Deathwatch RPG (40K)

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1 Deathwatch RPG (40K)

Post by Cynical Cat »

It's out and I have my hands on it. So here's your review:

The Meat: This is a book about playing members of a Deathwatch Kill Team, an elite group of Space Marines recruited from all chapters who handle the hard stuff. The Deathwatch specializes in aliens, but is engaged in destroying all the enemies of mankind. To say the PCs start out badass is an understatement.

Character creation is fairly simple. You generate starting stats, apply the general starting abilities and then you choose a role (Tactical Marine, Librarian, etcetera) and a Chapter of origin. Those further modify your character and then you spend 1000xp to round things off and record the very small list of starting gear. Since that gear includes things like power armour and force weapons, it'll do the job.

The rules are slightly tweaked from earlier 40K games and that's pretty much for the better. The big change is existence of Solo Mode and Squad Mode special abilities, which represent combat skills and abilities that the characters have learned and developed as well as a reason not to treat Fellowship as a dumb stat. Its new and there are multiple options so its probably the most challenging part for experienced 40K players.

The game spends a lot of time on background material about the Deathwatch, the Imperium of Man, and the Jericho Reach. The Reach is a distant region of space, connected by warp gate to the Calixus Sector and is undergoing an Imperial Crusade of reconquest. It is also the site of an alien civilizations, worlds fallen away from the Imperium long ago, and the fell forces of Chaos, Tyranids, and an expansionistic Tau Sept.

A considerable amount of evidence is given over to the roleplaying aspect of the game, with the addition of a mechanic called Demeanours and chapter specific fighting styles and trappings. Interactions between the Deathwatch and the Crusade are also touched upon, as are the conflicting and complimentary goals of each group.

Enemies get a modest but not insubstantial treatment. They're divided up into Masters (bosses), Elites (individually formidable), and Troops (much weaker than Marines and generally parts of Hordes). Horde rules are introduced and can be applied to any creature type, so one could grab the Ork Freebooters from the Rogue Trader main book and turn them into a Horde with no difficulty at all. Horde rules and conversions are very simple and straightforward and allow countless numbers of Tyranids to be used by a GM while keeping it down to a manageable amount of dice rolling.

Gear might have been a tricky issue, but it was well handled. Players earn Renown as well as experience points. Missions are assigned a Requisition level based on the (perceived) difficulty of the task. Players get basic Marine gear plus a number of points based on their total Renown and the Requisition level with which to be assigned gear for the mission. Not just any Astartes can bear the sacred weapons of a fallen hero.

Art and Production values:
Generally good. The cover isn't very good, but most of the book is very pretty.

Editing:
There are noticeable typos and errors in several places.

Overall: Very Good.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Had the first game tonight. Character creation went fairly well, but these players are all Dark Heresy vets. The investigation portion of the game was mostly completed, the characters having been sent to find out why a distant station went silent. There was a small Chaos horde, up to bad things and the players discussed whether or not to report or to attack.

It was wonderfully settled by the leader (Magnus) saying "I think we should report three dead Dark Mechanicus and their underlings."

There will be a lot of violence next session.

The new Squad and Solo mode abilities are the trickiest part of the game, at least for old pros at the system, but we didn't have much chance to get into them. We'll give them a good try out next session.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

This sounds good, any new aliens in the book?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:This sounds good, any new aliens in the book?
Hive Tyrants, Tyranid Warriors, and Hormo/Termagaunts for Nids.

Firewarriors, Crisis Suit Leaders, and the Stealth Suit dudes for Tau.

Daemon Princes, Traitor Marines, and several different type of human soldiers for Chaos and renegade/heretic/Tau Jannissary troops.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I'm still plowing through the book and trying to get a handle on certain things, but so far, very positive.

In structure, the mission system actually reminds me of a more well formed Stargate SG-1 mission and equipment system. Episodic layouts with distinct objectives and challenges, with chances for the GM to throw things at you. I'll definitely be looking at this more closely for my own purposes.

I also very much like the "Solo Mode" and "Squad Mode" dynamics, again, something I'll have to poach in some way.

