Vampire: A City by the Sea

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Virgil stopped and looked to Lydia. "Lady Nikolakis. Good even." The Lasombra looked to his sire, who was busy staring at the Tremere with undisclosed disdain. "I am well, though my sire and I were interrupted from our studies for this." He looked back at Lydia then. "You look as dashing as ever m'lady."
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

A flirtatious smile, as Lydia inclined her head gracefully. "You flatter me, m'lord," she answered, her eyes following his to his Sire, then to the Tremere. "I fear we were all called from our evening plans this night." She leaned closer, lowering her voice so Virgil would also have to lean in. "Is the rumor true? Has the Seer had a foretelling?"

It was amusing how far a simple question to a page could become a 'rumor' that one of the newest members of the city might have heard.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

'smooth' Florien thought to himself. She certainly knew how to manipulate people, that was certain. Now lets see if the Seneschal took the bait, or even knew something...
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Virgil chuckled. "So it's a rumor already is it? You work quickly Lydia. Yes, the illustrious elder has seen something which he believes is dire. As to what..." The Lasombra shrugged.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Charon wrote:Karaja took the time to make certain Aziz had cleaned himself before they went on their way. Karaja had a few of his servants follow them until they reached the old building that served as Maria's main hall. The servant there bowed. "Greetings Lord Karaja, the mistress is expecting you." He looked over at Aziz. "This ones face is unfamiliar to me." He looked back at Karaja. "You are here to introduce him as well? My Mistress awaits in the main hall. I would offer you my guidance but I have been commanded to wait and greet all those whom have been invited."

The servant stepped aside and allowed the pair entrance.
Silent for now, Aziz simply observed the others as he walked next to Karaja through the rooms of the Prince, who was to become his Prince - within a city that was to become his home. After arriving in the room with a few others, he stood statue-still with arms relaxed at his sides, simply watching, and listening to the conversations taking place.

He also saw the contempt reserved for the member of the Usurper clan Tremere, and couldn't quite hide a smile at that. The upstart blood-mages Tremere were evidently purporting themselves as some sorts of great mages to the vampiric world at large. For now, the prevailing attitude was clear - watch them, but don't worry much about them. Besides - the Children of Haqim had been exploring the knowledge of blood magic for quite a bit longer than they.

After this, he relaxed his countenance, returning to being as a statue. He would wait, and observe for now.
Last edited by rhoenix on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"I?" Lydia asked innocently, as she had not yet told more than the Good Father. "I was merely discussing overhearing it with Father Florien." As the Seneschal shrugged, Lydia shook her head sympathically. "Then he wishes to reveal it dramatically, as an Oracle from a Roman play?" she suggested teasingly. Many Malkavians loved drama, or merely to cause scenes where drama played out to their whims. It was an open secret many thought Virgil a puppet. Lydia, used to the politics of Byzantium, wondered if that open secret was part of a larger game. It was one reason she had chosen to ally with him.

And so, she changed the subject lightly. "If your Sire glares much longer, there shall be a hole drilled though Gunther's heart." She did not give the Tremere any title, but used his Christian name as one would refer to a child.

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

"Now now M'Lady" Florien said as he stepped into the conversation "We must not be uncharitable. The Tremere have earned their title and status as vampires. Unlike most of us, they actually had to work to write themselves out of the book of life and into the book of death. They got to their position on merit!" he said cheerfully.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Virgil smiled. "Greek actually. And don't let him catch you calling it Roman."

Virgil's smile disappeared with the re-mentioning of the Tremere. "Were Vannius to be believed, they do not have hearts any longer. They gave them to their sires to better be controlled."

Gunther and Irena were now pointedly looking at Virgil, but their gaze did not last long as Vannius's glare turned even harder. The Tremere bowed before Maria and then retired to their own corner of the room to discuss amongst themselves.

