Knights of the Old Republic Game

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Charon wrote:You guys were just as threatening to him as he was to you, he had little reason to follow after you and expect to live, but his chances would have been slightly better.

I don't think he's upset over dying because he was surrounded though. I think he's upset because communication between player and GM was not clear and that aided in his death.
Hell, he didn't even have to follow us, there were other ways to run, I mean, he did have a laser sword that can cut through most materials with relative ease. All sorts of new pathways open up with that.

And I'm sorry, it should have been painfully clear that one person vs. even 8 battle droids in a stand up fight in the open should have ended poorly unless they were a fully trained Jedi or Sith. Especially with existing wounds and being left all alone. That way lies death.

Edit: And for the record Havoc, while your character might not have known the difference between a lethal and a non-lethal grenade, they do exist, and for good reason, both for function (delivery systems differ) and utility. When you carry multiple grenades, you don't want the frag, smoke, and incindiary to all feel the same to the touch, so having different shapes helps with that. You still might not know the difference, but it is there, just FYI.
Last edited by Hotfoot on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Oh I've no doubt they exist Hotfoot, in fact I'm sure of it, but there was no way in the heat of battle that my character would be able to know that. And you're correct. One person vs. however many droids were left was just not gonna happen. Death was the logical outcome there. I don't object to that.

I object to the notion that I was somehow abusing the game rules by doing what the GM told me I could do.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Whatever man, it's a minor point. You're just as dead if you tossed around one droid as five, so who cares? You still get shot down like a dog either way, so going back and forth over this trivial stuff is just useless. The character is dead, you played him into the ground, move on. Getting combative with the GM and accusing him that you died because of any other reason than your own actions in lunacy.

And yes, that's exactly how you came off. That were it not for the GM call about your powers, you would have survived. We all know that's not true, so let's go back to our corners, cool off, and if you want to make another character, even a Sith again, by all means, go ahead.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

*Takes a long, deep breath*

You're very right. It doesn't matter at this point. The character would be dead in either case. It does no good to get hostile about it. I apologize.

I merely am going to suggest that in the future, people be more overt about what the boundaries of permissible character behavior are, as I thought I was well within those bounds, yes, even with the warnings that were given OOC about Jedi needing to tone it down. Perhaps I'm just particularly thick.
Last edited by General Havoc on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

General Havoc wrote:*Takes a long, deep breath*

You're very right. It doesn't matter at this point. The character would be dead in either case. It does no good to get hostile about it. I apologize.

I merely am going to suggest that in the future, people be more overt about what the boundaries of permissible character behavior are, as I thought I was well within those bounds, yes, even with the warnings that were given OOC about Jedi needing to tone it down. Perhaps I'm just particularly thick, I don't know...
Put it this way, I make extra sure about spatial arrangements and what the limits of my powers are before I post so that I am sure that even if I dont succeed, I dont leave myself exposed to fire from multiple angles etc...

I literally work out the sensibility of each post with CynCat because the way I fight I need to know the spatial arrangments of cover, and I also dont actually know the hard limits on Asarak's power, while the GM does.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I do believe our kindly GM is telling us we should run the fuck away.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:I do believe our kindly GM is telling us we should run the fuck away.
Hehe. The Greeks referred to the Furies as "the kindly ones" to avoid a perceived insult and drawing their wrath. I'm sure that this is just coincidence. :wink:
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

frigidmagi wrote:I do believe our kindly GM is telling us we should run the fuck away.
You're the Marine, Frigid... post a good "strategic retreat" post and get everyone on the lift.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

So, I'm not seeing any posting. Should I take this to mean you guys are just going to stand there and get shot at? I can roll that way if you want. :lol:
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

*mutters* I gotta do everything.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

sorry about not posting, I was in Baltimore from saturday morning until late last night. I will post today.
The Peddler of Half Truths.
"Not OP, therefore weakest." - Cynical Cat (May 2016)
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Heading out to a friend's tonight. Will post in game once I get back, probably midnight Pacific time.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

*reads Marcao's post*

:thewall: :thewall: :thewall:

IT HURTS! IT HURTS! IT HURTS!

I'm not trying to insult you man but geeze!

Marcao your attempts at professional soldier fucking hurt like hell. You cannot be the anchor of the fighting retreat unless you are willing to provide covering fire. You cannot provide covering fire if you're sticking your nose firmly up in the air and refusing to shot unless you have a gold plated good shot. Open up like blaster bolts are going out of style yo.

