Order of the Stick Comment thread 611 and counting.

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Stupid Celia

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

And pacifism loses again.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

It's a rather odd form of pacifism since she seems willing to act as cheerleader for combatants even though she is unwilling to become one herself.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Something I added on the OOTS forums:
So a summary of Haley's damage dealing potential with that thing:

I'm going to assume a longbow, since it looks to be about the same size as her old bow, and that was said to be a longbow (even though it was not as tall as Haley herself, but meh).

Normal hit:
Longbow damage: 1d8.
Frost damage: +1d6.
Enhancement damage: +5.

TOTAL: minimum 7 hp, average 13 hp, maximum 19 hp.

Critical hit:
Longbow damage: 1d8 x3.
Frost damage: +1d6.
Enhancement damage: +5.
Icy Burst damage: +2d10 (since bows have a x3 multiplier).

TOTAL: minimum 9 hp, average 33 hp, maximum 55 hp (!)

What this means in practice, Rogues have 1d6 hit points per level, 6 for the first level. So:

Level 1: 6 hp.
Level 2: 9 hp.
Level 3: 13 hp. Haley one-shots 3rd level Rogues on an average hit.
Level 4: 16 hp.
Level 5: 20 hp.
Level 6: 23 hp.
Level 7: 27 hp.
Level 8: 30 hp. Haley one-shots 8th level Rogues on an "average" critical hit.
Level 9: 34 hp.

This assumes no Con bonus, which is a bit far-fetched in particular for higher level rogues; still even if they have Con 15 she's still one-shot killing second level rogues (13 hit points) on an "average" regular hit and 5th level rogues (30 hit points) on an "average" critical hit. Assuming I did not screw up the math at some point.

EDIT: note that these assume single shots, Haley happens to have the Manyshot feat.
Lots of ouchies.

If Bozzok is 18th level, and has a high Con bonus, say +3 or +4 (since he is a boss type and a half-orc to boot), he'll have some 120, 137 hp. Haley would need 9-10 more hits to finish him off, but might get the job done in three or four criticals if she gets them.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

It's a rather odd form of pacifism since she seems willing to act as cheerleader for combatants even though she is unwilling to become one herself.
Considering most of the pacifist I've met don't want the police to stop protecting them, I would say it's about par.
If Bozzok is 18th level, and has a high Con bonus, say +3 or +4 (since he is a boss type and a half-orc to boot), he'll have some 120, 137 hp. Haley would need 9-10 more hits to finish him off, but might get the job done in three or four criticals if she gets them.
Didn't he take damage in the eariler fight with Haley and some from Belkar?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Bozzok has to be at least 19th level, and is more likely 20th. Haley informs us she has a feat that does most of what the seeking property does, and that's Improved Precise Shot, requiring her to be 15th level. Bozzok must therefore have at least 19 rogue levels, and most likely at least one level in a martial class since he uses martial weapons not on the rogue's list of proficiencies.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

frigidmagi wrote:Considering most of the pacifist I've met don't want the police to stop protecting them, I would say it's about par.
Fair enough. :smile: Pacifism of this kind is really a messed up ideology.
frigidmagi wrote:Didn't he take damage in the eariler fight with Haley and some from Belkar?
Yea, I believe so.
Rogue 9 wrote:Bozzok has to be at least 19th level, and is more likely 20th. Haley informs us she has a feat that does most of what the seeking property does, and that's Improved Precise Shot, requiring her to be 15th level. Bozzok must therefore have at least 19 rogue levels, and most likely at least one level in a martial class since he uses martial weapons not on the rogue's list of proficiencies.
Rich might simply have fudged it, though we can't assume that if we're crunching numbers, so I guess you're right. Haley at 15th level means the heroes have not been idle in recent weeks and months.

Anyway, Bozzok could have just taken a martial weapons feat. Going by the numbers, his minimum level is 19th. His maximum could be whatever, though I doubt that he's Epic.

This might increase his tolerance to Haley's new weapon, but only by one or two regular hits, and besides that as frigidmagi points out he's already wounded.
Last edited by The Minx on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Pacifism is really a messed up ideology.
Fixed that for you :wink:
Rogue 9 wrote:
Bozzok has to be at least 19th level, and is more likely 20th. Haley informs us she has a feat that does most of what the seeking property does, and that's Improved Precise Shot, requiring her to be 15th level. Bozzok must therefore have at least 19 rogue levels, and most likely at least one level in a martial class since he uses martial weapons not on the rogue's list of proficiencies.

Rich might simply have fudged it, though we can't assume that if we're crunching numbers, so I guess you're right. Haley at 15th level means the heroes have not been idle in recent weeks and months.
Rich has openly stated in the past that the story>>>>>>game rules. Just saying.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

frigidmagi wrote:Rich has openly stated in the past that the story>>>>>>game rules. Just saying.
So he has. Which does not prevent us from crunching the numbers just for the heck of it. ;)
:lol: And Crystal survives the encounter. Her self-esteem may have taken some permanent damage. Or maybe she's too much of a twit for that. If she thinks pickles are a viable weapon, who knows?

On another note, Bozzok is in serious trouble now being outnumbered 2:1 and all, with both a powerful close combat guy and Haley with her fancy new bow. It will all depend on how the hostage situation plays out.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Damn did Crystal even slow him down? I mean damn there's owned and there's owned you know? I mean I don't think she even touched him.

Also I think Belkar should get bonus points for just leaving her there at 0 HP and saying Adois.
Last edited by frigidmagi on Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

frigidmagi wrote:Damn did Crystal even slow him down? I mean damn there's owned and there's owned you know? I mean I don't think she even touched him.

Also I think Belkar should get bonus points for just leaving her there at 0 HP and saying Adois.
At most, one round <slash slash slash slash slash slash>, one round trip!, one round <SHCHLURK> and one round taunting.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

And so, Celia breaks out the lightning gun at last. Only it's in order to begin legal negotiations.

Whatever works, I guess. :???:
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

It's going to take something horrible to make her get violent

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

At most, one round <slash slash slash slash slash slash>, one round trip!, one round <SHCHLURK> and one round taunting.
Half a minute or so. Damn...

And seriously Celia, you shoot fucking lightening! Just fry them until they can't hurt you anymore come on! Give into your anger! Give into you pain! Strike THEM DOWN!
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote: And seriously Celia, you shoot fucking lightening! Just fry them until they can't hurt you anymore come on! Give into your anger! Give into you pain! Strike THEM DOWN!
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Darth Magi.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

I feel kind of silly right now. I only JUST realized Mr. Scruffy is in all likelyhood Belkar's animal companion. I was so used to him having so little wisdom that he has no spells, or other Ranger features, that I completely forgot he can have an animal companion.

:oops: :lol:
Sometime monkey fall from tree.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Come back and die for my fleeting tactical advantage!

You know you think the rogues would have caught on faster...
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

frigidmagi wrote:Come back and die for my fleeting tactical advantage!

You know you think the rogues would have caught on faster...
Rogues don't have to have a high WIS score. :twisted:

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

All this would require is a high INT score. Rogue's tend to have them.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

And so Bozzok is saved by the bell. Love the blue dragon MOB boss. :smile:
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

god damn truces....
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Loved Belkar's "innocent" grin in the second last panel.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

The Minx wrote:620

Loved Belkar's "innocent" grin in the second last panel.
"RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!"

The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

Humans! Go figure, right?

Haha. It does seems like a good plan, too. And I imagine that between Belkar and Haley there is enough firepower to keep the other members honest--for a time anyway.
Sometime monkey fall from tree.