Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay?

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1 Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay?

Post by Cynical Cat »

Since the Arcana Evolved game died before it ever got started, is anyone interested in giving non 40K Warhammer a spin?
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

I'd give it a go.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Are we talking the 'classic' Elf, Briton, Dwarf, etc... or are we talking the WitchHunters and such?

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Umbras
Acolyte

Post by Umbras »

LadyTevar wrote:Are we talking the 'classic' Elf, Briton, Dwarf, etc... or are we talking the WitchHunters and such?
Elf, Briton, Dwarf etcetera are races. Witch hunting is a career. You haven't actually asked a question.
"Forgivness is between them and God, its my job to arrange the meeting."
"I don't want you to kill him -- I just want you to bury him. If he dies in the process, that's his problem."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

And that was me. My bad. I was quickly checking the board from Umbras's place and forgot to log in on my account.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

You're forgiven. And I was asking because I remember WH-Fan in the early 90s, when it was Britons v/s The Lich King and the Elves v/s damn near everyone :wink: WitchHunters are something I've only just heard about recently, via friends who play the MMORPG.

To be honest, I played more BloodBowl than WH.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Ahh. You're talking about the army game. Totally different. That's just people getting together with their friends to match their army from country A against their buddy's army from country B. The Bretonnians et. al. were just popular armies. I'm talking about role playing. Playing people living in the Warhammer world getting dirty, trying to make money, and maybe shooting black powder weapons at charging rat-ogres.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok, I might be interested

Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Cynical Cat wrote:Ahh. You're talking about the army game. Totally different. That's just people getting together with their friends to match their army from country A against their buddy's army from country B. The Bretonnians et. al. were just popular armies. I'm talking about role playing. Playing people living in the Warhammer world getting dirty, trying to make money, and maybe shooting black powder weapons at charging rat-ogres.
Oh, I'm definitely in then. Even more so if I can be a dwarf with a ridiculous hammer.
Last edited by Cpl Kendall on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Define "ridiculous" but this is the game named after a heinously powerful dwarven warhammer given as a gift to the man-god founder of the Reik.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Cynical Cat wrote:Define "ridiculous" but this is the game named after a heinously powerful dwarven warhammer given as a gift to the man-god founder of the Reik.
Ridiculous as in grossly over sized. :wink:

Sigmar's hammer was a gift from the Dwarves? Hmm, maybe I actually should pick up the Time of Legends books.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Yeah. Sigmar saved a dwarven king from being eaten by orcs when he was a young man, before he united the tribes and formed the Empire. He was given Ghal Maraz as a gesture of gratitude. The Reik and dwarves have always gotten on well and a significant number of dwarves live within the Reik. In addition, it's impossible to advance to the higher ranks of Sigmar's priesthood without learning Khazad (dwarven) and getting a Khazad secret name.

As a side note, dwarves and the Empire are the top makers and users of firearms in the world (barring the Skaven but do you really want to use a weapon that incorporates warpstone?).
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

So I'm looking through the WFRP rulebook and I gather we take a starting career, which in turn limits us to a specific future career.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:So I'm looking through the WFRP rulebook and I gather we take a starting career, which in turn limits us to a specific future career.
Not really. The career system is extremely fluid. Careers tend to have multiple exits and one can abandon a career to pick another basic career if they wish. Advanced careers can only be entered from completed careers that have that advanced career as an exit. For example let's say I started off a mercenary. The following routes are all possible:

Mercenary completed-Shieldbreaker completed-Veteran

Mercenary completed-Bounty Hunter completed-Veteran

Mercenary completed-Veteran not completed-Sergeant

Mercenary not completed-Apprentice Wizard completed-Journeyman Wizard

The idea is that no one starts out as a treasure hunter. They train for some trade or profession and then decide to take up adventuring. They'll develop skills and abilities based on their backgrounds, experience, and what training and mentors they obtain throughout their lives.
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Well that's not so bad then. I was looking at Runebearer or one of the more nautical careers, which seems to provide a nice balance of useful skills.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

I am willing to give this a shot methinks... I need to get and study the books though. As for what I want to play... you know me.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Anyone else interested? We have elves, dwarves, halfling pie sellers, steam engines, ice magic, and badass archery.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

STEAMTECH!

I'm in if I can dig up the icky mechanics.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

And Russians too! :wink:
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

And strangely no English...
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:And strangely no English...
Actually there are English. Albion is more than a bit of a backwater though . . .
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

That's more like pre-Saxon English isles though isn't it? Not excaltly English as we would think of it.

Not like the Empire is a pretty good match for the Holy Roman Empire or Brittanity one for Medieval France.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:That's more like pre-Saxon English isles though isn't it? Not excaltly English as we would think of it.
Truth. Probably makes the Scottish nationalists happy though. :D
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

*breaks out the woad*

FRRRREEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

So the first things to do ladies and gentlemen is choose race.

If you want to chuck spells go with human or elf. Elves are slightly better casters, humans a little bit more lucky and durable, so it balances out pretty well.

If you want to chuck priestly spells, go with human.

If you want to do water work, human.

Humans and halflings make the best social characters and rogues.

Elves, dwarves, and humans melee well. Halflings do ranged combat really well.

If you haven't really thought of a career, don't sweat it. Random career rolls work pretty well and add a touch of "you're born into your trade and if you don't like it, no wonder you fucking left it to be an adventurer."