SFR: Setting Poll

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

What setting should we use for STGOD Frigid's Revenge?

Low Magic Fantasy: Earth
9%
Low Magic Fantasy: Not Earth
45%
Steampunk: Dreams of Glory
36%
Steampunk: Other
No votes
Setting: Other.
9%

Total votes: 11

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 SFR: Setting Poll

Post by frigidmagi »

Settings FAQs:

What Does Low Magic Mean?

Low Magic refers to both the scarcity and power level of magic. In a low magic setting, most humans cannot or do not know how to perform magic. Nor is magic greatly understood. Magic is also much weaker and subtler then your average DnD game, spells like Flight, Fireball or teleport are right out. Magic items such as enchanted rings or swords are so rare, that they all unique and in many cases national treasures not for the use of scruffy wanderers. In fact, forget the DnD system. This isn't to say magic is useless or wimpy. Magic users can still drive men mad, summon beasts from beyond the pale, cloud perception or control the dumb creatures of the wilds. Shiftshapers such as werewolves exist. There are also still groups of magic users, cabals of mages, witches or shamans may move throughout your society. An Immortal wizard having made some ruinous pact may rule your nation (this will cost you). Spirits and ghosts walk the earth and can be bargained with for steep, steep prices (played by your beloved mod). Magic is not technology and any attempts to use it as such will fail. It is not science. In fact science can often best magic and men with strong wills and iron swords can cast down any sorcerer if they dare.

Note: Players can play non-humans, but must play mortal, physical races. Tolkien Elves would be NPCs.

Books to consider: Any Conan sotry by Robert E Howard or Almiric by the same. Bazil Broketail series by Chris Rowley. Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliott. Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolken.

What is Dreams of Glory?

A sort of steampunk setting where Venus and Mars both support life. Instead of the Void of space, there is a breathable, cold, dry ether. The Powers of Earth are setting up colonial empires using fleets of airships. Venus is a primitive jungle planet. Mars a desert planet with old civilizations. People who go into asteroid belt never return. The Venusians look with jealously and awe, the Martians scheme behind old eyes and Earthers strive for dominion.

Earth or not Earth?

Refers to the map. If you vote earth, we'll use an earth map. If you vote not earth we will use a map generated by the long suffering Derek, may he chip rocks long in good health!

Setting Other?

Means you don't like any of these and think I'm leaving out the best one. You should post what setting you want then.

I'm missing a sock

Check behind and under your dryer.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Iroquois Space Vikings.

Enough said.

Though I'll be happy enough with Low-magic. Already got me some plans.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

The Sunless Empire is ready to rise from the ruins of Great Britain.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Note: I clicked Setting other, so I could see the poll while logged in. My vote doesn't count so don't worry about it.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

I am going with non-earth low magic fantasy. I can have fun with that one.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

I might play in this, so I voted for low fantasy non-Earth because Earth gets metagamed too much in these things.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

the Free Republic of Acadiana will bring Enlightenment to the barbaric murdering masses. Though for the record, I did vote non-Earth fantasy.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

My personal preference is for Earth fantasy. Anyone who challenges my ascendancy will face the Jovian wrath of the Venificus Maximus, and the awesome power of the Legionary Magisters of the Collegia Mysticae, under whose aegis, the Legions march to the ruin of the enemies of Rome.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Norseman
Disciple

Post by Norseman »

I agree that Earth gets metagamed a bit too much, also I like the additional freedom of *not* having to deal with the historical baggage that comes with Earth. Something like Conan's Hyperborean age or a world where human cultures from all over are occasionally sucked in would do nicely.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

I was gonna be nice and just give you Iroquois Space Vikings. But now you're gonna get Ragnarok Ogres. You have only yourselves to blame.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

The Free Alliance shall stand before the onslaught of the Ragnarok Ogres as a united multi-racial people!

We shall perceiver!
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I will close the voting on Sunday. If you have someone who may want to play, bring them in. Currently, at the close of voting I will roll in Fantasy Earth votes with the Fantasy NonEarth votes, which gives fantasy an overall lead of 1.
White Haven
Disciple

Post by White Haven »

You may persevere, DS. Your vocabulary, however, shall not. :lol:

I'm...somewhat interested, but right now I just have way too much on my plate. Should that change, however, I'll keep my eyes open.

*muttermutter* Damned and blasted mapping work...

EDIT: Not voting, as I won't be available to start with.
Last edited by White Haven on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Well it's clear that the vote is running against me at least in the Earth/Not Earth context. I will see what I can come up with.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

You could still play a grand and decadent empire.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Actually, I have a much, much worse idea.

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I blame Charon.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

frigidmagi wrote:I blame Charon.
Safe bet.
KlavoHunter
Acolyte

Post by KlavoHunter »

I'm not entirely certain if I am in or not, but I'd prefer to go with a not-Earth for a fantasy game.

Is a nation of Necromancers and both their living and undead slaves too magical for this?
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Personally, I'd say it's not so long as it is a small cult of necromancers, not some vast amount of necromancers.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Zombies and even vampires would work having appeared in Conan. Skeletons and so on are right out. The Undead require a physical body of some sort to operate, once that body is destroyed they are useless. That or a magical power like Sauron, who you are not. That said it is possible to have a nation dominated by a cabal of Necromancers enforcing their will through unholy rites this is comparable to Stygia in the original Conan stories.

The ability of the necronmancers takes a bit of a hit in low magic. You are not able to rise and maintain vast armies of the dead but the ones you can rise are all the more frightening. You can also however do some neat freaky stuff to the living. Hordes of Ghouls are acceptable as are enslaved spirits chained unwilling in dead flesh. Or alien creatures Man Was Not Meant To Know.

Just check the various source materials I cited, Lovecraft works pretty to.
Last edited by frigidmagi on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, the Voting is now close. The Results were Low Magic Fantasy Earth 1, Low Magic Fantasy Non-Earth 5, Dreams of Glory Steampunk 4. Low Magic Fantasy Non-Earth wins. That is the setting we shall be playing. Hear Ye, Hear Ye!