New User Introductions Mk II

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Well that's why you kill it first, obviously.

Welcome, Dragonfolder. Just ignore our rambling. We do that a lot.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

You ever tried to fold a piece of paper more than a half dozen times or so? Now imagine trying that with something the size of a midsize private yacht. Covered in DRAGON SCALES.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Batman wrote:A parking garage, maybe. We're talking an awful lot of dragon here.
An awful lot of dragon that's not going to take kindly to you trying to fold it. :wink:
The point is, you don't really care what they think about the process. :grin:

And, well, you're telling me that you DON'T have enough room for a simple dragon origami piece? Where exactly do you live? In a hovel? In the sewers like the ninja turtles?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

A made-out-of-Smaug-Pelendralar-Dunkelzahn-or-Lofwyr origami piece? The CAVE probably has the room for something like that but I don't see that working as a couch decoration or wall ornament even up in the mansion.
AND the point isn't wether or not I care, but that THEY do. Or more properly, the point is that they WON'T care for it. At ALL. :grin:
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

So? If you're strong enough to bend a dragon into odd shapes, you don't really give a shit what they think about it. And if they become extra-annoying, you whack them over the head a few times until they come around to your point of view.

And, well, that's the point of origami. You can bend them into pretty much any shape to fit your reasonably-sized accomodations (note: my definitions of "reasonable" may not match yours. :grin: )

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

And once more, that depends on what KIND of dragon you're folding. Swamp dragons? Risky, but entirely doable. Modern world Komodo dragons? Potentially risky (I have no idea how aggressive those beasties are), inevitably messy but still doable. Great Wyrm style fantasy dragons?

And kindly note that origami pieces tend to be essentially two-dimensional. Dragons generally aren't. :grin:
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

(I have no idea how aggressive those beasties are),
Very. The answer is very.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Batman wrote:And kindly note that origami pieces tend to be essentially two-dimensional. Dragons generally aren't. :grin:
Precisely, good sir - which makes such a pastime all the more intriguing. This brings to my mind the idea of a very average-looking man, unadorned by fluff such as a sword, armor, dagger, or really anything other than himself and the clothes on his back. I doubt he'd even carry a walking stick.

As the man calmly walks up to the dragon within, the dragon suddenly finds itself being...reshaped very much without its prior knowledge or consent. Yet despite whatever specific forms of protest the dragon makes, be they made of roars, gouts of flame, huge and sharp claws or fangs or tail; none of them really seem to attract more than casual disinterest, completely ignored but for the times in which a particular method a dragon uses to express its displeasure and polite and not polite requests to stop and get the hell out of its cave.

Instead, the dragon soon finds itself now folded into what appears to be a flower, leaning artistically against a pillar in such a manner as to suggest growing against it during many previous months, from what the dragon can see in its reflection from the shield nearby. Further protests by the dragon, now reduced in its options to uncomfortable-sounding muffled noise, appear to be completely ignored by the man, now casually picking through the dragon's horde. Finally the man shrugs and walks out saying to the dragon "Not really much to look at in there. You might want to work on that," as he walks out of the cave unto whence he came.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

Hello all, I'm Vehrec, also known as Vehrec almost everywhere on the internet, except on KoL where I go by OriginalName. Been meaning to stop lurking around and actually get an account for a while.
Summer camp, summer camp!/The donuts that they give you/they say are mighty fine/but one rolled off a table/and AHH FUCK WHY ARE THERE ZOMBIES IN THE CANOE CABIN
Camp Fuck You Die. Applying here is the most stressful thing in the universe.
Someshta
Acolyte

Post by Someshta »

Hello all, I'm SOMESHTA, also known as SOMESHTA almost everywhere on the internet, except on KoL where I go by JUANCARLOSDESANTIAGO.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

KoL... wow, I don't think anyone's played there for several months...

