Vampire: A City by the Sea

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Charon wrote:Maria Chelebi's thin fingers tapped with a steady rhythm upon her chair as she listened to Aziz. "A sorcerer. I have never had the pleasure of seeing one of your kind at work. And what strengths do you bring to my court, Child of Haqim?"
Bowing formally again, Aziz looked a bit more relaxed as he smiled. "I am but still a neophyte compared to others of my caste, but the skill and the sorcerous arts of the blade are my primary focus for now. However, I've the time with which to learn more, and I intend to."
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Karaja and Demosthenes, despite the fact that both young Cainites had been whispering, turned to look at the pair with disdain.
One day, thought Lydia, I will find a sotto voce that can not be heard by those with sharpened senses. Her gray eyes swept the room to see whom else may have listened in.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin, having been accepted, withdrew to a side of the room well away from the Usurpers. There was no point in hiding his emnity towards them as none would believe it. Let them believe he merely hated them.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Maria nodded just slightly. "Interesting. Very well, Aziz Temjin, welcome to my court. Haqim's Childer are welcome here. You may enjoy the fruits of my labor." With that Karaja and Aziz were dismissed. There was a pause, as though to wait for any other announcements, before the gentle din of conversation began again.

Lydia's look around the room revealed nothing, but just because you were listening in didn't mean you showed any signs of it.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

"You have my gratitude," Aziz said with another bow before stepping backward, and back to his original position near the back of the room, near Karaja.

He was content to watch the proceedings, learning both personal habits and protocol from doing so. If Aziz did have any thoughts or reaction to anything so far, he kept his own counsel.

EDIT: Somehow, this made no sense. Fixed.
Last edited by rhoenix on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

At least some thought she was important enough to listen in on, Lydia concluded, noting Konstantin stalking off to a corner far from the Tremere. She was not surprised.

She turned to give Virgil a small smile. "Would you like me to watch him for you?" she asked. "After all, we have something in common." Both were new to the city, both had lost their homes to invaders. It was a start.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Virgil glanced at Lydia. "And?"

In this society, nothing was given for free, and if she was doing this it meant she must be expecting something from the Seneschal, either sooner or later.

Porcelli had meanwhile stepped down from his place next to the Prince and approached Konstantin. "It has been a very long time since I have seen another dragon. Does it go as ill for all of us as it has for Timur?"

About this time, another Cainite made his appearance, Nicolo Giustiniani. The other Brujah in the city who had, likewise, been a more recent immigrant. The Brujah looked much older now than when he had been embraced, at least as he told it, but he still looked to be in his late thirties. Like Alfred, he was decked out in complete armor, taking nothing to chance. Like Father Florien, Nicolo was a follower of the Night.
The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

Charon wrote:When Ottar reached his new position, he was fairly certain that he was closer to the doe, but his depth perception was shoddy with only one eye. The younger deer had moved a few extra feet away from it's mother, and in the standard failings of youth, was not paying as sharp of attention.
Too easy. Ottar may not be the finest hunter, although he has skill enough to boast at the feast tables, but to take down a fawn--and one barely paying attention at that--when a greater challenge stood mere feet away... unthinkable.

The glow within the vampire's eye winks out; the lack of cover cannot hide it and also means his normal sight should keep him from tripping like an idiot. Charging in is extremly risky but Ottar has no desire to sit tight and hope the deer wanders closer. His only acceptable action is to close the gap and take a chance. His mind set, he draws on his blood to grant him greater strength, agility and speed (2 points into Str and into Dex), and crawls forward as softly as he can. The moment it seems like his cover is compromised he explodes into a full sprint, claws extended reaching and grabbing. He would pull the deer to the ground and take it out there.
Sometime monkey fall from tree.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"He may not even speak with me," Lydia gave in answer, her grey eyes going to her fellow Brujah as he entered. Never promise what you cannot deliver, and it is far better to have someone owe you even a tiny favor you may call in at a later time, especially one as well-placed as Virgil.

