Heroes (spoilers possible)

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

#1 Heroes (spoilers possible)

Post by Mayabird »

So, anybody else watching it?

I'm not sure how to start a discussion when I don't know if anybody else will join in. :oops:
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

I keep intending to check it out, but haven't yet. I'll get back to you on that when I have, 'kay?

Oh, and there are no new malls in Gardendale. :wink:
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

A bunch of us watch it. Well I know I watch it, Tev watches it, Nit watches it...
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Well, in that case, let me start something.

I like Hiro the best. I often get annoyed by the "WTF is happening to me oh noes!" cliche when people start realizing that they have superpowers. That might have flown, let's say, fifty years ago, but by now I think we've been bombarded with enough movies, comics, sci-fi, and whatever that if it started happening to people, a good chunk of them would respond with "COOL!" (Note: so long as it isn't some really scary power like Niki's. Having a dual personality that was a mass murdering monster would be scary. Being able to regenerate like Wolverine? Cool.) Hiro doesn't have that. He's a geek, which in a sci-fi world is the best kind of person to be because he's already mentally prepared for whatever insane weirdness will be coming his way. Plus, he's so damn cute and endearing. I just want to give him a hug.

Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Okay, exactly how much ignorance would I be admitting to if I said I have no clue what you people are talking about?
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Scottish Ninja
Initiate

Post by Scottish Ninja »

About as much as I would. I've never heard of this either.
[img=left]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/ ... vilwar.jpg[/img]Dakarne: That's no moon...
Dakarne: it's London.

Thank god for Tennessee Harold Ford protecting us from nuclear vegemite. - Petrosjko
Major Reilly: Air Command
"They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine" - The Doctor
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

It's a Sci-fi T.V show about a group of people who develop super powers. It takes place in the present day. It may only be airing in the States, which is why you two don't know about it.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Im biased in that I like Hiro's power best(My favorite character in my version of Heroes is Tarot after all! :wink:).

Though I think Peter's mimic ability is interesting in that he has no clue WTF is happening. One minute he can mimic his brother's ability to fly, the next he's finishing paintings in a drug induced trance.

The cheerleader pisses me off for some reason. She just agitates me. And I love the whole Bureau 13 group. They're my type of people ^_^
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

B4UTRUST wrote:Though I think Peter's mimic ability is interesting in that he has no clue WTF is happening. One minute he can mimic his brother's ability to fly, the next he's finishing paintings in a drug induced trance.

The cheerleader pisses me off for some reason. She just agitates me. And I love the whole Bureau 13 group. They're my type of people ^_^
But sans the heroin. :wink:

The cheerleader pisses me off too. Annoying dumb blonde who just has to injure herself at every damn opportunity to show off her power. Look, after the nth ridiculous self-inflicted injury, we figured out that she can regenerate. Must she continue sticking her hands in garbage disposals and grabbing hot cupcake pans with her bare hands? And they have to rescue her? I'd almost want Syler to eat her brains, or whatever he does with them. She stays dead when her brain gets destroyed. Like a zombie!

Also, I just plain don't like cheerleaders. Must I publish novels to get marching band members in pop culture?

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

If I start getting published and write books taking place in the modern world, they will include cool marching band girls with tasty, tasty hadrosaurs.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Cynical Cat wrote:If I start getting published and write books taking place in the modern world, they will include cool marching band girls with tasty, tasty hadrosaurs.
Awww, thanks.

On topic, Hiro's blog on the website is hilarious.

Hedgecore
Apprentice

Post by Hedgecore »

I'm digging Heroes quite a bit.

Its executive produced by Jeph Loeb, who's done some excellent writing for Batman, Spider-Man, and Daredevil comics (and more!).

Also, all the paintings and comic art in the show, done by Isaac is done in real life by Tim Sale, who is a phenomenal comic artist (Illustrated most of Loeb's best stuff).

It does bear some similarities to J. Michael Straczynski's Rising Stars series (which was amazingly good), but it seems to be coming into its own more now, even though Ali "Nikki" Larter's situation comes right out of Rising Stars: a super-powered person with MPD where the alternate personality has the power. Not meaning to bag on Heroes, but Rising Stars is seriously real real good, so, check it out if you have a mind to.

I really hope they resolve the 'mushroom cloud' plot this season, and don't drag it on and on and on like Lost.
Last edited by Hedgecore on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Well, I wouldn't argue that is was a no holds-barred, adrenalin fuelled thrill ride, but there is no way you
can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork."
-Sgt Nicholas Angel, on Point Break

"You gotta look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever, man.'"
-Hurley
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Now I need to check out Rising Stars. Thanks, Hedgecore, for adding one more thing to my To Do list. :razz:

Ditto with the mushroom cloud. There can always be other Big Terrible Threats to deal with later. Like that Linderman guy. Who the hell is he and why is he connected with everybody somehow? There has to be some reason his name keeps coming up.

Rukia
Pleasure Kitten

Post by Rukia »

I really like Mika's powers. I mean how cool would it be to fix electronics and such by just touching them. But to be able to channel powers like Peters... really cool.

What about Devere? Does anyone think that she'll have powers too?

The only thing that is bugging me is the "Save the cheerleader, Save the world." tag. What does that mean? I've have a couple ideas, what do ya'll think?
shark42bait: you are evil...
shark42bait: i admire that in a woman....
I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in an AWESOME rack!
"if you want to get out of a speeding ticket short skirts and crying are still the way to go" Kairy on "mythbusters"

LimePink: "Um, Mr. President? I was doing a suduko puzzle, and based on the hidden co-ordinates in the grid, I think Osama Bin Laden is either here : points on map: or here :points to another spot within 5 miles:. Also, Jay-Z killed Tupac Shakur and the lost treasure of Atlantis actually turned to the glacier that sunk the Titanic."
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

Rukia wrote:I really like Mika's powers. I mean how cool would it be to fix electronics and such by just touching them. But to be able to channel powers like Peters... really cool.

