Vampire: A City by the Sea

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

Charon wrote:When Ottar arrived, Gudrun and Olaf were both waiting with a contingent of jarls who fought for them, all of them old and battle-tested ghouls. Olaf was weaving the tale of one of Thorkell's exploits in the North, where he single-handedly burned down the hall of a rival lord who had turned to Christianty. Gudrun had opted for her larger waraxe while Olaf had little more than a spear and shield for weapons. Gudrun looked to Ottar as he closed. "Ah, Ottar! About time you arrived! We still wait on the others!"
"I see I overestimated my haste. At least the rest of the lot are making me look good." Ottar says with a smile, or perhaps more of a grin.
"What do you suppose our enemy is thinking? Could they really think us so weak?"
Sometime monkey fall from tree.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Gudrun just shrugged. "I hope so, maybe they've finally gone squishy after so many beatings." The valkarie grinned.

Olaf was more somber of course, "This is likely a probe to test our resolve, thus why Thorkell wants to crush it quickly to delay them." The rune-caster paused "The thought that the jarls will need to feed soon and there may be an elder among the group no doubt also plays on his mind."
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"What elder would be fool enough to walk into certain death?" Konstantin asked loudly as he rode closer. The wind carried the Gangrel's words to his ears and his Tzimisce heritage allowed him to turn a faint noise into coherent conversation. "Even the blood bond has limits and even if the Prince of Milan is strong enough to compel such obedience, why throw away such a tool for so little gain?"
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"The Prince won't stop him out here," Lydia hissed quietly under her breath in warning. She had not heard the conversation Konstantin had replied to, but it was clear he meant to antagonize the Gangrel again.

Riding up on her bay roan, Lydia's chain mail jingled lightly with the mare's movements. While some Genosans might have quietly mocked the ostentatious gilding and beadwork upon Lady Nikolakis' Byzantine garments before, it was clear now that she was no stranger to warfare. Her chain mail was well-made and worn proudly, her sword hung at just the right angle for a quick, easy draw. "Greetings, Einherjar of the North. How soon do we ride out?"

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin bit back a reply. It appeared all forms of intelligent discussion of tactics were off limits. No one here feared the wrath of a Dragon. Purcelli had much to answer for if he had let the reputation of the Tzimisce slip so far. There would be so much blood and pain to pay for this that none who survived the holocaust he would unleash would be able to hear his name without terror. Konstantin bared his fangs in a snarl. "Fine. Since were doing it this way anyway, let's hurry up and kill these Milanese."
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
The Silence and I
Disciple

LadyTevar wrote:"The Prince won't stop him out here," Lydia hissed quietly under her breath in warning. She had not heard the conversation Konstantin had replied to, but it was clear he meant to antagonize the Gangrel again.

Riding up on her bay roan, Lydia's chain mail jingled lightly with the mare's movements. While some Genosans might have quietly mocked the ostentatious gilding and beadwork upon Lady Nikolakis' Byzantine garments before, it was clear now that she was no stranger to warfare. Her chain mail was well-made and worn proudly, her sword hung at just the right angle for a quick, easy draw. "Greetings, Einherjar of the North. How soon do we ride out?"
Ottar grins as Lydia announces herself. "Greetings to you as well. We shall depart soon, I think."

EDIT: brain fart...
Last edited by The Silence and I on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Gudrun only looked at Konstantin, snarling beneath her breath, Olaf glanced to her and raised his hand to calm her. The Rune-wise looked at Konstantin carefully and then shook his head. "Many Voivode from what I hear are eager to throw their lives away in the assaults against the Tremere."

Olaf moved to sit on a large raised patch of dirt and considered the new Tzimisce for a brief time before he looked to Gudrun and Ottar, speaking to them in their native tongue of Norse. "Be careful what you say."

