Serenity Review (No Spoilers)

SF: Not to be confused with SyFy....
Lord Stormbringer
The Red Duke

#1 Serenity Review (No Spoilers)

Post by Lord Stormbringer »

I just got back from seeing Serenity, went with a bunch of friends and I was mightily impressed.

It had some really good sparks of character. I won't say development because we know they were there. But suffice to say that there were some really great character moments, of course with witty banter and great one-liners.

The action was great. Whether it was the fights, the space action, or just the good old fashioned chases, the whole thing moved. It's a longish movie but they kept it moving so fast that rarely did I realize it. A most satisfying movie in that respect too, Joss and the gang took full advantage of the big screen.

My only thoughts on it, were that I think a few things got trimmed here and there. Not sure what but I expect we'll find out.

Great movie.
Lord Stormbringer
The Red Duke

May I also say, I WANT KAYLEE IN THE WORST WAY! Damn. Just wow.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Is this easily watchable for someone with no prioer experiance in the series?
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Losonti Tokash
Apprentice

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Well, Ace, I have, at most, seen 10 minutes of the show (not in one sitting, either) so after I see the film I'll be able to tell you. :P
Bratty
Disciple

Post by Bratty »

We are going on Sunday. They had this deal here that if you went to the pre screening at the Alamo Drafthouse (college style movie place that you eat food and drink alcohol while watching the flick), actress who played Kaylee would be there to kick it off, answer questions, and sign autographs. ~brat grins~ shame you missed it Stormbringer :P

Personally, I like avoiding the crowds and pandamonium for such events, hence why we are not going tonight.

When you get old, it hurts to pee ;)
"She believed in nothing; only her skepticism kept her from being an atheist."

~Jean Paul Sartre, philosopher
Lord Stormbringer
The Red Duke

Ace Pace wrote:Is this easily watchable for someone with no prioer experiance in the series?
Easily so. I know one of my friend has seen absolutely nothing of the show and enjoyed the movie quite fine. You might miss a few in jokes but nothing much. It's admirably self-contained.
Lord Stormbringer
The Red Duke

Bratty wrote:We are going on Sunday. They had this deal here that if you went to the pre screening at the Alamo Drafthouse (college style movie place that you eat food and drink alcohol while watching the flick), actress who played Kaylee would be there to kick it off, answer questions, and sign autographs. ~brat grins~ shame you missed it Stormbringer :P
Sounds like a lot of fun. But Austin Texas is a bit beyond my travel radius, being up here in Detroit. :razz:

I don't hate you any less for tormenting me. :wink:
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

My lawyer was at the pre-screening months ago, where the actress who played Inara was present and signed programs.

I hate him. I'd tell him to go to hell, but considering his career, that's already a given.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

It was fun. I went to a theater with a group of friends. We were joined by more people from school, including my cousin (who also happens to be an assistant dean) and her husband, plus the local Firefly fan clubs showed up with free raffle tickets and prizes for trivia questions during the advertisements at the very beginning.

Ditto for everything Stormbringer said, minus the Kaylee part. I'm not really into girls.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

I just saw it with my mother.

It was good. Really good. But because I had been spoiled months ago, a few scenes seemed to hit softer than they ought to have. The origin of the Reavers was... interesting. (but not surprising)

Does 19:00 seem like an awkward time to you? That was the time of our session, and the cinema was less than packed. Is there any word on how it's doing across the world in terms of turnout and money made?
Bratty
Disciple

Post by Bratty »

Lord Stormbringer wrote:I don't hate you any less for tormenting me. :wink:
I am doing my job ;) BRATASTIC!

Will post more when I actually watch the blasted thing.

Bratty
Disciple

Post by Bratty »

Mayabird wrote:Ditto for everything Stormbringer said, minus the Kaylee part. I'm not really into girls.
That is what "Capt Tightpants" is for ;)

Awesome to here about your experiences. This is really hyping me up!

Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Stofsk wrote:Is there any word on how it's doing across the world in terms of turnout and money made?
Repeat.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

I really liked it. There's a link at SD.net that leads to some box office figures. I'll try to hunt it up.

Edit: Found. Serenity box office
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
zac naloen
Apprentice

Post by zac naloen »

Stofsk wrote:
Stofsk wrote:Is there any word on how it's doing across the world in terms of turnout and money made?
Repeat.

all i know is that Universal are pleased with how its doing.

debuted at the top in the uk.
Member of the Unremarkables
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

zac naloen wrote:
Stofsk wrote:
Repeat.

all i know is that Universal are pleased with how its doing.

debuted at the top in the uk.
Good. I was worried that the numbers wouldn't be good enough to set the stage for the sequels.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

It won't pay itself off I belive, maybe in DVDs(I hope). Theres movie theaters overhead, marketing, etc.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
zac naloen
Apprentice

Post by zac naloen »

but that doesn't matter, universal are relying on the dvd sales and always were i expect. firefly sold over a million box sets... work out how much profit they make in dvd's and you end up making a shit ton of money for the film
Member of the Unremarkables
Lord Stormbringer
The Red Duke

Ace Pace wrote:It won't pay itself off I belive, maybe in DVDs(I hope). Theres movie theaters overhead, marketing, etc.
With the low budget, I don't believe they were expecting huge theater numbers. I suspect they look to make it back over TV and DVD. Keep in mind that Universal is also attached to Sci-fi Channel.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

It won't pay itself off I belive, maybe in DVDs(I hope). Theres movie theaters overhead, marketing, etc.
It cost about 39 million to make. They've made 21 million last week adding in the UK and Australian totals. So...
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Uraniun235
Acolyte

Post by Uraniun235 »

I've gotten myself hooked on the TV show. Hope to have it finished before the week is out so I can go see Serenity in theaters.

I have to admit I wasn't terribly keen on the aesthetics at first, but the characters have more than made up for it.