Dark Sun

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1 Dark Sun

Post by Cynical Cat »

Sure the rules were broken nine ways to Sunday, but the World of Athas was a damn cool setting. Anyone else remember that particular D&D setting, and if you do, what is your opinion of it?
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I never got the chance to play it. But damn me if the reading wasn't interesting as hell! Cannibal Halfings, Half Giants, Dragon Kings and so on. Keep me entranced just looking all of it over.

The lack of metals was just iceing.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
The Grim Squeaker
Initiate

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I remember hearing about it.
Cannibal Halflings, desert world (Due to the big bad wizard kings draining the planet's "Life force" to become Dragon kings) and low levels of magic (Barring the uber wizard kings and their creator). :?:
Formerly known as the .303 bookworm
Veni, Vidi,Vici.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/ ... 0av/CW.jpg[/img]
My Photography
My Picasa based Photography

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much: the wheel, New York, wars while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in water having a good time.
But the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

used to play the PC games that came out for Dark Sun. Really wish I still had them, they were kinda fun.

Good setting, better than mosts I found, but never could find anyone who wanted to play tabletop.

The lack of powerful mage (except for the aforementioned Dragon Kings), the fact that even METAL was rare (you get bone and stone weapons as primary)

yeah, completely awesome.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Well I still remember playing the computer game Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. It was quite a memorable experience, by the way. First, it was the first SSI's D&D whose game mechanics do not adhere to the Gold Box line. Second --and more importantly, it was the first D&D I played that did not have the typical fantasy/medieval background. So instead of imagining my character (Kreshna Iceheart) as a Noble Paladin in Shining Armor (TM) as usual, now I had to pretend that I was Mad Max or something.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

Resurrecting to say 'loved it', prior to the fall to TSR's nightmare of 'new staff every other month' development issues.

A very grim and harsh setting. You know I was down with that.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Petrosjko wrote:Resurrecting to say 'loved it', prior to the fall to TSR's nightmare of 'new staff every other month' development issues.

A very grim and harsh setting. You know I was down with that.
With new monsters like Daggolar Slimes that dissolve our skull and eat up our brain.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

The CRPGs were pretty damned cool for their time, too. I remember loading my team down with Resistance to Fire potions and creating a perpetual wall of fire for the final battle of the first one, with the entire fight taking place in the flames. How cool is that?
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Not particularly, actually, on account of all the flames heating things up but the DS games DID look pretty cool for their time (I never got around to playing them until they were so dated that they wouldn't run properly anymore and/or looked pretty dated, unfortunately). That being said DS was a pretty interesting setting (and the way magic worked was a pretty innovative deviation from standard D&D).
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Petrosjko wrote:The CRPGs were pretty damned cool for their time, too. I remember loading my team down with Resistance to Fire potions and creating a perpetual wall of fire for the final battle of the first one, with the entire fight taking place in the flames. How cool is that?
And did you remember how the game starts? Instead of starting in a relatively peaceful town named 'Phlan' or 'Tilverton', the newly-created party was suddenly being thrown into a gladiatoral combat.