Let me provide examples:

Example One: While on patrol a platoon (in marinespeak a platoon is a number of marines not less then 3 squads of 12-13 marines plus lead staff.call it 40 to 42 persons) is fired upon by a sniper. One Marine goes down. The platoon scatters to cover and locates the sniper.

They have two objectives and several choices

Objectives

A: recuse the shot Marine. We're the USMC not the bloody French army. We don't leave our own behind and if anybody doesn't like that they're welcome to try and stop us.

B: Kill the sniper. Marines don't like being shot at. It bruises our tender and delicate sensibilities. So yeah, that bastard gotta die.

If pressed for time or something, they may just grab their boy and go. Now they can try wide flanking maneuvers which will devour time and energy and lead to possible engagements with other forces or they can advance under cover. Cover in this case being high speed lead. I'll quote the nasty ill tempered Staff Sgt who trained me (he predicated I would be a bullet sponge, well fuck you Staff Sgt, 4 years and no holes, go to hell.)

"Empty your fucking magazines at that goddamn building you shit eating morons"

You don't try to aim for the sniper, he's hiding behind a fucking building! You open up to make the bastard duck down and not kill the poor assholes advancing to get the unlucky ass who was shot or break into said building and kill the sniper.

Next Example:

Your platoon turns a corner and runs into an enemy company (which is at least 4 platoons. You're outnumbered 4 to 1). You don't stop for a gun fight... They have 4 times the guns you do! And most companies have their own arty! And they likely have more friends coming! Time to pull back and scream for more Marines, get the numbers down to an equal thing like 2 to 1. That's fair. Or better yet 1 to 1 or wonders of wonders outnumbering your enemy (has never happened to me)... Cause fair fights are for suckers. You can get killed that way.

One does not try to aim shots in this situation. You will be fleeing from cover to cover and covering your buddies escape with more manufactured cover, that high speed lead stuff I was talking about earlier.

Half the time you'll not even be looking, just sticking the rifle out around the corner or over the edge and pulling back on the trigger. Trust me when there is high speed metal/energy/whatfuckingever, everyone and their mother ducks. There's even a name for this.... Baghdad spray. Go on, guess why it's called that.

Our situation is most comparable to example two, we're being hit by superior numbers and firepower. We need to throw out as much fire as possible to keep them back and do as much damage as possible. Yes the droids likely won't duck or run, but that just makes it easier to hit them.

Spray and Pray Man. This time it's the professional thing to do.

*at some point we need to have a long talk about this stuff if you're going to insist on playing professional troops, drop me a PM alright?*
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Hotfoot, CT. Leg wounds make people docile. Don't give me ideas. Just stay in the damn cage.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

frigidmagi wrote:Hotfoot, CT. Leg wounds make people docile. Don't give me ideas. Just stay in the damn cage.
I am, I am in the lift, pressed up to get as much cover as I can, and shooting at the droids. What, you want me to sit there and press buttons while we're getting shot at?
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

frigidmagi wrote:*reads Marcao's post*

:thewall: :thewall: :thewall:

IT HURTS! IT HURTS! IT HURTS!

I'm not trying to insult you man but geeze!

Marcao your attempts at professional soldier fucking hurt like hell. You cannot be the anchor of the fighting retreat unless you are willing to provide covering fire. You cannot provide covering fire if you're sticking your nose firmly up in the air and refusing to shot unless you have a gold plated good shot. Open up like blaster bolts are going out of style yo.
I am not trying to be a "professional" soldier. Read the write up on the Mandalorians in the source material for the Saga edition game. Traditional mandalorian armies are not the fucking US marines okay? They are collections of individual warriors who follow other more established/renowned warriors by reputation. There is no unit structure persay. Secondly, If you want to shoot through the fucking cloud for shits and giggles you are more than welcome to. My character is not willing to waste ammo (even if he has oodles of it) and give away his overall position through the concealment grenade effects. Everything is laid out on the post, his thought process and everything else. I try to be transparent wherever I can.
frigidmagi wrote:
Let me provide examples:

Example One: While on patrol a platoon (in marinespeak a platoon is a number of marines not less then 3 squads of 12-13 marines plus lead staff.call it 40 to 42 persons) is fired upon by a sniper. One Marine goes down. The platoon scatters to cover and locates the sniper.

They have two objectives and several choices

Objectives

A: recuse the shot Marine. We're the USMC not the bloody French army. We don't leave our own behind and if anybody doesn't like that they're welcome to try and stop us.

B: Kill the sniper. Marines don't like being shot at. It bruises our tender and delicate sensibilities. So yeah, that bastard gotta die.