Gudrun looked to Olaf, as though perhaps to challenge him for a moment before she nodded and turned back to the huskarls, striking up conversation again.
Last edited by Charon on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

After feeding, Florien exited his manse with his retainers and headed toward the city gates. They were not too far from the gates, and walked. Which suited them well enough as they would be playing the part of infantry and archers in any case. They could have used riding horses, but risked them being stolen if left at the gate.

They reached the city gates at about the same time Lydia and Konstantin did, having been somewhat more hurried

"Evening" he greeted them in Italian.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"If you have heard that," said Konstantin, "then you have heard falsehoods. If you believe that, then you know nothing of the ways of the Tzimisce. Voivodes do not shirk from spending lives, but they do not spend valuable ones without expectation of worthwhile gain and they are never careless with their own. No voivode I have ever heard of considers Gangrel lives cheap."
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

"Yes the Voivode are the perfect warriors, that is why they not only haven't been able to wipe out the tiny group of blood-stealing cowards when they started but have actually seen their forces grow since the Omen war began." Olaf smiled ruefully. Gudrun and some of the huskarls chuckled under their breaths.

As Olaf finished speaking Nicolo arrived on horseback and Florien could see that many of those gathered had horses on hand. One of the few exceptions was Gunther who passed through the gates only moments after Nicolo, and then immediately moved away from the group, watching Konstantin closely.

Gudrun nodded to Nicolo, grinned in threat to Gunther, and then turned her attention to Florien. "Ah, the good father is here! I would have thought such a faithful Christian would be too busy cowering under his frocks and praying for the Christ-gods assistance in such dark times."
Last edited by Charon on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Florien did notice his lack of horse might be irritating. But not so irritating as losing one. He never had need for a warhorse, let alone four, and a riding horse would not be an asset in battle.

"Ah, Gudrun, The Lord helps those who help themselves. Besides, why would Christ help those as damned as you or I?" he asked, crossing himself.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Walking outside, Aziz smelled the night air, smiling slightly as he did. He had fed, he had made sure all his belongings were in place, and he had made sure proper protocol was followed.

Now, all that remained was for all these horsemen to start their ride, so he could begin his run. He could do as the others did, and ride a horse - but that was not his way. These invaders that were spoken of in concerned tones would shortly be just as concerned with a desert wind of furious silence engulfing them as with the horsemen coming for them.

Adjusting the bastard sword at his side, Aziz took another slow, deep breath of the night air, smiling slightly. It was a good night for this.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin's face remained stony. The Gangrel fools mocked their own prowess, for in Transylvania they fought with the Tzimisce against the Tremere. "Strange that you would rejoice in the slaughter of your clan mates by the Tremere and their Ventrue allies and the cannibalization of their remains in the form of the Gargoyle slave soldiers." He shrugged. "It does not matter. I see that you are supreme here and have no regard for me. I yield to your might and will trouble you with my poor words no longer." He readied his spear and tuned his senses of hearing and smell to pierce that fog.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia remained silent as the Gangrel mocked Konstantin. Whether they knew it or not, they had grown soft, pampered by the easy life of Genoa. Perhaps it was best that Konstantin saw this for himself.

She noted respectfully to Father Florien, noting that he nor his men had horses, yet were well-armed as archers. If they could keep up, well and good. She also noted the dark shadow that joined them ... the newest Assamite to join the Court. This influx of the dark assassins may be of some concern.

In watchful silence, Lydia clucked to her horse, setting the mare following Nicolo and Gunther out the gate.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Gudrun smirked. "Probably because he is too busy dying at the spear-points of mere mortals and turning his ass-cheeks about to be of any use in a fight!"