Virgil looked at Florien as he spoke, the Lasombra was obviously somewhat perturbed by the father's boisterous entrance to the conversation. "That much is true. They are magicians, perhaps without equal among our kind. Their ability to focus upon the study and reach new heights is... worthy of some laud." The young vampire had obviously missed the priest's point.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

His smile somewhat returned, his inner mantras not quite able to help Aziz keep his calm demeanor in the face of so much amusing and relentless mockery of the Tremere. He continued to listen to the denizens of this city talk so flippantly about one of their number, amused by the whole situation.

He was beginning to realize the intricacies of the other clans, and that he'd need to learn them to live here.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"It does not surprise me," Lydia answered, sliding the Tremere a glance from the corner of her eye. "Such a dark ritual must have dark price." She noted the way the Usurpers looked to Virgil, but did not get to speak before Father Florien broke in.

The Seneschal's confusion was evident. "Virgil, you have forgotten the Good Father sees us as did the creator of the stained glass above us," Lydia gently childed, nodding towards the massive diptych, where Cain was deplicted as sad and heavy-hearted, cursed by God.

She turned to share a look with Father Florien. "As Mankind was cursed by Adam eating the apple, so we are Cursed by Cain's murder. What does that say of these Usurpers?"

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

"M'Lady is indeed correct. While their skill is undeniable, their wisdom certainly is very suspect. Cain killed his brother in a jealous rage. For that, we are made to suffer damnation. Most of us had little to no control over our present state of damnation. We either did something without thinking during an event that I am told is more pleasurable than fornication, or accepted the embrace out of fear. For it we are damned forever." he paused. "The Tremere willingly took on this eternal shame. I cannot think of a greater folly"
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Virgil looked at Lydia now as though she were a child. "I have not forgotten the opinion of the Father. It is well known to me. However, I care little for the affairs of the soul. As for you Father, you speak as though only the Tremere chose unlife. I willingly joined the ranks of dead, would you speak so harshly of me? Or of most of those in this room?"
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

"At the risk of offending you my lord. Yes and no. The Tremere usurpers I imagine worked much, much harder than you did, they wanted it that much more. There are any number of reasons why most of those in this room chose undeath and damnation over life and possible salvation. But in the end analysis My Lord, I have a very hard time making any of those reasons make sense in my head. Perhaps you would enlighten me? Perhaps your views on the status of the vampire soul are different? If so I am always interested in a scholarly debate."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin followed the Child of Haqim passed the one called Augustus and into the building. He would look barbaric and savage to those of the prince's court, but that too could be of use.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

"Unfortunately, without becoming one of the Tremere I doubt we will ever know to what lengths they had to go to achieve their unlife." Virgil did seem somewhat disappointed that this secret would, for now, remain outside his grasp. "But simply put, the benefits of vampirism and the opportunities it open up outweigh the benefits of retaining breath. Truly, most of us as mortals were preordained to hell anyway. Why not then cheat death in a manner and extend the time we have on this planet. Regardless, what I am certain of is that vampires no longer have a soul."

As Selim entered, the court quieted. He had not been invited to court on this night. Furthermore, Selim rarely came to court except to report that a kill. The Child of Haqim said nothing, instead stepping aside and allowing the court to view Konstantin as he entered. Selim paused for a few seconds before approaching Maria, who had brought her full attention to him.

"My lady, I found this one within the city. He came in tonight, according to the report of the city guards, and was accosted by some ruffians which he quickly dispatched. No breach has occurred. He claims to be an immigrant."

Maria's gaze turned from Selim to the man he had brought in and the Lasombra cooly examined the vampire for several seconds. When she spoke it was clearly and without any hint of emotion. "Your name and parentage."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"In western usage I am Konstantin Karpaty, of Clan Tzimisce, Childe of Timur Heart Eater," said Konstantin with a bow. The vampire was a fearsome sight, a tall and well built man dressed in battered harness and armed to the teeth. His face was a fearsome death's head mask that promised nothing but death and pain to his foes.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Maria nodded slowly, while the cloaked man, Porcelli, and Alfred all watched the Tzimisce carefully, watching him for lies. No one yet commented on the Tzimisce's face, but Porcelli allowed himself a smirk.

