The World of Superheroes...

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 The World of Superheroes...

Post by frigidmagi »

Born out of a discussion between DS and myself.

Imagine you live in a world where Dr. Doom was figthing the Avengers down the road last week, or your best buddy's greatest party story is how he no shit saw Superman when he was working a job up North last year... How does this affect what we read, who gets famous, what internet sex videos we most want to see (admit it you've thought about it, especially you KAN).

Would a Tabloid be able to make any money talking about Brad Pitt's affairs in a world where Johnny Storm is not only rich, handsome and famous but can actually fly and burn things?

Would Paris Hilton be able to become popular competing with Wonder Woman or Warbird?

Would you be looking for pics of your favorite Supermodel online or your favorite Super Heroine? Would People be talking about Ben Afleck and Jenn Lopez or more interested in the relationship between Sue and Reed Richards?

How could the History Channel talk about WWII without an interview with Captain America? For that matter how long before any discussion of American politics and policy ended up wanting a word with Captain America?

And yes just for KAN...

How long before instead of basketball players, superheros were the ones in underwear commercials (there happy now?).
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

White Wolf already made that game. It's called Aberrant.

Here's a few other things to consider:

Gonzo journalism about super powers.

Superheroes running for office.

Super powered brawls replacing boxing and wrestling.

Government agencies with super powered agents.

As for their impact on the world through public perception, the supers will be the new celebrities, but ramped up to eleven.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

So Spiderman vs Venom would be the new Pay Per View?

Also I never heard of Aberrant until you and Nitram told me.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

I'm pretty sure Heff would be working overtime to get some Superheroines to pose for Playboy....

and I'd definatly purchase the issue.

Much like Abberent (now that Cynical points it out) Superheroes would become the new Celebrity. There'd be entire websites devoted to find out their secret identities, tabloids would pay small fortunes of pictures of them in non-fighting shots.

Nipple slips would become a whole new thing "whoa man, look at this pick. Yeah, it's She-hulk fighting the a Sentinel. Look at that man, her boob popped righ out of her uniform!" (Don't know about you, but I'd pay good money to see those big green boobies...)
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

There's a She-hulk?
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

There's a She-Hulk.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

That's no where near as bad as I imagined. I pictured the regular Hulk with tits.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

IIRC, she was Banner's cousin, and was badly injured while Banner was visiting. He gave her a blood transfusion to save her, and the gamma radiation passed over.

From the first, she was a little more in control of her shifts and kept more of her wits about her. At some point she got stuck as SheHulk, but doesn't seem to miss it all that much other than griping about having to special-order clothing to fit her. I think she's been in that world's Playboy, or some other modeling jobs....

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

She has, and she has. :grin:
And I was under the impression there already ARE entire websites devoted to finding out our secret identities.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

There's more to it, of course. Think for a moment: There's always going to be a 'counterculture' that cleaves to that which society rejects. Supervillains will be able to fund their schemes(Or just sate their desire for wealth and power) from marketing.

'Mal Made Me Do It' was a major T-shirt in Aberrant, and Divas Mal was widely regarded as the biggest danger on the planet(Albeit the fact he fought once, and that had no collatoral damage).

Part of me likes the idea of 'normal' celebrities getting kicked to the curb to be replaced by the supers, though.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

SirNitram wrote: Part of me likes the idea of 'normal' celebrities getting kicked to the curb to be replaced by the supers, though.
I dunno. Is getting Paris Hilton off the news REALLY worth the quarterly alien invasion that almost wipes out the planet?
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Is getting Paris Hilton off the news REALLY worth the quarterly alien invasion that almost wipes out the planet?
It is if I can get Powergirl in an issue of playboy. Seriously though at least the Superheroes would be doing something worthwhile, fuck it might actually encourage people to get off their ass and do shit.
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

Would it? Or would people go 'Valen, the superheroes will take care of anything, no need to bother fixing anything ourselves?' even MORE than they do in the real world already?
And you're pretty benign in your wishes. Now wanting to have Karen in an issue of Hustler...
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

because that's worked so well in Heroes
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

Karen was in an issue of Hustler in Heroes?
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

No, I was refering to Frigid's post
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

B4UTRUST wrote:No, I was refering to Frigid's post
I take it then that your meaning was humanity stayed its depressingly egotistic self despite the presence of superheroes in Heroes, then.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I think apathic would be a better fit. Egomaniacs do things, you should know that Bats.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Actually due to the increased hostilities between human and metahuman sparked off because of all the assloads of damage, destruction and death being caused by all these metahuman battles, the humans are beginning to rear their heads. The group is currently seeing the beginning stages of something that quite probably will evolve into a meta holocaust.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Unless we somehow find a way to stop it first.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

I agree apathetic is a better way to put it. I stand by egotistic nevertheless.