WOD Werewolf: Appalachia Moonrise

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Want to play a Werewolf?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:17 pm

Yes, count me in!
56%
Nah... too many other games.
No votes
Well... maybe....
33%
What's Werewolf?
11%
Try again later.
No votes

Total votes: 9

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

S/he hit.

With a fireball large enough to singe all of you. One Health Level, everyone.

To clarify.

It's a BIG FIREBALL, folks. Luckily, it's not going to last long, going up in a big "FHOOOSH", but it's going to singe you all.

That's the Botch.
Last edited by LadyTevar on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

LadyTevar wrote:S/he hit.

With a fireball large enough to singe all of you. One Health Level, everyone.

To clarify.

It's a BIG FIREBALL, folks. Luckily, it's not going to last long, going up in a big "FHOOOSH", but it's going to singe you all.

That's the Botch.
Since she did an aiming triple botch, but only created a modest amount of fire, that's total bullshit.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

You're right, Cyncat. That is excessive. Sophie takes 1 health level, everyone else just gets singed fur, and there's small fires smoldering.

Why?
Because a single botch would have dropped the fireball at Sophie's feet, and singed her fur a little.
A double botch would have dropped the fireball at her feet, gave her damage, and started a small fire.

But a Triple Botch deserves more. That is something so bad it -should- affect the whole party. So the fireball blows up in her face and the backblow hits everyone in the clearing.

Does anyone besides Cyncat have a problem with this?

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

LadyTevar wrote:
Does anyone besides Cyncat have a problem with this?
It's a small fireball. Sophie succeeded in conjuring a small amount of fire, but she triple botched aiming it. The amount of fire shouldn't go up, but it should go somewhere very bad. On Sophie, on the NPC werewolf, on a PC, on a patch of dry leaves and sticks, etcetera. The amount of fire shouldn't massively increase beyond what the Gift can produce, especially since she did fine with that part.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Cyncat, can we not have a bit of drama and dramatic lisence? :razz: It is the Storyteller System, we should be able to have a little drama and fun in our game. :wink:

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

LadyTevar wrote:Cyncat, can we not have a bit of drama and dramatic lisence? :razz: It is the Storyteller System, we should be able to have a little drama and fun in our game. :wink:
You don't need a lot of fire to have drama and fun in the game. A little fire works just fine. You just have to place it right.

For your lack of proper fire appreciation, I sentence you to remedial Vampire playing so you'll properly use our incendiary friend.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Cynical Cat wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Cyncat, can we not have a bit of drama and dramatic lisence? :razz: It is the Storyteller System, we should be able to have a little drama and fun in our game. :wink:
You don't need a lot of fire to have drama and fun in the game. A little fire works just fine. You just have to place it right.

For your lack of proper fire appreciation, I sentence you to remedial Vampire playing so you'll properly use our incendiary friend.
*makes a note of this sentence.*

Carry on, nothing to see here.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Charon wrote:

Lure of the Flames and a high Humanity score so rarely mix.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Cynical Cat wrote:
Charon wrote:

Lure of the Flames and a high Humanity score so rarely mix.
This is why I thought Paths were so much more fun

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

OH, Charon? If you want, you can have left the Jeep with Firewalker, and started tracking the rest of them along the mountain. Feel free to go back a few pages and re-read what they saw along the way. :lol:

Since I'm not expecting this fight to last much longer... roll 1d10. Whatever it rolls is the round you show up on. If it's over by that round, you show up at the end of the fight.

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Honestly, Tev's the GM. Her game, her rules. She said it made a big explosion, so it makes a big explosion.

Her decision may not strictly follow the rules, but it does make sense to me for reasons of expediency.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

rhoenix wrote:Honestly, Tev's the GM. Her game, her rules. She said it made a big explosion, so it makes a big explosion.
No shit. Doesn't answer address whether or not the decision is good or bad.

Her decision may not strictly follow the rules, but it does make sense to me for reasons of expediency.
No, it doesn't make sense. That's the fucking problem with it. The Gift produces amounts of of an element measured in cubic feet. It cannot produce huge amounts of flame and it was the placement of the flame, not the amount conjured, that was botched.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Cynical Cat wrote:No, it doesn't make sense. That's the fucking problem with it. The Gift produces amounts of of an element measured in cubic feet. It cannot produce huge amounts of flame and it was the placement of the flame, not the amount conjured, that was botched.
Neat.

As the rulebook says, in any argument between rules and the storyteller, the storyteller wins every time, without exception.

Even besides that, she made a decision to change the effect with expediency in mind. I cannot find fault with changing the results of a dice roll to better serve the story and/or plot.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

rhoenix wrote:
Cynical Cat wrote:No, it doesn't make sense. That's the fucking problem with it. The Gift produces amounts of of an element measured in cubic feet. It cannot produce huge amounts of flame and it was the placement of the flame, not the amount conjured, that was botched.
Neat.

As the rulebook says, in any argument between rules and the storyteller, the storyteller wins every time, without exception.
Christ, you're dense. Small words for you: that doesn't make her choices right, it only means she has the power to do so.
Even besides that, she made a decision to change the effect with expediency in mind. I cannot find fault with changing the results of a dice roll to better serve the story and/or plot.
Except it doesn't. It's suddenly changing the nature of the fucking Gift. It's a botch on a fucking to hit roll. It doesn't require rewriting the fucking Gift so suddenly you can set a whole group on fire with a level one Gift to do something interesting with it.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Cynical Cat wrote:Christ, you're dense. Small words for you: that doesn't make her choices right, it only means she has the power to do so.
Oh, you're going the "Intarweb Tough Guy" route with the explanation again. I see.