Olaf looked like he was about to counter Konstantin's point when two more horsed figures emerged from the mist. "That's enough Olaf. I will not have infighting before a battle and the fiend has yielded." Thorkell, dressed in heavy mail and a thick helm, and carrying his weapons of war rode in on a warhorse. Beside him was Vannius on a much less powerful looking steed. Thorkell nodded briefly to Konstantin before looking over the rest of the group. "There is a point two miles down the road where it turns, bringing one side nearly flush against a hill while the other side skirts a forest. We will set up there." Thorkell turned to face his retinue. "Ottar, Olaf, I want the two of you to keep a set of eyes on the Milanese at all times. Nicolo, Gudrun, you'll take up the front with me. Harald, Egil, watch our flanks. We are burning the night away, let's go."
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

"Juergen, Nils, you will take up positions skirting the forest ,when battle is joined" he said pointing at the two carrying Halberds "to engage their horses from behind. They will not be able to charge and you will have superior reach. Stay together, do not let their horsemen separate you. Thomas and I will engage from the hill, where we will have better line of sight, and some protection from pinned down cavalry"

He said this in Italian, before pointedly adding

"If of course this meets with our Warmaster's approval"
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

The Silence and I
Disciple

When the "Father" arrives Ottar gives Florien a brief glance before looking away. The Christ-god's followers did much to damage and destroy his homeland as he knew it once and there was no love in Ottar's heart for those who follow the Christ-god now. He can't help but smirk as Gudrun banters with the man.
Thorkell turned to face his retinue. "Ottar, Olaf, I want the two of you to keep a set of eyes on the Milanese at all times. Nicolo, Gudrun, you'll take up the front with me. Harald, Egil, watch our flanks. We are burning the night away, let's go."
"It shall be done."
Turning to face the lands beyond the city gate Ottar draws a deep breath and lets loose a shrieking scream into the night, calling to any owls that may hear him. Being creatures of the night they may find him even as he travels, and if not he can always call to them again.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The Gangrel's mockery of the priest was promising. Konstantin has never done more than pay lip service to the sheep god theology of the Christians, although he had to admit that telling peasants to submit to your temporal rulers was a useful bit of theology. This Florian was unlikely to enjoy having his religion mocked if he took it seriously enough for it to be notable. Perhaps their was an inroad there. He would have to explore it sometime later and see what the Christian could offer him.

The paynim, on the other hand, were obviously magicians, their abilities shining through much more easily than that of the Tremere. Securing an understanding based on mutual interest should be easy enough. The truth would serve him well.

Lydia was clearly interested in allying, but her motivations were harder to read. Venice and Genoa both maintained powerful fleets and trading interests in the Mediterranean, as well as a number of colonies. They were potential rivals to the Greek remnants of the Empire, but they were also enemies of their Muslim enemies and Genoa was a bitter rival of the city that had engineered the fall of Constantinople, Venice. Was she here to tap Genoa's wealth and perhaps steer their policy into one that benefited her or her masters back home or was she here for more sinister reasons? She had no reason to share such a dangerous truth with him, but they were in accord for the moment and that would do.

He licked his fangs impatiently, his senses heightened and sharpened. At least he would be able to indulge in slaughter, if this mass idiocy didn't get him killed first. He had fury to share with the world.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Thorkell looked at Florien and nodded. "Yes, though they will receive reinforcement."

Ottar's calls to the owls brought him several of the creatures, but with the fog that filled the air none of their reports could be exact. But Ottar did get a decent idea of where the enemy was. Olaf had called to the ground trotting wildlife and retrieved little more information.

By the time they reached the ambush spot, Ottar and Olaf had both kept tabs on the enemy and knew the enemy was a mile and a half away. The hill truly did come to the edge of the road, so much so that it had been dug away so that twenty feet away from road it was flat land, then it suddenly jumped up six feet with an additional three foot high wall. This wall went along the road for a three hundred feet. The woods were sixty feet away from the road and it looked to be that way for as far as even the advanced vision of a vampire could see in this fog.

