Order of the Stick Comment thread 611 and counting.

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Where the holy hell did THAT come from? o_0
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I have a very bad feeling we know that dragon.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Oh... Shit.

Okay I'm seeing some bad options here.

A: Someone brought back a certain Dragon who appeared in strips 182 to 186. Dragons don't have much of a sense of humor regarding their deaths caused by... Anything. It's going to be a long day.

B: Mommy/Daddy dropped by Jr's for a visit (According to 187 it was a Young Adult remember) found Jr to be a pile of fracken ash and did some magical legwork. S/He would like to discuss certain spells cast by V that resulted in Dragonic fatalities. It's going to be a long day.

C: V somehow knows and has pissed off a completely unrelated Black Dragon who has finally tracked down for a talk. It's going to be a long day.

D: V has snapped and is seeing/hearing things. It's going to be a long day.

Place your bets.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Option A, I think.

The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

The black dragon who was killed by V had green eyes and straight horns. This one has red eyes, curly horns and is quite a lot bigger too. [see old dragon]. Not only that, but V concluded that the green-eyed dragon was not the one who brought the starmetal to the cave it lived in [here]

I'm thinking option B. This is Big Mama (or Big Papa), who left the Young Adult dragon with some stash to get him going, learned of his demise, learned how it happened, and has been biding her time all this while.

So, it will be a long day indeed. Or a long <insert whichever time span is required>

Also, V must have gotten pretty powerful, slinging out no less than four Disintigrate spells like that. I figure an Int 24+ (including a Headband of Intellect) to get the daily 7th level bonus spell, and level 16+ for the three basic 7th level spells *

* Unless Rich has revised Disintigrate to be an Evocation, in which case V would only have to be level 14+, and he's using the daily bonus spell from his specialization for it.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

V does has a ring of wizardary and that headband ups his INT which would give him bonus spells. Just as a note there.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

frigidmagi wrote:V does has a ring of wizardary and that headband ups his INT which would give him bonus spells. Just as a note there.
Yup, the bonus from the headband was included in my calcs. :wink:

As for Ring of Wizardry, that would have to be a custom job to affect Disintigrate, since the best ones usually affect only 4th level spells. Maybe some obscure feat or other?

Anyway, since he was at least 13th level at the Battle of Azure City (remember the enlarged soldiers), it's not that far-fetched that he's 14th level or 16th level by now.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

And that damn brilliant motherBITCH of a Dragon rendered all that irrelevant!

Just a pointed ear monkey indeed.

I hope V's still alive...
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Couldn't be option A, even before now. Eyes are a different color, and the dragon is significantly larger; resurrecting the one killed earlier wouldn't raise it by several age categories. I'm betting on it being the earlier dragon's mother, who you may recall insisted that the dragon learn to speak Lizard. :razz:

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Anti-Magic Field.

Ouch.

The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

Not so good... :eek:
Sometime monkey fall from tree.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Rogue 9 wrote:Couldn't be option A, even before now. Eyes are a different color, and the dragon is significantly larger; resurrecting the one killed earlier wouldn't raise it by several age categories. I'm betting on it being the earlier dragon's mother, who you may recall insisted that the dragon learn to speak Lizard. :razz:
I seem to have posted the same conclusion... four posts above yours. :razz:
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

I had a sneaking suspicion that's where this was headed.

The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

[Elan]Dun dun dunn!!![/Elan]

What? It had to be said.
Sometime monkey fall from tree.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Rich did say in the afterword of Dungeon Crawling Fools that we would be seeing V's family at some point. I was re-reading that only the day before yesterday. I guess I should be kicking myself at this stage for not realizing what the Dragon's plan was.

PS: Big Mama = win.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

YES! Sweet justice! I love long-running consequences to player action.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

You know... I hate to say it, but...

Go dragon!

Seriously, casual murder of NPCs should have consequences.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I wouldn't call it a casual murder Havoc. The dragon had made it pretty clear that it intended to eat V's friends and party members and had in attempted to eat V. So no, there wasn't nothing casual about it.

Nor would I call the slaughter of V's children justice. Justice does not involve the wholesale killing of people who did nothing to you just because of who their father/mother is. V's children have done no wrong here and do not deserve to be killed by an angry dragon. This is the kind of thinking that drives vendettas like those that spasm across the Balkins and the Middle East in our world.

