Any Interest In A Game Of Dark Heresy?

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

And here I come to save the day:

timeline of Callixus Sector

rapid share link to vehicle rules

The Apocrypha section of Dark Heresy went bye-bye when Black Games croaked, but it's still floating on the net. Rogue Trader intends to redo the vehicle rules.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Excellent! Thanks a bunch CC. :grin:
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Excellent! Thanks a bunch CC. :grin:
Welcome.

BTW, we faced an enemy gun cutter(in a gun cutter and boy did we suck at it, but firelinked lascannons helped) and a couple of WWII style half tracks with guns (on foot with limited ammo and weapons and that was rough).
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Hey fgalkin, let us know when your back if you want in. I've got a rough outline of a scenario worked out.
Karrick
Initiate

Post by Karrick »

Unbound demonhosts sort of put things in perspective :grin:
Mercury01
Acolyte

Post by Mercury01 »

Luccia was born on planet Heterodyne, a feudal world. Clerics of the Imperial Creed preached the God-Emperor's words and Luccia was a devout and eager student, even as a young child. Her parents were soldiers, tithed to serve in the Imperial Guard along with countless others. They met their end fighting Traitor Guardsmen to establish a beach-head on the war-torn world of Malice. As such, the missionaries dutifully brought Luccia to the Schola Progenium on Reshia. There, the Drill-Abbots found her to be unswerving in her devotion to the Imperial Creed and tenacious in physical and mental hardship. Her piety was firm and her voice clear in every hymn she sang.

As providence would have it, a Sororitas cohort on training maneuvers arrived to replenish their forces. In Luccia, they saw a fine candidate for novicehood, and she saw in the Sisterhood a place of militant piety which nurtured her own fierce devotion and fit her training. She was inducted into their ranks once graduated from the Progenium.

100 Awareness
100 Performer (singer)
100 Perception (simple)
100 Dodge

Hmmmm, is it permissible to swap out the starting laspistol with a lasgun/melee attachment and just pay the difference in thrones? That's pretty much all I want as far as items go....
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Hey fgalkin, let us know when your back if you want in. I've got a rough outline of a scenario worked out.
Sometime by the end of this week. I'm still reading the rulebooks, though, so my knowledge of the rules will be...less than perfect...for a while.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

fgalkin wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:Hey fgalkin, let us know when your back if you want in. I've got a rough outline of a scenario worked out.
Sometime by the end of this week. I'm still reading the rulebooks, though, so my knowledge of the rules will be...less than perfect...for a while.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Eh, you're not the only one. I'm waiting for my copy of the core book to arrive.

Which leads to this question, will I need the other two books or is the core just fine for this game?
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

What, we need to know the RULES to play? I thought that was just the GM's job. :wink:

I do not have the books, I am not planning on getting the books. I'm relying on Cyncat and the GM to keep me from being too much of an idjit.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

I have a lot of experience with the game. Throw rules questions my way.

Breakdown for how stuff happens

xbonus=the tens digit of the stap. Willpower 43 equal a Willpower bonus of 4.

Initiative rolls: 1d10+Agility bonus+any special modifiers (Hive Worlders get +1 as one of their traits)

Using a skill

Basic skill, don't have the skill= 1/2 relevant stat
Advanced skill, don't have the skill=can't do it.
Skill=relevant stat
Skill +10=relevant stat +10

degree of success: for every ten points you succeed on a skill check by, you get one degree of success.

Combat:

Everyone gets 1 action and 1 reaction

The action can be split into half actions.

Only one attack and one psychic power can be used per action. Using a psychic power also counts as an attack

A reaction is a dodge, a parry, or use of a reaction psychic power.

Semi auto fire: A full action attack. It gives +10 to hit and fires off as many bullets as the second fire rate listed. For every two degrees of success, an extra hit is counted, up to as many hits as bullets fired.
Example: an autogun has a fire rate of 1/3/10 so it can be fired single, semi auto or full auto. On semi auto it has a fire rate of 3.