One thing I'm thankful for is that after Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader, adversary abilities are FINALLY in the god-damned traits section, so instead of having to flip between the front and the rear of the book to figure out what a damn NPC can do, it's all right there in one place. A minor thing, perhaps, but damn handy to finally have from a GM's perspective. At first I was taken aback by how few options there were for each "class", but that was because I was flipping around back and forth and missed the General, Chapter, and Deathwatch specific advances. Frankly, I think it's for the better. I've never been much of a fan of the idea of a hard and fast "class", and anything that can be done to increase options is better.

I'll have to see the Horde/Elite/Master system in use, but I've been fond of other systems that have similar setups. It's a solid breakdown for the players and the GM of what to expect in a fight. You've got the swarm of cannon fodder, the lieutenants, and the big bads. It works particularly well for games with characters that are supposed to be big damn heroes, and Space Marines certainly fit the bill.

As for characters, there are currently Six Chapters and Six Classes. Actually, that's not bad. Previous editions have had way too many classes, in my opinion, and they started to overlap. I would have honestly preferred more Chapters, but I can see wanting to keep it simple early on. However, of the six, fully half seem geared towards close combat in one way or another. I know it's big in the 40K universe, but I've always been a ranged kind of guy (gosh, is it any more clear I used to play IG?). They also made the Ultramarines the d20 Humans (I get to choose my bonuses? Why thank you sir) with a knack for leadership. It's kind of like making a bunch of really cool party-based things to do, but giving the biggest bonus for them to the Paladin class. It may be justifiable and even make sense, but a lot of people may grate under the "We must follow the Codex in all ways" attitude some players may take. Not that it's absolutely that it would happen that way, but the tendency seems strong.

That said, anybody can be leader, but with the ways the system works, you generally want to have a Tactical Marine with high fellowship in charge, especially in a varied group. The way the book describes it, a group should be switching leaders for nearly every mission, and I honestly don't know how I feel about that. If we need to have the tech-priest as the leader and he tanked his Fellowship to the point where we can't really do anything, there's not much point to it.

Anyway, it looks good, but I still have more to go through. Solid addition to the line and possibly the strongest so far just on the rules end of things.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Two small notes with regards to Hotfoot's post.

One, the chapters included were one original chapter and the five most popular chapters. That's why they're there. Space Marine junkies would scream bloody murder if they weren't.

Second is that the first planned expansion will include new chapters and guidelines for creating your own.

Lastly, on a humurous note, my group is two Assault Marines, two Librarians, an Apothecary, and a Devastator Marine. The phrase: "Tactical Marines are for groups that have insufficient numbers of Librarians. We roll Thousands Sons style."
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

One, the chapters included were one original chapter and the five most popular chapters. That's why they're there. Space Marine junkies would scream bloody murder if they weren't.
Ohhh let me guess...

Ultramarines have been mentioned. I'm gonna go, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Iron Fists!
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Close. Sub Black Templars for Iron Hands.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

On the subject of chapters, here's one I put together with CynCat and Marcao.

Deathwatch Mentor Legion

Past (1d5)
1- Service with the Hellforged Legion: The Mentor Legion values tactics, leadership, and discipline, and strive to bring those lessons throughout the Imperium. You were not sent to the Hellforged Legion to teach, but to learn and collaborate. With the combined expertise of your Battle Brothers and the Commanders of the Legion, you brought ruination to those that would oppose the Imperium.
2- Last Chances: You assisted the efforts of a Last Chancers Squad through numerous harrowing missions, acting as the support for their suicidal operations. Though many of the team are scum, they serve the Emperor and did so well, willingly or not.
3- Fleet Operations: Attached to Battlefleet Mortanos, you engaged in many Void Battles. from advising Fleets and Groups, to acting as elite hit and run commandos, you and your Battle Brothers served with distinction and aided the Imperium in annihilating several threats among the stars.
4- Chapter Assistance: You were assigned to another chapter, roll randomly or choose any other past experience from any other table.
5- The Seige of Dorann: You served with the Imperial Guard during the Siege of Dorann, a brutal battle in a war wherein humanity shed its own blood. Your squad was distributed between an entire regiment. The men you fought with rallied to you, fighting to the death against overwhelming odds, and using your instruction to kill scores of foes before falling themselves. Due to your efforts, the defenses lasted long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

