New 40K RPG

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1 New 40K RPG

Post by Cynical Cat »

Last year Black Industries intended to release a big supplement for playing the Imperial Guard for Dark Heresy. It never appeared. Instead it has morphed in a full RPG. There is Only War!

Commissars, stormtroopers, Sanctioned Psykers, medicae, scouts, and more.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Hotfoot

#2 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by Hotfoot »

[youtube][/youtube]
White Haven
Disciple

#3 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by White Haven »

In class, so I'm blocked from gaming sites at the moment. Is it mechanically compatible with Dark Rogue Black Heresy Trader Crusade? If so, that'll be hugely useful for Rogue Trader ground elements and characters drawn from them.
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

#4 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by SirNitram »

I miss when I could play my exiled Techmarine.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Karrick
Initiate

#5 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by Karrick »

I love the Imperial Guard. I love RPGs. I love all the other 40k RPGs in FFG's line up. I'm just not sure this warrants its own full game. The idea of playing the plucky band of guardsmen fighting against all odds just... doesn't seem like it'd make a good game. Plucky bands of guardsmen have nasty tendency to die. Unheroically. Tangled in the wire and cut to ribbons by whatever hideous alien technology is the order of the day. For a meter of dirt that will be lost the next day.

That said... I must reiterate Hotfoot's sentiments.
White Haven
Disciple

#6 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by White Haven »

Now that I'm home and have been able to actually follow the links...

I don't really plan to touch a Guard campaign specifically, but I'm already cackling and rubbing my hands at the prospects of getting my hands on Only War as a Rogue Trader supplement.
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#7 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by Cynical Cat »

Karrick wrote:I love the Imperial Guard. I love RPGs. I love all the other 40k RPGs in FFG's line up. I'm just not sure this warrants its own full game. The idea of playing the plucky band of guardsmen fighting against all odds just... doesn't seem like it'd make a good game. Plucky bands of guardsmen have nasty tendency to die.
Gaunt's and Cain's boys and girls, special duty squad. All your really tough problems solved by characters who will show up throughout the series. Occasional casualties by name characters, no more than one every three novels, is sadly included.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Hotfoot

#8 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by Hotfoot »

Look, man, if they can take fucking Space Marines and make a legitimate RPG for that, Imperial Guard is dead easy in comparison. You can have everything from a Dirty Dozen style game to the A-Team.

Hell, this just about supplants Dark Heresy in my mind, since you have the same rough power level and scope, with updated rules for, well, everything.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#9 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by General Havoc »

Honestly, I like this concept a lot more than I like Dark Heresy's concept. Is it truly hard to imagine how one could possibly make an RPG out of the concept of "Seal Team Six vs. Cthulu"?
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#10 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by frigidmagi »

Wasn't that Delta Green?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#11 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by Dark Silver »

yes it was
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#12 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by Cynical Cat »

General Havoc wrote:Honestly, I like this concept a lot more than I like Dark Heresy's concept. Is it truly hard to imagine how one could possibly make an RPG out of the concept of "Seal Team Six vs. Cthulu"?
To be fair, Seal Team Six versus Cthulhu is Dark Heresy. Only War is more like "the Dirty Dozen versus the Tau", which is a slightly different kind of awesome.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#13 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by Josh »

Last Chancers, which was based on The Dirty Dozen. 40K offers you the chance to get really grungy with shit like Penal Legions, the Chemdogs and so on.

But c'mon, Seal Team 6 vs. Cthulhu? How could you not love that?
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Lys
Master

#14 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by Lys »

People use Dark Heresy to play Guardsmen all the time. Usually it isn't just Guardsmen, but rather Guardsmen seconded into an Inquisitor's. Still, just remove the Inquisitor, add a Commissar and a Sanctioned Psyker, and bam you have an Imperial Guard game. Also, read this and tell me it doesn't get you pumped up about serving the Emperor.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
The pretty flowers remind me of a song of elves.
Hotfoot

#15 Re: New 40K RPG

Post by Hotfoot »

I have long stated that good, solid construction is one of the most powerful tools in a Guardsman's arsenal, though to be fair using it in an offensive fashion usually requires an Earthshaker round or two. Still, this is the sort of thing legends are made of!

Oh exploding damage dice. :rofl: