His Majesty's Dragons

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

*drums fingers on the desk* Any sign of progress?
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

Post by Avian Obscurities »

/points @ Havoc

He's been suuuper busy
I accidentally all the Brujah.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Frostfell was wearing his armour. Donning it is buried a page or two back. Also there is no way Frostfell's wings don't have enough reach to interfere with the Jotun's own wings. Draconic wingspan is huge, if the silhouettes at the wiki are anything close to accurate, and that should give Frostfell enough reach to mess with some of the Jotun's flapping.
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Frostfell's wings have the length to reach Ragnarok's wings, sure, but only with the last third or so of them. Ragnarok's wings are considerably stronger than Frostfell's anyway, and there's no way he can meaningfully interfere with them using only the ends of his wings while simultaneously trying to keep his body and throat away from Ragnarok by main force. I'll adjust the post to make this more clear, but my point was that it was Frostfell's added weight and the fact that dragon's can't fly upside down that dragged Ragnarok towards the Earth, not Frostfell's wings.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Sure the weight, the damage Frostfell has already done to the wings, and the upside matter the most, but Ragnarok's wing's don't flap in a static position. They go up and down to push air and generate lift and in this case down is towards Frostfell. Over the half of their beats that they're far away from Frostfell, his ability to interfere is quite limited, but the half that they're going towards him, they're quite vulnerable to being fouled which means that Ragnarok can only generate much lift over half the range of his normal wingbeat. You add that to the rest and . . . .

Note that this is just using his wings, since the rest of Frostfell is busy trying to minimize rending.
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

Cynical Cat wrote:Sure the weight, the damage Frostfell has already done to the wings, and the upside matter the most, but Ragnarok's wing's don't flap in a static position. They go up and down to push air and generate lift and in this case down is towards Frostfell. Over the half of their beats that they're far away from Frostfell, his ability to interfere is quite limited, but the half that they're going towards him, they're quite vulnerable to being fouled which means that Ragnarok can only generate much lift over half the range of his normal wingbeat. You add that to the rest and . . . .

Note that this is just using his wings, since the rest of Frostfell is busy trying to minimize rending.
Technically, the flapping doesnt generate lift, the flapping generates THRUST. The structure of the wings generates lift all on its own, so long as the dragon is moving forward in the air. A hovering dragon would rely on wings for lift, but I think it has already been established that dragons cannot hover, or at least for anything longer than a wingbeat or two.

Once the wings have reached the bottom of their flap, when they would be within reach of Frostfell's, I dont think theres much he can do to interfere with them because their job is DONE. The bottom of the flap is the bottom of the thrust. The wing then folds up and snaps back up to the top of the arc to repeat the move.

However, frostfells frantic flapping and thrashing will cause a lot of TURBULENCE, which will interfere with Rag's ability to generate lift and thrust.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

*Has his heart somewhere up near his throat as he heads into the HMD thread, reads through Frostfell, reads through Jebediah, notices it ends.*

Teasing son of a bitch...

:razz: :razz:
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Avian Obscurities wrote:
Once the wings have reached the bottom of their flap, when they would be within reach of Frostfell's, I dont think theres much he can do to interfere with them because their job is DONE. The bottom of the flap is the bottom of the thrust. The wing then folds up and snaps back up to the top of the arc to repeat the move.
Except Ragnarok is upside down, so the bottom is the top.
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

Ah, ok, lost that. Well he wont generate thrust fly flapping upside down, the wing doesnt bend properly to do that. Near as I can assume hed just be flailing around trying to stabilize himself?
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Avian Obscurities wrote:Ah, ok, lost that. Well he wont generate thrust fly flapping upside down, the wing doesnt bend properly to do that. Near as I can assume hed just be flailing around trying to stabilize himself?
More likely plummet slowly instead of a quickly. It occurs to me this argument is at least slightly ridiculous, arguing the flight physics of creatures that shouldn't be able to fly.
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

hahahahhha, iiis true ;D
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I'm wondering if Frostfell would be able to fly 'back to base' with his wing that badly damaged.

However, he COULD try to get that Bavarian who smacked into Kunja... he was still on the ground recovering and probably hasn't got airborne yet...

