Battlefield 2

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
Brother-Captain Gaius
Initiate

#1 Battlefield 2

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

So. Who's got it?

Favorite team? Class? Weapon? Vehicle?

Obviously the game is incredibly awesome, the new engine is spectacular. Physics approach HL2's in detail and complexity - it's much more WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get). By that I'm talking about older games where the physical object (such as a tank) was slightly different in size and shape than the artwork/model depicts: e.g., if you fired a rocket that would fly a few inches over the top of the turret, it would still 'hit' because it's bigger than it looks, so to speak. That's largely gone in BF2, to the point where I've avoided being run over several times by going prone between the vehicle's tracks as it passes by.

The infantry combat is smoother by leaps and bounds and aside from some issues with weapon accuracy (especially the M24) it's pretty sweet. I miss the extended 3D map and radar of BF Vietnam, but it does add interesting dynamics in the commander's radar sweep and UAV missions.

I think the only disadvantage is the lack of hilarity from the previous two, 1942 in particular. Due to the wacky physics in the old engine some hilarious stuff was possible, like riding on the wing of a B-17, colliding with things in your Jeep, or just screwing around in general. Sadly that's gone now.

Anyways - I love the Medic class. I regularly get top of the team/game when I'm with a good squad as an infantry medic. The weapon is solid too, I like both the M16A2 and AK-101 (haven't tried Chinese AK-47 knockoff yet), though overall I think I prefer US slightly over MEC, though the latter's quite fun. It also has MiGs, so I can utterly dominate the skies in the sexy beast that is the MiG-29 Fulcrum.