"Perhaps I am simply curious, and seeking an excuse." That, at least, was closer to the truth as she faced Virgil with a smile. He had twice her years of UnLife, and she knew he could play the game better. This was what she hoped to gain from allying with him -- political skill and cunning. She had a feeling that too many Genovese vampires were watching the puppet master's moves, and paying little heed to the puppet. It also let those same Vampires think she had no idea of the politics of the city. "Either way, I mean to speak with him, so the choice is your own, m'lord."

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

The doe and fawn exploded as well, darting this way and that in an attempt to avoid their hunter. The doe scampered off, not being the target of the hunt. The doe had a large lead on Ottar but the Einherjar was relentless, eventually her strength faltered and the gap closed. Ottar had his prize for the night.

As the vampire feasted, another came close, it was Olaf. "So this is where you went. Come, clean yourself up. The Prince has called a meeting."

Virgil shrugged some. "Do as you will. But do not forget that not all Tzimisce are as friendly as Porcelli." To call Porcelli friendly was a stretch, the vampire was a follower of the Road of Sin, and a member of the Cainite Heresy, but he was nowhere near as gruff as the stereotypical Tzimisce.

Alfred was meanwhile growling softly, then did not even try to speak softly enough to not be heard. "Where are the barbarians?"

Demosthenes clucked his tongue a few times. "Could not the same be said of you minister? The Einherjar work and toil already, making the way ready for glorious battle."

Alfred turned and glared at the much older vampire, who only snorted and looked back out into the room.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"That is why I make no promises, only an offer," Lydia replied, her grey eyes twinkling at the joke on Porcelli's 'good nature'. After Alfred's impatient explosion, Lydia gave a sad shake of her head. "I am getting used to such friendly openness," she quipped with mild irony. After all, Alfred had shown no love for her either. Virgil was nearly the only one who she spoke with on a regular basis.

"Is it a surprise I would seek company of another newcomer, when I am so new to the city myself?" It was a decent excuse to seek out the Tzimisce, althought he might also have hear if her Sire had gone that direction. Lydia did not think it that likely, but one never knows. Either way, the offer had been made to Virgil, it was his choice if he wanted to use any information she might obtain.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"No," said Konstantin, "but it does not go well in many places. I have no intention of discussing such matters within the hearing of Usurper dogs." He nodded in the direction of Lydia. "Who is the Greek woman?"
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Unlike many vampires, Father Florien cared little for politics and as a result, bided his time until he could say or do something productive. Perhaps once the scheming with Lydia finished, Virgil would be interested in further discussing theology?
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Virgil smiled a little. "Not at all. And considering you have already approved of him, it might be seen as odd if you did not." Virgil glanced at Konstantin. "We'll see what you can find."

Porcelli nodded slowly, his lips pursed in thought. "Of course, not with how quickly they spread their news." Porcelli's eyes followed Konstantin's "The Greek? She is a Byzantine immigrant, Lydia Nikolakis. Her sire was here following the fall of Constantinople, but left a few years ago. She arrived shortly after her sire left." Porcelli smirked, "Has quite a few things to say about the Venetians as well."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"Constantinople's sack was not a boon to our clan," said Konstantin. "And of course, Genoa and Venice are old rivals. It's farther afield than say Nicea, but city's are only so large and it would be a safe port to visit."
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Porcelli only nodded, his eyes still on Lydia. "Ah, it looks as though she wants to come over to answer some of your questions herself." Porcelli looked at Konstantin and smiled, it was too large of a smile to be human. "We shall have plenty of opportunities to talk in the future."

Porcelli took a few steps back, bowed ever so slightly, and then made his way over to the lone leper-looking fellow who had remained quiet in the shadows all this time.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin watched the dance of the other Cainites, paying particular attention to the Usurpers.
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Charon wrote:Virgil smiled a little. "Not at all. And considering you have already approved of him, it might be seen as odd if you did not." Virgil glanced at Konstantin. "We'll see what you can find."
Lydia gave a low chuckle. "It did prove how many find me entertaining to listen in on," she said, pointing out the obvious -- the Tremere, his own Sire, Demosthenes, and Karaja all had looked towards her at some point during their conversation.