As for Jeb and Judith... I -did- mention Judith was watching the Leuchtkaffer just for this very reason. Time to make it int'restin'.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

I'm wondering if Frostfell would be able to fly 'back to base' with his wing that badly damaged.
I vote yes. (Realistically, probably not, with the integrity of the airfoil destroyed. But whatever keeps the dragons flying in the first place would probably offset it ;p) He will have to glide more than flap and really compensate for the lop-sided lift. It's like a plane losing one engine; it can still fly, just with careful manipulation of the flaps. FF's a smart cookie, hell figure it out.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Either way... I hope Jebediah's plan works. Oldest trick in the book... Don't Be Where They're Targetting.

But the idea is Jeb's not barrel-rolling in a straight line.. it's an / angle with a downward surge for a touch of speed, hopefully turning into his own dive on the overshot dragon.

It was either that or doing Jeb's Split-S: a sudden downwards body-fold followed by a twist of the body that puts him facing back the way he came.

ALthough now that I think about it, Jeb also could have simply folded and 'followed him down', matching speeds with the Leuchtkaffer so Judith could take potshots at him.

See, Havoc? This is what happens when you're not online to hash this stuff out with me!

Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

I know! wheres he at? its like he has a life or something. Thats so unlike him....
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Avian Obscurities wrote:I know! wheres he at? its like he has a life or something. Thats so unlike him....
Have I mentioned recently that I hate you all? I should do that more often... :wink:

As to the wing, my intention narratively (which in this game trumps biology because otherwise none of you can fly) was that Frostfell can still fly a bit, just not very well and not very fast. He has SOME lift on his right wing, as dragons have three different "sails" on each wing (inner, central, and outer), and the central one alone was affected by the tear. The central one is the largest on Asio-American dragons (the inner one is on Afro-European dragons), but he has his other wing and can get clever with wind currents and gliding. He's not going to be winning any speed records right now (maneuverability shouldn't be TOO badly affected though, as that's more a matter of flexibility and aerobatic-skill than raw power). On the prosaic side, that kind of an injury is going to hurt like hell. I do not of course expect Frostfell to go catatonic with pain, but he will certainly be noticing it (which of course, knowing him, might just piss him off a whole lot). I would also advise he not stay up in the air for too much longer due to the risks of blood loss. His wing-membrane (which is of course not a membrane but I have no damned idea what the technical term is for it) is in shreds.

On the plus side, the Jotun cannot get at him from where he is without a long turn and a bout of catchup, so the ball's really in his court.
Last edited by General Havoc on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

I would personally, have liked to go back at the Jotun.....

but seeing as havoc never responded to the earlier post where Hermeticus decided to start getting mad and rip into a smaller German....I have no clue wha he's doing..
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Frostfell's cranky and wants to kill something instead of cocky and wanting to kill something while showing off. I can't think of a clearer sign of him being in pain. :wink:
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Cynical Cat wrote:Frostfell's cranky and wants to kill something instead of cocky and wanting to kill something while showing off. I can't think of a clearer sign of him being in pain. :wink:
....... There's a difference?

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Clearly you are not a student of Frostfell's moods. He almost always wants to kill things. When he's looking to maim nearly helpless enemies, he's in a bad mood. When he wants to play/hunt, he's in a good mood. When he wants to bag something impressive, he's in an adventurous mood.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Practical effects of these various moods may be somewhat similar... ;)

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

General Havoc wrote:Practical effects of these various moods may be somewhat similar... ;)
Actually, Frostfell is much more prone to violence when he's cranky and in pain. The whole "I will do nothing now, but plan a cunning and terrible revenge and await an opportunity to enact it" and "this is the bleating of sheep, not anything worthy of the effort and trouble" subroutines tend to not get accessed in favor of the "maim him and make him suffer" main program. :wink:
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Well at least Frostfell has subroutines. That's more than you can say for Kunja.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

IRWriter86: Plan A) Whatever the plan is at the time. Plan B) Blow everything up. Plan C) Run away!
genhavoc: Plan B will be, if nothing else, completely unexpected
genhavoc: Nobody uses stick grenades in a grapple except crazy men.
genhavoc: ... and Australians.
genhavoc: ... and Irish.
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

well tomorrow IS st. patties! :D