Thorkell and the advance guard came to a stop and the Gangrel looked back at the group. "Harald, Egil, Sven get your bows and get up on the hill. Gyrd, Ivar, Nicolo, head into the trees. Florien, your ghouls will be with them. Olaf, Vannius, head forward and scout, you will be our eyes and ears." Thorkell nodded to Vannius and the Abyss mystic did not seem to have any response as he dismounted his horse. Thorkell now looked to the rest of them. "Ottar, Lady Lydia, Aziz, Gunther, take up positions along the wall." Thorkell now looked to Konstantin and smiled. "You, Gudrun, and I will be going into the woods to charge them once they are bogged down by the others." Thorkell now stopped and looked around. "Any questions or," he pause, looking to Konstantin "suggestions?" As far as it could be said, the Gangrel was serious in this question, though the previous confrontation had proved that not doing this battle would not be a good suggestion.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia dismounted and started taking the other's horses as they dismounted. It took only a couple moments to lead the horses off the road and out of sight. She hobbled them quickly so they could not wander, then took her position on the wall beside Aziz.

<"Blessings be unto you," she greeted the Assamite in Turkish. "I will try to stay out of your way this fight."> She knew enough about these deadly dark warriors that it was best to stay out of their way.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin didn't say anything, just nudging his horse towards the woods. The spear shaft slid in his hands. Let the blood flow. And if one of the Gangrel or their ghouls got in his way during the battle, well such things happened. That cut both ways, of course, but there were a lot of advantages to being mounted and the others were mostly on foot. Scandinavia was not good horse country.
The Silence and I
Disciple

Ottar takes a position atop the wall a little away from Aziz and Lydia. He lies low in a position he can spring from and readies his shield and axe. Nine feet. Even in life Ottar could have jumped from this height and he's only gotten better since, and with a body to land on? This was going to be fun.
It would be excellent to avoid targets with spears readied upwards, and anyone confused by the ambush would be ideal. He keeps his ears attentive for the enemy. When they are almost close enough to see he begins to gnaw on his shield with steadily increasingly savagery, tapping into Odin's gift to him even before he'd died. His face contorts into a feasome, tooth baring grin as the battle lust surges through him.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

As Aziz slowly unsheathed his sword, it made a low roaring noise as it unsheathed; nothing very loud, but anyone around him would notice that the noise seemed...a bit different than an ordinary sword being drawn - much more like rolling thunder than the normal hiss of a blade leaving its sheath.

Let them wonder at the noise, for this was Tariq, a gift of his soul through his Sorcery. Some mages, undead or alive, took on familiars - this sword was his, and they had a great deal of devotion to one another, something obvious to a careful observer.

The blade glinted in the moonlight, seeming to reflect the moonlight in patterns, instead of all at once. Aziz slowly took a deep breath, exhaling just as slowly. As a vampire, he no longer needed to breathe - however, it was still an excellent focus for his concentration, and his talent with will weaving.

Yes, he thought as a smile slowly grew on his face. This would indeed be a beautiful night.

It was then that the Italian lady, Lydia he thought her name was, addressed him - in Turkish, which caused him to raise an eyebrow. After all, he certainly didn't expect it from the kindred here. "Blessings be unto you," she said formally, carefully enunciating the words. "I will try to stay out of your way this fight," she added.

"If you took the care to learn Turkish, then I will not worry about your common sense," he replied in Turkish to Lydia, with a smile. "Besides, good lady Lydia - what sort of warrior or sorcerer would I be without proper skill and restraint?"
Last edited by rhoenix on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

<"A far better one than I,"> Lydia replied quietly, so not to spoil the coming ambush. A small half-smile was on her face to show she knew the joke was at her expense. <"I learnt this language before entering the Night, for there were many in Constantinople who spoke it.">

Were. Past tense, as if she spoke of one deceased. <"It will be interesting to see who gets the most kills -- you, the Tzimisce, or the Gangrel."> She did not include herself in that list, for she knew her own skills and where they lacked.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Replying just as quietly, Aziz seemed calmer than he was before. "I will not be counting mine, or anyone else's. These invaders will be doing as they must, and we," he said, lightly moving his sword to his side, "will do as we must. There is no great honor gained for overcoming desperate men, only for overcoming one's own challenges."

- William Gibson