Demeanor
The Strength of Many: The Strength of Many is a Demeanor (pg 32 DW) unique to the Mentor Legion Chapter.
The Mentor Legion sees the use of all things in battle, from the might Titan to the lowly Guardsman, and everything in between. Mentor Legion Marines often feel that failure stems from not knowing how to use these assets properly, and so will often instruct those they feel ignorant. They also encourage cooperation within the Imperium, for if all face the threats to the Imperium together, nothing can stand against the might of Man. When dealing with loners, a Mentor Legion Marine will attempt to subtly influence them towards doing what needs to be done through some deception or coercion, and failing that, threats as needed.
As many Mentor Legion Marines have been sent to the far reaches of the Imperium, they are used to the sight of abhumans in military functions and some stranger practices of other worlds. While they keep a close eye out for heresy, they are more accepting of using what tools as are available in the service of the Emperor.
Whenever meeting someone of great tactical or strategic skill, they stay close, learning what they can from the individual so that they might improve their own skills and pass on the lessons to others.
While a Mentor Legion Marine may reference the Codex Astartes or his own tomes from time to time, great pride is put on the Marine’s ability to innovate, especially in times of need. Creativity is a highly valued trait within the Chapter. This attitude can put them at odds with other Chapters that adhere stringently to the Codex Astartes, such as the Ultramarines, who commonly view the chapter as a bunch of upstarts with no respect for tradition.

Attribute Bonus
+5 Int, +5 Fel

Restrictions
None

Chapter Trappings
Sigils of Service:
The Sigils of the Mentor Legion are granted to those Marines who have proven worthy of bearing them into combat. The Sigils are added to the armor of the Marine, commonly upon the shoulderpads. Three examples are shown below.
*Sigil of the Mechanicus: +3 to all Tech-Use checks
*Sigil of Command: +3 to all Command Tests
*Sigil of Death: +3 BS vs. Pinned Foes

Tactica Mentoris:
This data slate contains the personal experiences of the Mentor Legion Marine through his many battles. It contains lessons learned fighting every type of foe, and alongside many different allies. When faced with difficult odds or decisions, the Marine will consult the tome for guidance and to enter new tactical data and observations. Before and after every mission, the data is backed up at a safe location, so that the Marine’s insights may never be lost. This item gives a +3 to a Tactics skill (chosen by the player).

Relic
The Rod of Macharius: Said to be the baton the great Lord Commander Solar held in battle throughout his glorious campaign, this relic is revered among the Mentor Legion. As their mandate has been to aid and instruct the forces of the Emperor, the legacy of Macharius is one that they solemnly revere. While not a Primarch or a Space Marine, Macharius is seen as a symbol of what greatness mankind is capable of, and what men can do under proper leadership.

The relic gives the wielder access to some of the most powerful communications tools to lead troops available, giving a +1 to cohesion, a bonus +1 to cohesion for each Primary or Secondary Objective completed in a Mission. It contains a holographic display unit which can alternate between displaying whatever symbol the holder wishes when held aloft, or can provide accurate information of the battlefield, allowing the wielder to better make grand tactical decisions. The rod itself also counts as an Auspex, but with four times the range of normal units.

Carrying the Rod of Macharius grants an automatic +10 to all command rolls and all interaction rolls with loyal members of the Imperium.

Solo Mode
Instruction of Fear:
Rank 1: +10 to hit targets, additional negative on the pinning test equal to Int Bonus, pinned foes are considered under fire for one additional round.
Rank 3: Any enemies pinned by the Mentor Legion Marine’s fire suffers a negative to all dodge checks to avoid fire from other sources equal to the Mentor Legion Marine’s Int Bonus, and all attacks made from other sources get a bonus equal to the Marine’s Fel Bonus.
Rank 5: Area of Suppression Fire increases to 90 degrees, bonuses double
Rank 7: Pinned foes are considered under fire for rounds equal to Fel Bonus

Squad Mode Attack
Action: Full Action
Sustained: Yes
Cost: 3
Strike as One: When the squad is attacking an enemy, ranged fire takes no penalty when firing into melee, as the Kill Team works together to avoid friendly fire. Base ganging up bonuses apply for the entire kill team for melee and ranged attacks, the bonuses for ranged attacks giving the appropriate number to BS instead of WS.
Improvement: All appropriate bonuses from ganging up granted by talents can now be applied. All members of the Kill team also get a +5 bonus to dodge or parry attacks made by the target.

