Minecraft Review (image heavy towards the end)

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

kotaku.com wrote:Minecraft, the surprise hit of 2010, is a fairly simple title, happy to leave you to your own devices as you dig, build and die. In the months to come, that's about to change.

Creator Markus "Notch" Persson has told Develop that big changes are on the way for the game, in both its singleplayer and multiplayer modes.

"I think there's a huge potential in competitive multiplayer modes like capture the flag and so on, which should keep people – including myself – interested for a long time", he says.

"For the single player game and co-op game, I plan on adding some kind of overarching narrative to the game to drive the player forward and provide a sense of direction, and add many more new features, like monster towns and alchemy."

A narrative? Monster towns? It's amazing that these kind of things can just be bolted onto an existing game and it can accommodate them. Then again, it's precisely that kind of open-ended flexibility that's made the game so popular in the first place.
Interview: The Minecraft Man (Develop-Online.net link)

Since apparently many of my online friends have had their souls stolen by this game, I figured I'd toss this out to hear the gurgling zombie-line moans of "MIIIIINECRAAAAFT" just a bit more.

:cool:
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

You know rhoenix you could always join us...

One of us..
One of us..
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

one of us
one of us
one of us
one of us
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

One of us..
One of us..
One of us..
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Gooble gobble, gooble gobble...
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

Update released!

SMP is a bit more buggered, but SP is good. I found some of the pumpkins, wore one as a helmet, then stuck torches in the others to create Jack-O-Lanterns. You can even place them underwater!
KlavoHunter
Acolyte

Post by KlavoHunter »

Be wary, dying in single-player will no longer drop all the items you have on you. This is a BUG, be careful until it's patched out!
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

For now...our SMP server is a little borked...

infact, most SMP servers are a bit borked - it consumes massive amounts of memory and CPU time on B4's computer. It's a big, reported by a good deal of people. Waiting for the new software patches to come out for it.
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

Items not dropping when you die was just fixed. Now to go to hell!
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Yeah, my poor computer started whimpering when the server started going bonkers Poor thing...
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Well, since B4 sent me the map...I decided to grab a Render of our Server...

here it is.

GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

If you send me a link to the full version I'll host it.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

oh, I can host the image on the LibArc server....vbut it's 5.19mb in size....it's a huge ass map.
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

That's why I has me some righteous bandwidth! Besides, I want to see the full version :smile:
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

don't say I didn't warn you....

http://www.libriumarcana.com/users/darksilver/minecraft

The image is in there, right click and save as to keep a copy of it.

Warning, the file is HUGE (5mb and counting)
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

Thanks, this is great!

I have a 50/20 connection at work and a 25/25 connection at home. I doubt this will be a problem :D. It took me less than 5 seconds to load the picture here at work :).
Norseman
Disciple

Post by Norseman »

I am currently trying to recreate the temple district in Tenochtitlan (sorta anyway) but it's hard! Seriously that place was *huge* I have no idea whether its even doable or not. Still gonna try.
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

If you can think of it, you can recreate it (if not a bit roughly). As long as it fits within a block height of 128, that is. I doubt this will be an issue, though, as even your typical 64 block above sea level height is damn tall (1 block = approximately 1 square meter).
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Once we get the SMP server back up and running, you should join us there Norseman.

We're getting a pretty decent community growing, and as you can see, we're building all sorts of things...

My next project after I'm done the Manor and interior of the Tower, is going to be a Modern City Block.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

My current project list that I'm always looking for help on are the following:
Project Behemoth - The castle you see started around the center of the map
Project Leviathan - the community around the castle you see starting (housing, markets, eateries, etc)

And my new project that I'm going to start construction on is Project Ia!
Norseman
Disciple

Post by Norseman »

Well the Grand Step Pyramid will be 100 x 100 squares in size, which is *huge*, it will be 12 x 12 at the top where I'll build a wee temple and altar. It may be either 44 or 36 blocks high, depending on how precisely I follow the original. Let me tell you just levelling an area that big is exhausting. Not to mention that even if I use dirt to fill the interior I'll need ludicrous amounts of the stuff just to begin. Still I got nothing better to do.
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

Luckily you can spawn materials for your building :). For now, at least. Join up, it's much better playing with other people, even if you just chat. Makes your work go faster.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok, I am not talented enough to survive even a night on the game. The mix of keyboard and mouse has bested me.

*DELETE MINECRAFT.EXE*

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

NOOOOO
that's why you come play Survival Multiplayer with us, no monsters, so no worries about survinvg nights yet, until you learn.
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

Yeah, come play SMP with us so we can help you along, sans monsters. If you want to play SSP (Survival Single Player), you can go into the options in-game and set the difficulty to 'Peaceful' which will turn off monsters.

If you give it some time you'll get the hang of the coordination needed to move fluidly.