze to the south, where most of the refugees has crossed over to the next bank, the sky changed in his witch sight. For a brief moment the southern sky was the colour of freshly spilled blood that dripped own over the land. The blood poured down, leaving the sky and sinking into the earth. As quickly as it had appeared, it was gone.

Cornelius and Harri were now alone on the north bank.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Cornelius made a mental note of what he just saw. He didnt know what it meant, but it couldnt possibly be good. He then turned and crossed the river.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

Pcm979
Adept

Post by Pcm979 »

Harri sighed and slid his sword back into his scabbard. "Lovely day for it." He muttered, hauling his donkey across the river and letting the strong current wash the beast's ichor off his clothes.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The travellers resumed travelling south. In the distance they could see the tower of a windmill rising above the trees.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

The mage looked toward the halberd wielding soldier

"Hopefully it will provide some shelter come nightfall"
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

elderdan
Acolyte

Post by elderdan »

Bernhard took heart at the sight of the approaching travelers. He'd understimated the distance to the next town (or, he was beginning to suspect, had taken a wrong fork earlier in the day) and didn't relish being alone in the spaces between civilization - not after dark. The open road was no place for a lone academic, even one who had some small ability to call upon the miraculous justice of Verena.

As they drew closer, though, he was somewhat less reassured. "Looks like you've had a bit of a recent scrape," he said said to a particularly tough-looking fellow with a polearm across his back. "None in your party were hurt, I hope?"
Dan Curtis Johnson | com . mac . crisper | Moreover, I advise that Carthage be destroyed.
Pcm979
Adept

Post by Pcm979 »

Harri shook his head. "Just some big mutant thing. Nothing we couldn't handle." He sized the other man up. "Harri Westmann." He said, extending a calloused hand.
elderdan
Acolyte

Post by elderdan »

"Brother Bernhard, of the Verenan Abbey at Schwergard... though I suppose, really, the 'brother' is optional right now," was Bernhard's reply, as he returned a firm handshake. "I've been making my slow way to Altdorf. Hoping to get some time in the libraries there. Nuln, it turns out, is rather hopeless if you want to learn about anything under than military history or siege engineering. Not," he quickly added, "that either of those are unworthy of study. In fact, I'm moderately well versed on both subjects. But it's not where my heeart and my head take me this season."

--The Elder Dan
Dan Curtis Johnson | com . mac . crisper | Moreover, I advise that Carthage be destroyed.
Pcm979
Adept

Post by Pcm979 »

Harri nodded blandly, not understanding a word. "I'm just a veteran looking for a job." He said concisely, scratching a ragged ear. He turned to Cornelius. "This is, ah..." He trailed off.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

My name is Cornelius, pleasure to make your acquaintance" the wizard said as he continued to walk alongside the mounted soldier.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

As the travellers continued down the road they could see evidence of fairly frequent use. Wagon ruts that couldn't be much more than a few weeks old were clearly visible, indicating that the bridge must have been freshly destroyed. Besides the windmill, a large house could be seen on a distant hill, poking up above the trees.

A gibbet proved to be rather more attention grabbing. It was freshly constructed from two pieces of wood. A revolting fusion of dog and man hung from it, next to a cat faced woman with two rows of three breasts and eagle's talons. The bodies had clearly been dead for several days.
elderdan
Acolyte

Post by elderdan »

Bernhard's eyes narrowed. "You haven't been the only ones dealing with the Chaos-touched out here, clearly. The good news is, someone else around here is watching out for trouble. The bad news is... there are apparently plenty of beastfolk running around in these lands."

He looked at the house on the hill, trying to see if there were any signs of current habitation.

--The Elder Dan
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Although distant, the house seemed to be in good shape. When taken into context with the gibbet and the windmill it did seem that there was a settlement nearby.
Pcm979
Adept

Post by Pcm979 »

Harri chuckled. "Staying in a large, spooky house for the night... Sounds jus' like the ghost stories I heard as a kid." Funnily enough, the thought of imminent mayhem seemed to put a hitherto unforseen spring in his step as they trudged towards the house, recalcatrent donkey in tow. "Come on, you old bastard." The soldier grunted. "Jus' a little further."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The travellers passed the gibet and pushed ahead. The trees parted to reveal cleared fields and the nearby windmill. A wooden pallisade surrounded a hillside around which houses stood. The maner house they had seen earlier stood at the top of the hill.
elderdan
Acolyte

Post by elderdan »

Bernhard scanned the little houses for sign of an inn. He didn't have a lot of coin in his pocket, but somewhere modest to put up for the night would do just fine. Perhaps, with these fellow travelers to help split the cost, there could even be a room tonight, instead of throwing out the roll on the common floor.

--The Elder Dan
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Cornelius had a bit of a smile on his face. he was not opposed to camping, but the thought of having a roof over his head, especially one protected by an honest to gods wall was especially pleasant to him.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

An inn stood by the road, just past the windmill. It was outside the palisade, but had a timber wall of its own surrounding it. A gate wide enough to easily admit a coach was closed, but the pull string of a bell dangled over the wall. A sign depicting a foaming beer mug hung was clearly visible.
Pcm979
Adept

Post by Pcm979 »

"It's nice to be wrong, except when it isn't." Harri declared, seeming to cover all the bases. He let go of the donkey's reins, shaking his head as it immediately flumped to the ground and started plucking at the grass. He walked over to the bell string and tugged once, feverently hoping the peal wouldn't rouse the local cemetary's corpses. Or something. You really couldn't tell in places Chaos had been.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

After a minute a small hole slid open in the gate. A young blonde man's face appeared. He looked out over the scraggily gang. "I'll be seeing the colour of your money first."
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Cornelius presented coin in front of the hole in the door. "We can pay, I assure you"
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The gleam of gold caught the man's eye. "Of course master. Please come in." The door swung open to reveal the inn yard, stables, barn, and coach house. The inn itself was a three story building with attached living quarters for the owners and staff.

Inside the taproom there was a roaring fire. An older man with greying hair and two young blonde women were polishing the furnature. "Welcome to the Traveller's Rest," said the man.