Who is your favorite superhero?

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by frigidmagi »

So some of you may have seen me asking this on facebook. If you answered there you don't have to answer here unless you want to.

Some clarification, it doesn't have to be a comic book character. It can be a book, tv, movie or video game character as long as you think of them as a superhero and they're your favorite.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#2 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by rhoenix »

I don't mind giving the same answer here.

I have a tie for mine:

#1: MacGuyver (because he tried to solve problems using his wits to achieve the best possible outcome in a given situation)

or

#2: Mr. Rogers (of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood).
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#3 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by Dark Silver »

Comics: Green Lantern (John Stewart version)
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Lys
Master

#4 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by Lys »

This one is a tough call. For starters i don't really do favourites, with so much good stuff in the world i don't know how i can pick just one. Then there's the fact that i don't really go much for the superheroes in general, as they're not really my thing. Boyfriend's favourite superhero is definitely Superman, because of his god-like strength and power, and the way he is often times a living embodiment of his ideals. He's also rather fond of Dark Seid, who is not a hero by any means, for much the same reasons.

As for me, if i had to pick i'd have to say Vash the Stampede from Trigun. The reason why is because out of all the heroes who refuse to kill, Vash is pretty much the only one who sold me on it. The thing about violence and killing is that a lot of comic books paint it as a moral issue, as if all you needed to do to inflict violence without death was to unilaterally refuse to kill, as if killing where some kind separate of act of will instead a natural outgrowth of violence itself. This to me trivializes the whole affair, to the point that Batman's magical superpower might as well be that his punches can't seriously harm someone, not if he doesn't want them to.

This is my problem with the show Arrow, where in the second season Oliver Queen just decides he's not going to kill people any more. He just... chooses not to, as if that's all it takes. This has the unfortunate effect of making his first season self look like a deranged serial killer. I mean, all those times he fatally shot a mook who was in the middle of spraying gunfire in his direction he could have shot him non-fatally? Seriously? Then why the fuck didn't he? I can buy that he had no choice, that when you're in a firefight it's kill or be killed, and the rest is justified by the greater good. But apparently he did have a choice, he could have just not killed anyone all along, which makes him a fucking monster for killing anyway, effectively ruining the character for me.

So, going back to Vash the Stampede, he too refuses to kill, but it works. Why? Because the story goes out of its way to explore just how utterly bloody difficulty it is for him to pull this off. For starters he's blatantly superhuman, and people around him regularly point out how insane it is that he can do what he does. And yet on one occasion he still fucks up and has to actually stop fighting to give first aid to a couple of men he's just shot so that they don't bleed to death, while seriously wounded himself. This results in his companion angrily bitching him out for doing something so foolish as to try to have non-lethal firefights, which quickly turns into crying because he's just so virtuous it hurts to see it. Later on we find the price he's paid for his heroic mercy, as his antics have left his entire body is covered in horrifying scars. Then near the end of the series he's still manoeuvred to a position where he has to kill someone, and suffers a near total psychological collapse as a result. Basically, Trigun actually sells me on the idea of a hero who refuses to kill by making it into something extraordinary instead of ordinary like superhero comics then to.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
The pretty flowers remind me of a song of elves.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#5 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by Josh »

Hard to say. Right now I'd have to go with Nick Fury, probably original flavor, though I do like the Samuel L. version too.

It's just that Samuel has yet to equal this in any appearance:

When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#6 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by General Havoc »

When I was a kid, Iron Man was my favorite hands down. He still may be. My horizons have grown since then, but the billionaire in the golden power armor still holds a special place for me.

Magneto, during his less-dickish periods at least, is always gonna be a favorite of mine. He's got one of the best concepts in comics, and when he's well written (or performed), he's awesomeness personified. I tend to prefer him at his less-deific power levels, but that's because everyone needs a challenge.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#7 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by LadyTevar »

I honestly can't say. When I saw the question, my first thought was Dr. Who... but then again, while he is a Hero, can you really hold him up to the thought of "SuperHero"? I mean, yes, he is heroic, but more muddles through by being clever, audacious, and lucky. He is also very much able to let someone suffer the cost of their actions, especially when he has no reason to hold back. As he put it, a Good Man doesn't need rules. The Doctor has many.

Raven of Teen Titans was my next thought, both the 1980s comic and the Timm-verse Titans cartoon. In those realities, she fought all her life to resist her father Trigon's will, to stop him from conquering Earth. She has to control herself totally, control her emotions, can never fall or fail, because that will let Trigon in. In the cartoon, she's fighting a deadline when he will show up anyway. That kind of struggle, to be a Good Person and fight Destiny, is heroic and powerful.

So, Raven and The Doctor (if he counts)

And, for the Not So Serious: Darkwing Duck.
:twisted: Let's get Dangerous....

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Steve
Master

#8 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by Steve »

I don't know if you can call Teen Titans Timmverse? They ended up making it a separate continuity as I recall.

Still, an interesting trio of choices. I'd need to ponder my own a bit more.
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

#9 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by Batman »

Since Team Timm had from what I can tell jack all to do with the Teen Titans I'd say they started out a different continuity (in fact I don't see a way to make the two continuities mesh).

Your Favourite Neighbourhood Wall-Crawler. He's in my opinion the most human of us lot. He has ordinary human problems (like paying the rent,finding/keeping a job, has to mend his costumes himself etc) on top of the superhuman ones, and yet he manages to make light of the job.
Most of the time. Because another very human aspect of him is you really don't want to mess with his loved ones. You fight him, he fights you, both of you get hurt, that's part of the job. You hurt his family and friends, you better watch for the moment he stops trash-talking you...because that's the moment he stops caring whether or not you're still breathing when he's done with you.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Steve
Master

#10 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by Steve »

Early on there were some indications that the TT series would be DCAU. For instance, in a Season 3 Static Shock episode, Batman tells Static that Robin is "off with the Titans".
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
fgalkin
Initiate

#11 Re: Who is your favorite superhero?

Post by fgalkin »

Judge Dredd.

Batman and Spiderman used to be my favorite as a kid (first one, then the other), and I still have a soft spot for them. But Dredd wins, hands down.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin