Order of the Stick Comment thread 611 and counting.

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Bitch had it coming.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

is it just me, or does the GitP server suck more donkey balls than usual?

I mean, seriously.

I can barely pull up a old comic, much less the new ones lately.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Dark Silver wrote:is it just me, or does the GitP server suck more donkey balls than usual?

I mean, seriously.

I can barely pull up a old comic, much less the new ones lately.
It's not just you. This is one reason I don't post there any more. The other being the weird priorities in moderation (see previous rant). :???:

New comic, incidentally: 649

Oh, and the cast page got updated too: link.
Last edited by The Minx on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

*DIES LAUGHING*
Now that is just fuckin' hilarious.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Now taking bets. Will Vaarsuvius' soul meld run out right before its power can be brought to bear on Xykon? :grin:
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

You know I'm actually betting that it doesn't matter, he's facing Xykon, who's epic level and Redcloak who is pretty damn near close together with an army of flunkies.

He could take the flunkies. He could take Redcloak. Hell maybe he could even take Xykon.

All at once? Alone?

I bet not.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Link: 651 :smile:

V is going to be defeated one way or another, since this is not the end of the story. I doubt that the story's main villain would go down just like that...

Of course, I could be mistaken - it could be that V is set to replace X as Redcloak's ally (he might fall for the temptation of more total absolute power the Snarl could bring) but I find that very, very unlikely. Major villains just don't go out that easily.

With exceptions: link. Though she was hardly a "major" villain (she just worked for one).
Last edited by The Minx on Wed May 06, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Xykon's a lich. He can die and come back. In fact, he already has.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Cynical Cat wrote:Xykon's a lich. He can die and come back. In fact, he already has.
But Redcloak is carrying his phylactery. It's not in a secure location. :/
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The Minx wrote:
Cynical Cat wrote:Xykon's a lich. He can die and come back. In fact, he already has.
But Redcloak is carrying his phylactery. It's not in a secure location. :/
So? The phylactery is tough. Even if Redcloak bites it, the phylactery will probably survive. V doesn't know where it is.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Cynical Cat wrote:So? The phylactery is tough. Even if Redcloak bites it, the phylactery will probably survive. V doesn't know where it is.
V knows about phylacteries now, and is not just going to ignore the problem of finding it. Those epic level mages should give him the power he needs to detect it if he casts a divination to figure out where it is if he manages to defeat both X and R.

Nonetheless, I doubt X is going to be destroyed here. Storytelling reasons - something is going to prevent this from ending right now.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The Minx wrote:
Cynical Cat wrote:So? The phylactery is tough. Even if Redcloak bites it, the phylactery will probably survive. V doesn't know where it is.
V knows about phylacteries now, and is not just going to ignore the problem of finding it. Those epic level mages should give him the power he needs to detect it if he casts a divination to figure out where it is if he manages to defeat both X and R.

Nonetheless, I doubt X is going to be destroyed here. Storytelling reasons - something is going to prevent this from ending right now.
Death doesn't destroy Xykon. And those mages are as much a distraction as an aide. Even in V wins, he hasn't won.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Cynical Cat wrote:
The Minx wrote:

Death doesn't destroy Xykon. And those mages are as much a distraction as an aide. Even in V wins, he hasn't won.
Of course death doesn't destroy Xykon. That doesn't change the fact that V knows that he needs to destroy the phylactery, and the mages are his to command. :)

As for whether it is even relevant... do we even know that Xykon is going to be defeated by V in the first place? He has already demonstrated that he can defeat an Epic level wizard, and those soul splices aren't unbreakable.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

His to command, until someone verbally bitchslaps that arrogant elf ass and concentration is shattered. Then you've got two incredibly powerful souls who only need a body to inhabit in order to cause havoc on the world once more.

Oh, hey, look at that. An epic level necromancer in a city FILLED with corpses. Whatever shall he do?
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

The new OOTS is up, in which we see the difference between "power" and power.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Just two chumps who didn't have the balls to stay in the game. Damn he calls it harsh but true sometimes don't he?
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

he does, but he calls it like he sees it.

And he has a point, if they were evil mages worth their salt, they would have avoided the Hells like the firey Pits of Hell that they are.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Reminds me of the Lasombra mockery of the Giovanni's mastery of the spirits of the deceased. "If they were good at what they did, they wouldn't be dead in the first place."
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Cynical Cat wrote:Reminds me of the Lasombra mockery of the Giovanni's mastery of the spirits of the deceased. "If they were good at what they did, they wouldn't be dead in the first place."
I was reminded of that also. :)

The fact that energy drains hit both of the mages at once is important. Also, it seems that V uses his own skill checks and each mage uses their own spell-casting powers separately. Which is bad news for V, since this suggests that the levels don't stack for ECL purposes. This changes everything.

BTW, this means that Haerta Bloodsoak cast "Familicide" by herself. :shock:

Rules geekery:

Xykon can cast Maximized Energy Drain. So, he can use 12th level spell slots. Therefore, he has the Improved Spell Capacity feat in addition to his Epic Spellcasting feat. Therefore, he is at least 26th level. Assuming Rich is going by the book, which he probably isn't.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Unless he used Sudden Maximize or a has a metamagic rod/equivalent goodie stashed on his person. Then it's a 9th level slot.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Cynical Cat wrote:Unless he used Sudden Maximize or a has a metamagic rod/equivalent goodie stashed on his person. Then it's a 9th level slot.
Might be.

Though, they don't really seem to use that many magic items in that comic. At least not overtly. :/

BTW, I just realized that Jaephthon (or whatever he's called) may be down to 12th effective level by now - since he just lost his Epic spellcasting before Xykon cast Maximized Energy Drain (which scrubbed 8 levels). V is in some serious trouble. One would have thought that he would have buffed himself against necromantic spells - especially energy drains - before going against someone like Xykon, but I guess overconfidence is his hallmark.
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

You know, the really amazing thing is that Xykon has apparently never run into anyone with the foresight to cast death ward before engaging him. It would shut his favorite anti-caster tactic down cold.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Rogue 9 wrote:You know, the really amazing thing is that Xykon has apparently never run into anyone with the foresight to cast death ward before engaging him. It would shut his favorite anti-caster tactic down cold.
Not really. It's his favorite anti-arcane caster spell, but arcane casters don't get Death Ward, which has a limited duration. Almost all of his arcane caster fights tend to be one on one duels. He tends to use different tricks with divine casters, like his Symbol of Insanity paladin smash.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Keep in mind the two fights we've seen with this have been against people who were mentally and emotionally distraught.

V should have brought some beefed up divine casters for this dance. As it is he's way out of his league. His levels having failed to keep up with his ego. A common failing amongst wizard players.
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Indeed. Anyway, it sucks to be V. New comic.