What about Devere? Does anyone think that she'll have powers too?

The only thing that is bugging me is the "Save the cheerleader, Save the world." tag. What does that mean? I've have a couple ideas, what do ya'll think?
Since she's damn near immortal, the only thing that could 'kill' her is stealing her power. A power-stealer gaining her nigh-immortality and other Hero powers would be nigh unstoppable.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

We don't know how much punishment the cheerleader can take. What happens if you stuff her body in a drum of sulfuric acid or decapitate her, pour gas on her body, and then set her on fire? Fed into a wood chipper?
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Warning - long thing here.

Syler
1) Seems to have many powers - telekinesis definately. Regeneration possibly, considering that he was able to take three bullets from the psychic cop and then fly away just fine. Freezing power? That murder victim was frozen solid.
2) Murder style - they mention that he does a lot of the "killing without any apparent contact" or whatever. However, there was still that frozen guy with his brains scooped out, and Future Isaac that Hiro came across with his brains scooped out.

3) Speaking of Isaac, in that painting that he and Peter did of the dead cheerleader with the omnious silhouette over her it looked like the top of her head was lopped off.
4) Claire couldn't regenerate with that stick lodged in her brain. Apparently, like a zombie, you can kill her by destroying the brain.

Likely: Syler is going to try to kill Claire by chopping off the top of her head and scooping out her brain. For some reason, stopping that will prevent NYC from going kablooie.

Possible: Syler can take powers from other people somehow. He needs other people's brains in order to acquire them. Since everyone else (except possibly Peter*) seems to have only one power at a time (Hiro: "Why couldn't I have super strength too?") but Syler possibly has several, he might be taking them.

*Peter not only mimics other powers but seems to have a limited telepathic/empathic ability. He was able to sense that Nathan was in that accident and that he could fly, and also apparently was able to 'talk' to Simone's dying father before he passed away.

Speaking of Simone, I actually hope she doesn't end up having powers just because everyone else does and I would like a few "normal" people around.

B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

The cheerleader bit - After ep 7 where we learn of the radation guy it makes sense. He said himself he doesn't know what would happen if he got shot or seriously injured, that he may go nuclear and blow up or something. He got stressed out in that confrontation and burned the nurse without really meaning to. So I think the cheerleader is the only one who could get physical with him and not really have to worry about it. Just a thought.

And Micah's telemechanics is a damned cool power to have.

But yes, I too am getting a little tired of "Oh hey, I have powers too!"
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Is it alright if I mention things that were in the trailer for next week? The last episode (Chapter 8) wasn't much but confirming a few speculations of mine, plus making Mr. Bennet seem like less of that "face of evil" that the intro thing says, and I'm glad of that. I like a good anti-hero or dark hero.

Plus, if that woman's power wa a perfect memory, would Micah's intelligence (beyond just his telemechanics) also be a part of his power? (I'm actually kinda glad that subplot didn't appear this week. Niki really bothers me now.)

Rukia
Pleasure Kitten

Post by Rukia »

What about the Girl that Hiro was teaching Japanese? Why was she a target? then when hiro went back in time he stayed but something wa mention that fate was pretty much inevitable... and he looked kinda weird in the pic.

I can't wait till next week when we get to find out how this all plays out.
shark42bait: you are evil...
shark42bait: i admire that in a woman....
I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in an AWESOME rack!
"if you want to get out of a speeding ticket short skirts and crying are still the way to go" Kairy on "mythbusters"

LimePink: "Um, Mr. President? I was doing a suduko puzzle, and based on the hidden co-ordinates in the grid, I think Osama Bin Laden is either here : points on map: or here :points to another spot within 5 miles:. Also, Jay-Z killed Tupac Shakur and the lost treasure of Atlantis actually turned to the glacier that sunk the Titanic."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Rukia wrote:What about the Girl that Hiro was teaching Japanese? Why was she a target?.
Because she had super learning abilities.
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Okay, I admit, I was disappointed. I was hoping for more of a matchup with super-powers and crap, not Peter getting his ass kicked but then healing because he was close to Claire (which was totally obvious from the beginning - his brains weren't scooped out in the picture, so he can't die).

Also, there wasn't enough Hiro. Less Las Vegas people, more Hiro! I really don't give a damn about them or the psychic cop. I want flying and I want Hiro, dammit! In fact, I can go without the flying.

At least Claire is much less annoying now.

B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

I was so hoping for a battle of the hardcore killer teke. He was close enough to do it! Come on. Take his powers and duel to the death for my entertainment!
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

B4UTRUST wrote:I was so hoping for a battle of the hardcore killer teke. He was close enough to do it! Come on. Take his powers and duel to the death for my entertainment!
Seriously, when are they going to blow their special effects budget? When can Peter go all-out uber-badass with lots of powers? I mean, with flying, super-healing, TK, time-freezing, and a few others, it'd be geekout time for me.

On a very slightly related note, the crappiest super-power I can think of is the power to glow in the dark. I would laugh if someone had that.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The Wildcards term for sucky powers is "deuce". Other Wildcard terms:

Black Queen: fatal transformation

Joker: Physical change

Ace: Super Power(s)

Trump virus: A possible antidote. Works sometimes, kills sometimes.