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

I'm tired, officially have no sense of humour AND am currently dead apparently so excuse me for not having a witty 'Welcome the noobs' post ready.
So, hi there. Welcome to LA, guys. On your own heads be it.
And seriously, 'Someshta'? Would it KILL people to pick marginally pronounceable usernames?:razz:
Not that your 'Welcome the noob' posts were ever all that witty to begin with, Master Bruce.
A heartfelt welcome from the rest of us Cave Dwellers and Mistress Barbara, Master Someshta and Vehrec.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

LadyTevar wrote:KoL... wow, I don't think anyone's played there for several months...
Well, you still have a forum for it, even if it is dead, and it is the Crimbo season.
Summer camp, summer camp!/The donuts that they give you/they say are mighty fine/but one rolled off a table/and AHH FUCK WHY ARE THERE ZOMBIES IN THE CANOE CABIN
Camp Fuck You Die. Applying here is the most stressful thing in the universe.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

True...b ut I don't think Nitram's even touched it this Crimbo.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Limepink
Apprentice

Post by Limepink »

Hi everybody, I was told to keep it simple and not tell my life story, so I figured an ode wouldn't count as a story? If it does, I'm well..."versed' in haikus and sonnets.

Its a small ode, and incomplete, being only on page 36 of a estimated 742 pages, however I was also told I have a five-day limit to say something or be deemed a robot and banished to the depths of the internet, a fate crueler than running out of anti-unicorn repellent and having everyone realize you're a virgin.

With that aside,

Hi, I am Limepink. I'm still not entirely sure how I ended up in this corner, as it seems to be a new, odd, confusing corner filled with things I'm not quite sure I understand, but there are some things that make me hope we'll get along and I'll grow to adore you all and write poems in your honor, and troll for hours a day.

We like proper spelling. This is a great boon.

We like to write!

We like dark humour?

We possibly like unicorns.

We all enjoy tormenting the admins?

We like books!

Possibly other people are interested in cartography and making their own maps too?

See, this could work out better than I thought. I'd like to take it slow though, get to know each other a bit before jumping the gun and meeting the families and picking color schemes though.

I see everyone wrote where their from. I'm from uh....fanfiction.net? Does that count as close to anything? I dig sycophanthex too.

So, with all that aside....

Hi :grin:

P.S- Will post my ode when it is done.
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

As web boards go I'd not consider this place all THAT new but anyway welcome to Librium Arcana, Limepink :grin: Enjoy your stay, if you're clever you'll go to to great lengths to disappear your organ donor card and be VERY wary about free food offered by longtime members :grin:
A hearty welcome from uth cave dwellers too, and Mathterth Timothy and Richard ath well ath Mithtreth Barbara, limepink.
Oh, and meet Igor, who occasionally fills in when Alfred isn't feeling well.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Them unicorns are a bitch, alright. Biggest cause of hemorrhoids known to mankind or others - its terrible. Horrible stories are told about travelers who go too far at night and get..."accosted" by roving hateful gangs of unicorns.

Or maybe that was an odd dream brought about by adding winterfresh gum flavoring to steak - either way, welcome. We're only completely insane most of the time, but we draw pretty pictures during that time.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

I happen to be perfectly lucid, thank you very much. It just LOOKS like I'm completely insane because by some twist of fate or other I actually happen to be a fictional character from superhero comics.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Batman wrote:I happen to be perfectly lucid, thank you very much.
Wait for it...
Batman wrote:It just LOOKS like I'm completely insane because by some twist of fate or other I actually happen to be a fictional character from superhero comics.
THERE we go. :wink:

- William Gibson

Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

NOW what? Yes, everybody actually CHOOSING to be Batman would be a raving lunatic, obviously, nobody in their right mind WANTS to be Batman, but it's not like I had a choice. Parents murdered in front of my eyes, the whole hole incident (pun intended), the cave... :razz:
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

I'm Batman.

*throws cape behind him to blow dramatically in the wind and disappears into the night*
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Does that make me the Joker?
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

.....Christ you people are fucking odd..

And no Havoc, that doesn't make you the Joker....your the Party-killer....not the Party Killer.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Limepink
Apprentice

Post by Limepink »

...Who are the uth cave dwellers, and why are they living in a cave? Is it a nice cave? Do they have a secret handshake? Do they go to war with the subway dwellers?

And pretty pictures are pretty damn bad ass and something I am indeed rather acquainted with.

Am I included in the "fucking odd?"
Knowledge without passion is clinical and cruel. Passion without knowledge is misguided and weak.

In the East they tell you to cover your body, in the West they tell you to cover your mind.

It fills me with fear and hope, that Resolution, Revolution, and Revelation, are so close.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

There are vampires in the sewers.

*nods sagely*