If pressed for time or something, they may just grab their boy and go. Now they can try wide flanking maneuvers which will devour time and energy and lead to possible engagements with other forces or they can advance under cover. Cover in this case being high speed lead. I'll quote the nasty ill tempered Staff Sgt who trained me (he predicated I would be a bullet sponge, well fuck you Staff Sgt, 4 years and no holes, go to hell.)

"Empty your fucking magazines at that goddamn building you shit eating morons"

You don't try to aim for the sniper, he's hiding behind a fucking building! You open up to make the bastard duck down and not kill the poor assholes advancing to get the unlucky ass who was shot or break into said building and kill the sniper.

Next Example:

Your platoon turns a corner and runs into an enemy company (which is at least 4 platoons. You're outnumbered 4 to 1). You don't stop for a gun fight... They have 4 times the guns you do! And most companies have their own arty! And they likely have more friends coming! Time to pull back and scream for more Marines, get the numbers down to an equal thing like 2 to 1. That's fair. Or better yet 1 to 1 or wonders of wonders outnumbering your enemy (has never happened to me)... Cause fair fights are for suckers. You can get killed that way.

One does not try to aim shots in this situation. You will be fleeing from cover to cover and covering your buddies escape with more manufactured cover, that high speed lead stuff I was talking about earlier.

Half the time you'll not even be looking, just sticking the rifle out around the corner or over the edge and pulling back on the trigger. Trust me when there is high speed metal/energy/whatfuckingever, everyone and their mother ducks. There's even a name for this.... Baghdad spray. Go on, guess why it's called that.

Our situation is most comparable to example two, we're being hit by superior numbers and firepower. We need to throw out as much fire as possible to keep them back and do as much damage as possible. Yes the droids likely won't duck or run, but that just makes it easier to hit them.

Spray and Pray Man. This time it's the professional thing to do.

*at some point we need to have a long talk about this stuff if you're going to insist on playing professional troops, drop me a PM alright?*
Useful examples no doubt. I don't want to disparage your experience as you clearly have more real life experience than I do but this game does not mimic real life as closely as you think. Ultimately, I don't feel an edit to my post is warranted. I am not trying to play the littlest marine, I am playing a character and more or less this is what he would do. Apologies if that upsets you. :(
The Peddler of Half Truths.
"Not OP, therefore weakest." - Cynical Cat (May 2016)
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Marcao wrote:
They are collections of individual warriors who follow other more established/renowned warriors by reputation. There is no unit structure persay.(
This right here is bullshit. Mandalorians have leaders and units. That the composition of said units tends to be flexible and based around the idea of a number of skilled individuals working together and more subject to being reordered as per the needs of the campaign than in most other militaries and that there rank system is highly meritocratic doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Squads existed, they had leaders as did starfighter squadrons, companies, and capital ships. There was jostling and competition for position when away from combat, but the lines of command were clear when combat occurred.

You don't have to play your character the way frigid wants him played, even if it causes him pain the way you violate doctrine and procedures. Do keep in mind he's trying to help you. The "storm of lead" maneuver is not unique to the US Marines nor is it exactly a closely guarded secret. In these situations blasters have the advantages of turning the terrain in shrapnel bombs (admittedly this doesn't help much against heavily armoured droids) and having a huge ammo supply.
Angelod
Acolyte

Post by Angelod »

Alright, I've got my eyes on this thread again. I eagerly await you guys getting to a convenient point to drop me in. ^^
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

How enclosed are the cages? AS are the walls solid or are we literally talking about a lift cage? I ask because that will determine what I do with The Force.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:How enclosed are the cages? AS are the walls solid or are we literally talking about a lift cage? I ask because that will determine what I do with The Force.
When I said cage I meant cage. Nice mesh work of bars trapping you all like ducks in a pond, no that's not it, pickles in a barrel, not that's not it either . . . ah fish. Fish in a barrel. And no one is hitting the up button. What will my death droids do to such a huddled mass of immobile targets hmmm?
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Well, the mind trick was worth a shot...
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:Well, the mind trick was worth a shot...
Well, since you specifically posted that you were just using telepathy and not doing the mind trick.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Is there anything I could do to help them?

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Cynical Cat wrote:
Comrade Tortoise wrote:Well, the mind trick was worth a shot...
Well, since you specifically posted that you were just using telepathy and not doing the mind trick.
Yeah, it looks like my fingers missed a word in the sentence. I had not intended that to be the case. But Mea culpa.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The Mining Police are the company's security force so they include little things like the patrols on the streets, the star fighters, and the air defence turrets.

Have fun.