Full auto: Like semi auto, but more lead in the air. It gives +20 to hit and an extra hit for every degree of success. The weapon in question must have a number in the third column for fire rate. The aforementioned autogun has a rate of 10.

Dodging and parrying: Dodging works of the Dodge basic skill. Parrying works off a Weapon Skill check. After being hit, a character had declare a reaction if they are aware of the attack. Dodging works against almost all attacks and parrying against melee attacks.

A success indicates the attack missed. If hit multiple times by the attack (say a full auto autogun) then only one hit is dodged. Extra degrees of success will negate an additional hit from the attack. So if hit 5 times by an autogun and the character rolls 3 degrees of success on the Dodge roll, he or she is only hit once.

Damage: Reverse the numbers on the to hit die to find which location is hit. The indicated weapon damage is rolled. Most melee weapons also add Strength Bonus to damage. The target's Toughness Bonus is subtracted from the damage. The Penetration value of the weapon is subtracted from the Armour value of the location. The remaining Armour value is subtracted from the damage. Whatever remains is the amount of damage the character takes.

If the damage takes the character into negative wounds, the results are checked against the appropriate critical hit table. Say a hit in the torso with a chainsword takes a character down to -2, then a 2 point Rending Critical is inflicted on the torso.. If 4 more points of damage are inflicted to the poor bastard's right leg, then a 6 point Rending Critical happens to the Right Leg.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Additionally, for psykers, the rules are as follows:

Every power has a threshold. You take your Willpower bonus + miscellaneous bonuses and then roll a number of d10s equal to or less than your Psychic Power rating (1 through 6). If the total of all of this is equal to or greater than the threshold, you fire off your psychic power.

However, for every 9 you roll, you get the joy of rolling on the Psychic Phenomenon chart, which ranges from everything around you freezing, people forgetting things, the walls bleeding, to a 25% chance of rolling on the other table, the Perils of the Warp table.

Hoo boy is the Perils of the Warp table fun. You can fall out of time for a round, you can switch bodies with the nearest being for a minute, you can summon up a random lesser daemon, and perhaps most horrific of all, there is a 9% on this table of being attacked by a daemon and having to make a willpower check at -30 or you will be possessed and an unbound daemonhost randomly created. Yes, there is a non-trivial chance that every time you use psychic powers you will become a team killing monstrosity that usually has Grey Knights deployed to take down.

This is why playing a psyker is so much fun!

Also, the critical hit tables are both brutal and hilarious, especially when you get really high up. They're also hazardous to people around them as they tend to cause massive, blinding sprays of arterial blood, cook off ammunition, or perhaps most hilariously of all, can cause the victim's head to explode and then they run around like a chicken on fire, igniting anything they run into along the way.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

LadyTevar wrote:What, we need to know the RULES to play? I thought that was just the GM's job. :wink:

I do not have the books, I am not planning on getting the books. I'm relying on Cyncat and the GM to keep me from being too much of an idjit.
Well, I mainly want the core book for the stats and char. creation. Reading the rules would be a bonus for using less time waiting for a reply back. :razz:
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Last night, after sessions of trouble free psychic power use, we had the fucking bonanza of 9s. Insanity points were distributed freely. A few Corruption points were dished out. Energy backlash followed by a Bloodletter materialization and those fucker die hard. A psyker almost became a daemonhost.

And they kicked much ass.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

WTF? I'm supposed to be getting email notifications of replies, grr....

Soontir948 check your pm's.
Which leads to this question, will I need the other two books or is the core just fine for this game?

Purge the Unclean
is just pre-made campaigns, we're doing one I'm making up. So no requirement for that.

The Inquisitor's Handbook has some extra career options and a crapload of weapons in it. It's a "nice to have".

Cynical Cat, you might find me picking your brain a bit, this will only be the second one I've run and my first one I've built myself.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Inquisitor's Handbook is great, for players and GM. It's got high quality dueling lases and craptastic zip guns and lots of flavorful stuff in between.

I have to highly recommend Disciples of the Dark Gods as a GM sourcebook.

