Comrade Tortoise had a crazy weekend.

ART: Movies, Pictures, Music the stuff that could be considered Art by some people

Moderator: frigidmagi

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

#1 Comrade Tortoise had a crazy weekend.

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Found this little guy on the road. Anaxyrus(formerly Bufo) nebulifer

Little bit of landscape photography

So I know this looks pointless... but that is the tail end of a cottonmouth we released. We were looking for frogs and it came across out path. Jeff tried to catch it, it got past him and almost tagged his foot. So I caught it in my big dip net and pinned its head with the little one.

Not the same snake, but we caught four over the weekend. One of them bit Dr. Smith, but the fang went through his index finger completely and the venom sprayed out the other end.

That is one lucky biologist... But he has been bitten by 4 venomous snakes over the years. He was not phased at all.

Little Acris crepitans. The frog is about the size of your thumbnail.

little Ambystoma talpoidium

Me in all my nerdy glory at camp

A very mild mannered water snake

Me holding a coral snake

Little pigmy rattlesnake

This poor little copperhead got clipped by a car

Big ass cottonmouth saying hello to the world

Then deciding he hates it
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

poor little copperhead
*twitchtwitchtwitch* NOno... they are EVIL! They boil out of the ground and the little bastards crawl EVERYWHERE and they're poisonous as the adults!!

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Aren't coral snakes moderately poisonous, with no antidote to their venom?
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

An antivenin exists, but the snake's venom is a powerful neurotoxin (in contrast to the hematotoxin present in vipers, which comprise most North American poisonous snakes). A coral snake bite is not a situation to be taken in moderation; it's a medical emergency. Also, copperheads must die.

My weekend was slightly less crazy, but still crazy as well. I was doing this. (That's me in white in the center of the defensive formation.)
Last edited by Rogue 9 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Why must copperheads die? What do they do to deserve it? They are very mild mannered snakes unless you are stupid enough to step on them.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

I want to caption the copperhead as "Happy Snake is happy." But that's just me and I'm strange.

As for why must they die? Well aside from the obvious "Everything must die eventually" part, my own personal issue with them is that I just generally have not nice feelings towards creatures that can kill me by biting me. Several of my ex-girlfriends included.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

LadyTevar wrote:
poor little copperhead
*twitchtwitchtwitch* NOno... they are EVIL! They boil out of the ground and the little bastards crawl EVERYWHERE and they're poisonous as the adults!!
The "They are Evil" bit is something I can hear my mother having said. For her, the only good snake was a dead one... especially one dead because she's turned it into roadkill.
Last edited by Steve on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

B4UTRUST wrote:I want to caption the copperhead as "Happy Snake is happy." But that's just me and I'm strange.

As for why must they die? Well aside from the obvious "Everything must die eventually" part, my own personal issue with them is that I just generally have not nice feelings towards creatures that can kill me by biting me. Several of my ex-girlfriends included.
They cant. There has not been a recorded death from those snakes since 1947, and that was because the person had a blood clotting disorder already.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:Why must copperheads die? What do they do to deserve it? They are very mild mannered snakes unless you are stupid enough to step on them.
They hide in fallen leaves/tall grass/anything else available and wait to be stepped on, obviously. At least rattlesnakes are polite enough to warn you first. :razz: Fuckers swarm out of the head of the hollow near our old farmhouse every single spring and get all up in the garden, trails, orchard, etc.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Rogue 9 wrote:
Comrade Tortoise wrote:Why must copperheads die? What do they do to deserve it? They are very mild mannered snakes unless you are stupid enough to step on them.
They hide in fallen leaves/tall grass/anything else available and wait to be stepped on, obviously. At least rattlesnakes are polite enough to warn you first. :razz: Fuckers swarm out of the head of the hollow near our old farmhouse every single spring and get all up in the garden, trails, orchard, etc.
Then wear fucking boots and watch where you step. They were there first and were using that spot as a den site long before your farmhouse was built. You are the ones intruding on them.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

The Ambystoma talpoidium is pretty cool, related to Salamanders?
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Cpl Kendall wrote:The Ambystoma talpoidium is pretty cool, related to Salamanders?
They are salamanders ;)
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Go me!