Squad Mode Defense
Action: Full Action
Cost: 2
Weather the Storm: When in this stance, the Commander is able to make all tests to avoid cohesion damage at +10. If the cohesion damage is avoided, the commander may nominated one member of the Kill Team to make a free standard attack against the source of the cohesion loss, as long as it is within range and visible to the nominated Marine.
Improvement: Bonus doubles at Rank 4, target gets a negative to dodge the snap attack based on the leader’s INT

Psychic Powers

Strength of Character (750)
Action: Full
Opposed: No
Range: 5m Radius x PR
Effect: Allies equal to PR within range gain a bonus to Per, Fel, and Wil equal to PR.

Heavy Gaze (500)
Action: Half
Opposed: Yes
Range: 10m x PR
Effect: For a radius equal to 1m x PR, all enemies have their AB reduced by PR for purposes of calculating movement. If the movement of the target is reduced to 0 or less the target gains a level of fatigue. A successful toughness test vs. the Librarian’s WP will resist the movement effects.

Spirit of the Emperor (1000)
Range: 10m radius x PR
Effect: Allies equal to PR within range are immune to the effects of stun, ignore fatigue, and may re-roll all fear and pinning checks so long as they are close to the Librarian and the power is sustained. Any negative effects present before the power was activated return when it is not, and must be resolved in normal ways.

Veiled Assault (1000)
Range: 10m x PR
Effect: A number of enemies equal to PR must make an opposed willpower check or become unable to parry or dodge incoming attacks. Any successful willpower check will end the effect and the target may act as normal, though each target must make the check separately.

Black Eagle (1500 Pre-Req Rank 3 WP 40+)
Range: 5m radius x PR
Effect: A number of allies within range equal to the PR of the Librarian seem to disappear from sight. Any enemies wishing to detect the squad must beat an opposed willpower check with the Librarian in order to do so. Any attacks from a shrouded character will expose that character, but not the rest of the squad.

Emperor’s Will (2000) (Pre-Req Rank 5, WP 50+)
Range: 10m radius x PR
Effect: A number of allies equal to the PR of the psyker in the radius are affected by this power. All enemies fired at are considered to be at point blank range with nothing obscuring them from the affected characters, though the weapon must actually be in range to fire. The affected characters, however, are considered to be at one range increment longer and obscured by fog to all ranged attacks. Melee attacks are unaffected.

Chapter Advances
Skills:
Command (400)
Command +10 (400)
Command +20 (400)
Lore: Common (Any): (200)
Lore: Scholastic (Tactica Imperialis) (600)
Lore: Scholastic: (Cryptology) (600)
Tactics (Any) (400)
Tactics (Any) +10 (400)
Tactics (Any) +20 (400)
Tech-Use (400)

Talents:
Combat Formation (800)
Exemplar of Honor (800)
Good Reputation (Any) (800)
Talented (Command) (500)
Signature Wargear (500)
Technical Knock (500)

Insanity

Drive to Perfection

The Mentor Legion demands excellence not only of themselves, but of those they see under their tutelage. Sometimes this can lead to them seeming to be relentless taskmasters by those under them, unaware of what drives them.

Level 1 (The Plan is Sound): So driven to victory, a Mentor Legion Marine will use any tool at their disposal, any stratagem or tactic, no matter the cost. When set to a course of action, no matter how dangerous or damning, the Mentor Legion Marine must make a Challenging (+0) Willpower check to consider another plan, convinced that this must be the only way.

Level 2 (No Tool Withheld): In every mission, the Marine must have at least one item with a minimum renown requirement of respected for his tier (with each grade up counting as an additional tier’s requirement). If he enters the mission without this requirement or loses the item(s) during the course of the mission (not counting using ammunition or grenades), he is distracted and upset, and suffers from a rank of persistent fatigue.

Level 3 (No Work Undone): In any mission, the Mentor Legion Marine must attempt to complete every objective, no matter how difficult or trivial. To attempt to avoid an objective requires a Hard (-20) Willpower Test, which may be modified based on the importance of the objective by the GM. If the test is failed, the squad’s cohesion is reduced by 1 for each failed test.