"Timur Heart Eater, I have heard tales of that mighty Voivode. What brings you so far from his courts?"

At this, the Tremere perked up as well, listening for news of home.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The vampiric abilities to read auras could reveal many things and one of the simplest of those revelations was the possession of sorcerous skill. Thus it was easy for Konstantin to spot the Usurper in the court. "Were you not told? Did the Tremere not boast of their victory? My sire was slain by the Usurpers. His lands are now the prize that his neighbors and Tremere jackals fight over like starving dogs over a bone."
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

If the news of Timur's death was a surprise, it showed on few of the court's faces. Their reactions were being carefully guarded. Konstantin's quick look around the room did show more mystics than he might have thought were there. A pair off to one side showed the signs, as did one of a pair of Moors that were off towards the main door. An additional Moor that seemed to be off on his own also gave away the tell tale sparkles of magical ability.

"And so you have come here looking for new lands rather than fight for your sire's old lands?" The voice was Maria's, she was still carefully monotone. "What skills do you bring with you, Konstantin Karpathy?"
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"Many of my sire's retainers perished as well" said Konstantin. "To stand alone against the Tremere's gargoyles or the forces of another voivode would have been folly. I am strong and cunning. I know the ways of both east and west. I know war and I know peace. I have seen what the Tremere can do and have done and what they cannot stand against. I know the preservation of a realm's herds and lands, both wild and tame, human and beast. I know how to hunt the Lupine and how to weather the winds of Kine invaders. I know to respect my elder's rights and wisdom and when to apply the fire of my strength to my lord's causes. I know when to use the velvet glove and when to use the iron fist. I am Tzimisce and heir to all the strength and wisdom of the Dragon."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"Well said," Lydia murmured low under her breath. Despite this new Vampire's frightening mask, this Konstantin Karpaty spoke as a noble would. Yet there was an echo in his words, one that Lydia knew well. Like her, he was not going to allow his lands to rest with his enemy for long.

Perhaps she should take pains to treat with this son of the Dragon.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Maria smiled softly. "Indeed."

The eyes of the court flickered between the Prince and the Tzimisce as she came to a decision.

The Prince continued "Welcome to my court, Konstantin Karpathy. You shall have a chance soon enough to prove your worth." Alfred looked to Maria at this in annoyance. "Relax and enjoy yourself for now."

Karaja allowed for appropriate pause for the Cainites of Genoa to examine Konstantin for themselves before he spoke up. "My lady, while the subject is at hand, I too have a newcomer to introduce to the court." Karaja stepped up, with Iziz in tow. Konstantin could relax now as the spotlight shifted away from him to the Moor that he had seen knew sorcerer's ways.

"Oh? Two newcomers in one night?" Maria fanned herself very briefly. "How exciting." She turned and looked now to Iziz. "And you? What is your name and lineage?"

Any who cared to look would notice that Selim Ibn Imhoten had disappeared once again.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"The Seer has a vision, and we are summoned to Court, and what arrives but two new Cainites, both warriors," Lydia kept her voice low, so it did not reach beyond Virgil and Father Florien's ears. "One might take that as a omen."

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Stepping forward as asked, Aziz first bowed deeply and respectfully to the court, the bottom of the scabard at his hip lightly brushing the ground as he did. "All my humblest salutations - I am Aziz Temjin, a sorcerer of the Clan you would call Assamite. My sire is Fatima Prasad, renowned amongst our clan for her talent at striking at the worst things in the darkness. I offer my humblest and most heartfelt greetings to you, and the rest of your court, Prince Maria."
Last edited by rhoenix on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- William Gibson

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Maria Chelebi's thin fingers tapped with a steady rhythm upon her chair as she listened to Aziz. "A sorcerer. I have never had the pleasure of seeing one of your kind at work. And what strengths do you bring to my court, Child of Haqim?"

Virgil glanced over at Lydia. "One might, or one might realize that this one has been expected for days and that the other could still well be a spy."

Karaja and Demosthenes, despite the fact that both young Cainites had been whispering, turned to look at the pair with disdain.
Last edited by Charon on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.