"However, I had also approved of you when I saw you, m'lord, and so far I have no complaints," Lydia added with a flirtatious smile. She did know where a few of the treasures of Constantinople he had casually mentioned were being kept, and knew a couple of others had not made it out. So far, the two that were still (supposedly) in Constantinople were the only ones she'd mentioned to him, although she was kind enough to tell him exactly where they'd last been seen. If Virgil could steal them out from under the noses of the damned Venetians, or better yet make them look the fools as he did so, it would made her happy.

With those parting words, she left Virgil's company and crossed over to speak with their newest Cainite. "Good evening, sir," Lydia said, staring briefly at the fearsome mask before letting her eyes slide away to focus more on his dark hair, which was far more human. Newly washed, she assumed.
Last edited by LadyTevar on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"If I had time to prepare, I would have greeted you with a face more appropriate to meeting well born ladies instead of one designed to intimidate potential predators. And knowledge is always valuable and the price you paid that piece was so very low."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"It is well known the sons of the Dragon may be devil or angel as they chose," Lydia replied, having to wonder how much of her conversations Konstantin might have overheard, to mention prices of knowledge. Her grey eyes again attempted to focus on his face. "In return, I admit such a face is intimidating indeed. Shall I introduce myself, or has Lord Porcelli told you of me already?"

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"Your name only lady," said Konstantin. "That you are Greek is obvious. We stand equally ignorant of each other."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

It was not easy to look on him, but she was trying to keep from looking away more than was courteous. "Indeed. My mortal family helped built Constantinople," Lydia clarified. "Thus, one can say we are both immigrants and strangers here."
Last edited by LadyTevar on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

The interaction here between these kindred fascinated Aziz. In-clan politics amongst the Children of Haqim certainly had a more martial undertone, but he realized as he was watching that this was expected, given the basic purpose for which Haqim had his Children in the first place - even the Viziers commonly "relaxed" with a good sword duel with one of the Warriors, or a good debate with one of the Sorcerers - some notable Viziers did both.

But here, these kindred used words as weapons more than he was used to, but he was beginning to catch the little nuances in their speech; little things implied, little things hinted at, all adding up to a tapestry of conversation that he was enjoying watching the weave of.

Even so, he still held as still as a statue, almost fading into the background of the room through his non-motion to better observe without drawing attention or offense. He had a feeling he would deeply enjoy being here, once he was confident he could use words as the weapons they appeared here to be.

All combat was ultimately a game of chess, whether it be combat with swords, arcane magicks, or words - the trick was learning the ways of one's weapons, and learning them well.

- William Gibson

The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

Charon wrote:The doe and fawn exploded as well, darting this way and that in an attempt to avoid their hunter. The [fawn] scampered off, not being the target of the hunt. The doe had a large lead on Ottar but the Einherjar was relentless, eventually her strength faltered and the gap closed. Ottar had his prize for the night.

As the vampire feasted, another came close, it was Olaf. "So this is where you went. Come, clean yourself up. The Prince has called a meeting."
"You know well I prefer this to the crowd of the city. Obviously." That Olaf had found him so quickly implied he knew where to look. "The prince has called a meeting? I shall follow you there, but only because you went to all this trouble to tell me about it." His words are lightly cast, as if forming a joke, but there is a truth behind them: Ottar has no love of the court.
Sometime monkey fall from tree.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin laughed. "Indeed," said Konstantin, amused by her discomfort. Most Nosferatu sported worse visages and they were far too valuable not to treat with. A Tzimisce worthy of the name new that beauty and horror were both tools and both worthy of study. Still, she was eager to treat with him and he could use an ally, especially one with her obvious wealth.

Besides, he was planning on resculpting his face anyway. Terror must by necessity yield to regal beauty. "The sack was a most terrible event. The Obertus were scattered to the winds, taking what remenants of their secret library with them to their new monasteries. Of the Three, only the Dracon still lives, but where he can be found only the Obertus and the Eldest know, if any."