Maine Republicians steal from classroom

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Maine Republicians steal from classroom

Post by frigidmagi »

Pressherald
One School Committee member, saying she's "appalled" by the behavior of some of the Republicans who used a room at King Middle School last weekend, wants to protect the city's public schools from future harm.

Sarah Thompson said she plans to raise the issue when the committee meets on May 19. She has asked Superintendent Jim Morse to contact City Manager Joe Gray so the committee will have a clear understanding of policies and legalities related to the rental and public use of school buildings.

"We allowed them to use the space and I'm appalled that they would go through a teacher's things, let alone remove something from a classroom," Thompson said Wednesday. "We want the public to use school spaces, but they need to respect that it's a school and understand that they should leave it the way they find it."

The Republican State Convention was held at the Portland Exposition Building, which is on Park Avenue, near the middle school. Party members from Knox County caucused in a classroom used by eighth-grade social studies teacher Paul Clifford.

When Clifford returned to school on Monday, he found that a favorite poster about the U.S. labor movement had been taken and replaced with a bumper sticker that read, "Working People Vote Republican."

Later, Clifford learned that his classroom had been searched. Republicans who had attended the convention called Principal Mike McCarthy to complain about "anti-American" things they saw there, including a closed box containing copies of the U.S. Constitution that were published by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Maine Republican Party leaders have issued a written apology to King students and teachers.

"King Middle School was kind enough to allow the (party) to use their facilities and we are deeply concerned about the lack of respect shown to the faculty," wrote Executive Director Christie-Lee McNally.

McNally said the party doesn't condone the destruction of property or encourage the lack of tolerance that a few convention-goers demonstrated.

"Over 900 other people attended these caucuses without incident and I hope that the actions of few do not tarnish the image of many," she said.

Thompson, whose children have attended King, noted that the middle school follows an Expeditionary Learning curriculum, which encourages students to investigate subjects in depth and from all angles.

She also defended Clifford, saying that he wouldn't promote one political ideology over another or restrict students from expressing their own thoughts, which were reflected in some posters in the classroom that students had made.

If the Republicans who used the room didn't like what they saw, they had every right to complain, by writing a letter or making a phone call, Thompson said. They didn't have the right to search, destroy or take anything in the classroom.

"School is about the exploration of ideas," Thompson said. "People need to respect that, regardless of their political party."
Smooth move guys.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
KlavoHunter
Acolyte

Post by KlavoHunter »

"Just a few bad apples!" the cry will go up once more... :roll:
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

And the CONSTITUTION is a piece of Un-American propaganda!!

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:And the CONSTITUTION is a piece of Un-American propaganda!!
Damn Commies. Franklin especially!
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

So when exactly will they be brought up on charges for stealing state property? Out of curiosity.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

#6 Re: Maine Republicians steal from classroom

Post by The Minx »

Later, Clifford learned that his classroom had been searched. Republicans who had attended the convention called Principal Mike McCarthy to complain about "anti-American" things they saw there, including a closed box containing copies of the U.S. Constitution that were published by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Wait, what? Do these people actually think about what they say?
Last edited by The Minx on Sat May 15, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Librium Arcana resident ⑨-ball
Charon
No

#7 Re: Maine Republicians steal from classroom

Post by Charon »

The Minx wrote:Wait, what? Do these people actually think about what they say?
These are the same people who agree with Pat Robertson when he says "Elena Kagan once played Softball, she is obviously a lesbian." (Paraphrased).

So really? No. No they don't.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

I think it is more the fact that the copies were printed by the ACLU, not that they were the constitution.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

B4UTRUST wrote:I think it is more the fact that the copies were printed by the ACLU, not that they were the constitution.
Yea, I got that. :smile:

The Constitution is still the Constitution, though. Perhaps it was an annotated copy or something. :???:
Librium Arcana resident ⑨-ball
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Well, it's obviously because it was the Liberal version of the Constitution that was printed out.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

considering they didn't mention opening the box to find out...thus it was from a shipping label they figured out what it was....

Well....

These idiots are just that...law breaking idiots.

Also, working people don't vote republican. I'm a working person, and I sure as in hell didn't vote for them.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Dark Silver wrote:considering they didn't mention opening the box to find out...thus it was from a shipping label they figured out what it was....

Well....

These idiots are just that...law breaking idiots.

Also, working people don't vote republican. I'm a working person, and I sure as in hell didn't vote for them.
I too am a working person (granted a working academic...) and I would sooner become a eunuch than vote for them...
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

I like that. "People who actually work for a living don't vote Republican."

It might become more and more true as time goes on, if the Republican party doesn't find its way.

Amusingly, the two groups most in charge of the R party right now seem to be the soulless business types, and the hardcore Christian types - it says volumes about who's left to represent the party now, and who's not there anymore.

- William Gibson

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

I wonder at times if any of you even know a Republican.
Last edited by General Havoc on Sun May 16, 2010 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

General Havoc wrote:I wonder at times if any of you even know a Republican.
I've known a few. My grandfather was one, and the values he held as a Republican I respect and appreciate.

The current crop of people with (R) currently in politics do nothing to inspire confidence within me, with the possible exception of Bob Corker.

Then again, to be fair, very few of those with (D) or (I) after their names do much to inspire confidence either.

- William Gibson

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

General Havoc wrote:I wonder at times if any of you even know a Republican.
Yes. And these days, very few are tolerable. Some of the ones still loyal to a party that no longer speaks for them are cool.
Then again, to be fair, very few of those with (D) or (I) after their names do much to inspire confidence either
I can count them on a hand or two
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Sun May 16, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

Sometimes I wonder if the Constitution has become like the Ten Commandments. A lot of people say they revere it and wave it around everywhere for any reason, but ask them if they know what's in it and you get some hemming and hawing because they don't actually know anything about it except that they're supposed to revere it.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Mayabird wrote:Sometimes I wonder if the Constitution has become like the Ten Commandments. A lot of people say they revere it and wave it around everywhere for any reason, but ask them if they know what's in it and you get some hemming and hawing because they don't actually know anything about it except that they're supposed to revere it.
Given all the talk lately about it, I'd have to say so.

- William Gibson