Corporal, I am at your disposal.
Mercury01
Acolyte

Post by Mercury01 »

Cynical Cat wrote:(Rulez Gubbinz)
You forgot about Fate Points!

Fate points are one of my favorite parts of the game. You start off with just a few, sometimes you can get more, but it takes particularly good roleplaying or a generous DM for that. You spend fate points to:

Re-roll a failed test. The second roll stands.
Roll an automatic 10 for initiative.
Add a degree of success to a test.
Recover 1d5 wounds.
Recover from a Stun.

It says they are restored after each gaming session.... however long that is.

You can also choose to burn fate points in extreme situations that would otherwise mean death. You can do this even if all your fate points are spent. The fate point is gone permanently.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

So in an effort to make this more interesting then "drive a 1000kms to point A, shoot the crap out of generic heretic" I'm eyeing up Disciples of the Dark Gods, however The Radical's Handbook comes out tomorrow. I'm planning on grabbing one of the two, thoughts, opinions, preferences?
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:So in an effort to make this more interesting then "drive a 1000kms to point A, shoot the crap out of generic heretic" I'm eyeing up Disciples of the Dark Gods, however The Radical's Handbook comes out tomorrow. I'm planning on grabbing one of the two, thoughts, opinions, preferences?
I lust for The Radical's Handbook, because I already own Disciples of the Dark Gods. :razz:

On a more serious note, Disciples is fucking awesome as a GM tool. The Radical's Handbook is going to more in the vein of the Inquisitor's Handbook, except with Radical options. Now considering that Disciples already has the fun rules for sorcery, daemon summoning, and daemon weapons its not exactly hostile to the aspiring Radical as well as all sorts of different foes and quandaries to vex your players with.

Go with Disciples and wait on my review of The Radical's Handbook.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Cynical Cat wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:So in an effort to make this more interesting then "drive a 1000kms to point A, shoot the crap out of generic heretic" I'm eyeing up Disciples of the Dark Gods, however The Radical's Handbook comes out tomorrow. I'm planning on grabbing one of the two, thoughts, opinions, preferences?
I lust for The Radical's Handbook, because I already own Disciples of the Dark Gods. :razz:

On a more serious note, Disciples is fucking awesome as a GM tool. The Radical's Handbook is going to more in the vein of the Inquisitor's Handbook, except with Radical options. Now considering that Disciples already has the fun rules for sorcery, daemon summoning, and daemon weapons its not exactly hostile to the aspiring Radical as well as all sorts of different foes and quandaries to vex your players with.

Go with Disciples and wait on my review of The Radical's Handbook.
I wound up ordering Disciples, even though the Handbook is out today it's unavailable to order off Chapters. Guess they already sold out. Besides, daemon summoning sounds...entertaining.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

It's more likely that Fantasy Flight is late with the book. Their website says it isn't out yet and they have a habit of of delays. I automatically throw a couple months onto most of their release dates.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

The game thread is up, with the intro. Feel free to check in and met your party members on the Dominor, maybe fill in how you got there. fgalkin is free to join in at any time.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Posted it up there. What do you think? Too crazy? While he hasn't picked up any actual debilitating phobias, compulsions, or paranoid delusions (yet), Serghar is highly superstitous and pretty unhinged so it feels about right.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

:lol: Nah, crazy is good.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

So this Emperor's Tarot, what is it? I mean the page on Lexicanum isn't all that informative.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:So this Emperor's Tarot, what is it? I mean the page on Lexicanum isn't all that informative.
1) Lady T isn't using it.

2) It's a tarot style deck with 40K style cards like the Hierophant, Xeno Horrificus, and the Arch-Heretic. They're actually blank on one side and layered with psychoactive crystals. They're used as a divining tool. You cast the deck and tap the warp and the appropriate images appear. Keep in mind:

1) Divination is hard

2) The answers are in the form of open to interpretation symbolic images.

3) They only show one possible future.

So compared to farseeing, for example, it blows.
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.