This is just some really dirty revenge being taken by an evil aligned character and it shows.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Castle doctrine? The OOTS, an armed party, marched into the dragon's lair and combat ensued. The dragon was defending its home.

Point on the nature of the revenge, though. This is a case of a villain with valid motivations behind the villainy. Still a villain, still a valid grudge.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Castle doctrine? The OOTS, an armed party, marched into the dragon's lair and combat ensued. The dragon was defending its home.
While the Young Dragon didn't know it, the order had no idea that there was a dragon on top of that star metal.

Also the lair itself was not marked as a habitation. So this is less me breaking into your house and being shot dead then me wondering into a clearing in the woods and you shooting me for being on your land.

In all honesty I don't think talking to the dragon would have changed anything (Roy wants the metal, the dragon is evil and has it, therefore the party feels perfectly okay in taking it), nor do I think Mom open to counterarguments.
This is a case of a villain with valid motivations behind the villainy. Still a villain, still a valid grudge.
Oh yes the grudge is very valid. While V had said dragon in thrall he could have set up any number of solutions that didn't end up in a dead dragon. He chose not to.

However having a valid compliant doesn't give you open license to do whatever you want. The Dragon's proposed plan is evil and unjust, but then this is an EVIL Dragon we're talking about so I'm not shocked.

I'm just going to think that this world and V's world could use a bald ranger with a preference to be known by the job. (cookie for reference)
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"Sexy shoeless God of war"
I want Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Anyway ... it's a good villianous plot, it makes perfect sense from a draconic point of view, and it's going to let us see V's family. Although I doubt we'll find out if V is their mom or their dad. :roll: :twisted:

The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

frigidmagi wrote:While the Young Dragon didn't know it, the order had no idea that there was a dragon on top of that star metal.

Also the lair itself was not marked as a habitation. So this is less me breaking into your house and being shot dead then me wondering into a clearing in the woods and you shooting me for being on your land.

In all honesty I don't think talking to the dragon would have changed anything (Roy wants the metal, the dragon is evil and has it, therefore the party feels perfectly okay in taking it), nor do I think Mom open to counterarguments.
Well, to be fair to the dragon, once they had the dragon under the Suggestion spell (a full night I believe), that excuse kind of goes out the window, like you point out below. This is more like you wandering through a clearing in the woods, seeing me (not realizing you were entering my home), we start fighting (since I see you as an invader), you subdue me, and the following morning you shoot me in the head.

frigidmagi wrote:Oh yes the grudge is very valid. While V had said dragon in thrall he could have set up any number of solutions that didn't end up in a dead dragon. He chose not to.

However having a valid compliant doesn't give you open license to do whatever you want. The Dragon's proposed plan is evil and unjust, but then this is an EVIL Dragon we're talking about so I'm not shocked.
Of course it is an evil dragon, and of course the plan is unjust (even if it is poetic). If she were simply trying to kill V she might have a case, killing the children is something else. :smile:
Last edited by The Minx on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

LadyTevar wrote:Anyway ... it's a good villianous plot, it makes perfect sense from a draconic point of view, and it's going to let us see V's family. Although I doubt we'll find out if V is their mom or their dad. :roll: :twisted:
The mate may well be as androgynous as V is. :lol:
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

It just wouldn't be order of the stick if V's mate had a defined gender I think.
Minx wrote:This is more like you wandering through a clearing in the woods, seeing me (not realizing you were entering my home), we start fighting (since I see you as an invader), you subdue me, and the following morning you shoot me in the head.
Yeah... It is more like that. Point to you.
Minx wrote:Course it is an evil dragon, and of course the plan is unjust (even if it is poetic).
It is that.

someone who isn't getting a cookie wrote:"Sexy shoeless God of war"
I want Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Belkar still goes by his name has primary choice of identification. Also he has hair. I specifically said bald. Also the guy I'm thinking of is a human who doesn't tell people his real name... Unless the fairy promises him a half hour of silence (sooo many hints here).

Basically...

Right class.
Wrong race.
Wrong series.

No cookie for poor, poor cookieless Tev.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

frigidmagi wrote:Belkar still goes by his name has primary choice of identification. Also he has hair. I specifically said bald. Also the guy I'm thinking of is a human who doesn't tell people his real name... Unless the fairy promises him a half hour of silence (sooo many hints here).

Basically...

Right class.
Wrong race.
Wrong series.

No cookie for poor, poor cookieless Tev.
This is very puzzling. :???: I suspect I have never heard of this character before.