Amusing though it may be, it doesn't change my answer.
Cynical Cat wrote:Except it doesn't. It's suddenly changing the nature of the fucking Gift. It's a botch on a fucking to hit roll. It doesn't require rewriting the fucking Gift so suddenly you can set a whole group on fire with a level one Gift to do something interesting with it.
...*sigh*

The amusing part of this whole reply of yours is that aside from having amusing attempts at being insulting, it simply restates your earlier opinions apparently in the hopes that by using different words I'll suddenly and magically have a different opinion.

I did understand you. And my viewpoint has not changed.

The only way I would have a problem with this is if Tev lets Havoc do the same thing again, using the same Gift, on purpose. In which case, I would see a prime chance for Tev to make Havoc go on a solo quest eventually to find a spirit to teach a new gift capable of such a thing.

The primary purpose of RPG's is to have fun, and rules are merely the guideline for doing so.

- William Gibson

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

rhoenix wrote:
Oh, you're going the "Intarweb Tough Guy" route with the explanation again. I see.

Amusing though it may be, it doesn't change my answer.
I see you have no rebuttal to my answer other than to chuck an ad hominem my way. Thank you for agreeing that the issue at question is the quality of the decision, not Tev's right to make it.

The rest of your answer is goobledook that doesn't address my points. Yes, the point of a an rpg is to have fun. Genius. Now since I like my fantasy world to not brutally violate my Suspension of Disbelief, having the Gift behave in a manner that it cannot wrecks my enjoyment of the game. That a storyteller does so when she has plenty of better options is something I will argue against. It's a bad fucking call. If she wants to make it, fine, but I will put my five dollars and two cents in criticizing it.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Cynical Cat wrote:I see you have no rebuttal to my answer other than to chuck an ad hominem my way. Thank you for agreeing that the issue at question is the quality of the decision, not Tev's right to make it.
I do agree with you on that count, yes.
Cynical Cat wrote:The rest of your answer is goobledook that doesn't address my points. Yes, the point of a an rpg is to have fun. Genius. Now since I like my fantasy world to not brutally violate my Suspension of Disbelief, having the Gift behave in a manner that it cannot wrecks my enjoyment of the game. That a storyteller does so when she has plenty of better options is something I will argue against. It's a bad fucking call. If she wants to make it, fine, but I will put my five dollars and two cents in criticizing it.
To be clear: I'm not protesting you raising your points in general - I'm protesting this specific one of yours.

Your argument that there are better options for Tev to take is a valid one, I will grant that. However, we both also agree that it is ultimately hers - so, how about an alternate suggestion for her to take? We are all here to improve as players and storytellers both, ultimately.

I don't have a proper suggestion beyond a modification of CynCat's, which is basically "Sophie gets to try to soak fire damage."
Last edited by rhoenix on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- William Gibson

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

I'm more of an asshole than usual because right now I want the world to burn and revel in the suffering of everyone I hate. I want to apologize right now for what I've said. I've tried to avoid arguing because I am in a such a shitty mood, but part of me wants to go out and inflict pain and obviously it is getting out.

Sorry folks.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Cynical Cat wrote:I'm more of an asshole than usual because right now I want the world to burn and revel in the suffering of everyone I hate. I want to apologize right now for what I've said. I've tried to avoid arguing because I am in a such a shitty mood, but part of me wants to go out and inflict pain and obviously it is getting out.

Sorry folks.
No worries man. Go take care of you, we'll be here when you get back.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Cynical Cat wrote:It's a bad fucking call. If she wants to make it, fine, but I will put my five dollars and two cents in criticizing it.
*pockets the $5, pays attention to the 2c.*
As I've PMd you, I do appreciate the constructive criticism, and I have shown I needed it occasionally. However, the Gift as stated in 2nd Ed states "One cubic foot of the desired element is created per success, up to a maximum weight of 100lbs." So, in theory, if Sophie gets 6 successes, she could make 6 cubic feet of fire that is permanent until it runs out of fuel or oxygen.
However, I thought it would be much more fun and dramatic to have it flare into a temporary fireball and then leave only tiny smoldering fires behind (mostly on Sophie). I did go overboard with the "take damage everyone" post, so yes, Cyncat could yell at me over that. I've taken it back (except for Sophie).
I'm more of an asshole than usual because right now I want the world to burn and revel in the suffering of everyone I hate. I want to apologize right now for what I've said. I've tried to avoid arguing because I am in a such a shitty mood, but part of me wants to go out and inflict pain and obviously it is getting out.

Sorry folks.
After all the times I've IMd you over the last year, damn-near crying over Nitram, I think you're allowed a few rants back. *HUGGLES* Forgiven. If you want, go Umbral and beat up the Bane there.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

And that one d10.

EDIT: What is it with me and taking 8 turns to get to combat situations?
Last edited by Charon on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok...

Havoc? Post up you action in the game thread.

Rheonix and Devonie, you're up next, what are you two doing to that pig you've got trapped between you?

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

*evil grin*

What would happen if Sees-Faces grabbed one end, Dev's character grabs the other, and we just start pulling as strongly as we can?

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

It would gore the one in front and kick the one in back.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:It would gore the one in front and kick the one in back.

...Right, Fur Gnarl again it is.

- William Gibson