The Hedge Knight (Graphic Novel)

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1 The Hedge Knight (Graphic Novel)

Post by Cynical Cat »

This is the graphic novel adaptation of George R.R. Martin's short story, set before the times of the Game of Thrones.

Synopsis:
During the reign of the Tragaryan dynasty, an aging hedge knight traveling to a tourney becomes ill on the road and dies. He is buried by his squire, a tall young man by the name of Dunk. He takes his masters horse and gear and attempts to enter the tourney, encountering some interesting folk along the way. Lying that his master knighted him before he died, Dunk encounters a number of difficulties just entering the tourney while he barters his remaining possessions for tourney gear.

But that's no the heart of the story. He strikes a Tragaryan prince who is beating an innocent woman and really gets himself into hot water. The intervention of another Tragaryan prevents hims from being killed on the spot, but he is compelled to fight a special form of challenge, one where there are seven champions on each side. Should he fail to find six supporters, he defaults and loses automatically.

Art: Very good and very appropriate. It looks just like I imagine the Seven Kingdoms should.

Overall: A truly excellent adaptation. I've left most of the really good stuff out. Dunk's shield is the one that Brienne remembers from her father's armoury when she borrows someone else's colours and it is appropriate that the two characters who are the most untypical of knights but exemplify the core of its virtues share the same colours.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I'll have to find this and pick it up. The circumstances here foretell who next takes the throne.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I have this graphic novel and I have to say I back Cat's review. Also Silence, my roommate read it and liked it as well.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Rereading Storm of Swords, I found a reference to Dunk. It was very cool.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
The Grim Squeaker
Initiate

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

The Sequel (Hedge Knight II) IS being published now as a comic.
It's very good, written by Martin, good art, the same feel as the books, and it flows a lot more naturally with better pacing and a more gripping plot than the original :smile:
Formerly known as the .303 bookworm
Veni, Vidi,Vici.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/ ... 0av/CW.jpg[/img]
My Photography
My Picasa based Photography

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much: the wheel, New York, wars while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in water having a good time.
But the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons