Vader allergic to bacta?

SF: Not to be confused with SyFy....
JEAP
Apprentice

#1 Vader allergic to bacta?

Post by JEAP »

I'm not sure if this has been discussed anywhere, but is Vader allergic to bacta?
"If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world. They could face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus...." --Major Meredith on the "Emu War"

That's like dinosaurs!
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

What would lead you to that conclusion?
Shark Bait
Adept
Location: A god forsaken chunk of swamp some ass built a city on!

Post by Shark Bait »

No but peanuts give the Dark Lord of Sith hives.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
-Adam Savage "Mythbusters"

"Rule 4: Blades don't need reloading."
-Zombie survival guide

"What is burning people but stabbing them with fire?"
-Frigidmagi
JEAP
Apprentice

Post by JEAP »

Hotfoot wrote:What would lead you to that conclusion?
Ton Phanan from the X-Wing series of books. Bacta seems to be able to heal extensive injuries, with people recovering from massive trauma. Phanan has extensive prosthetics because he is allergic to bacta.

Vader recived severe burns over quite a lot of his body on Mustafar. Bacta has been shown to heal blaster burns and a dunk in a bacta tank seems like an ideal way to fix him. Though, I do recall mentions of bacta being rare during the Clone Wars, it is Palpatine who is caring for him and as Chancellor Palpatine would have access to the very best medical treatment.
"If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world. They could face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus...." --Major Meredith on the "Emu War"

That's like dinosaurs!
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

And yet we know that bacta can't regrow lost limbs. If it could, there would have been no need for Luke's prostetic hand. The fact that Anakin's skin isn't horribly scarred in ROTJ indicates he underwent bacta treatment back with Palpy in ROTS.
JEAP
Apprentice

Post by JEAP »

I thought he was still fairly "raw" when they put him in his suit, though I don't remember that scene to well.

Vader does have quite a bit of scarring on top of his head and near his left eye. Here is an image of him during his redemption on the Death Star. That seems to compair fairly well with the images a Google serch for "burn scars."

That's like dinosaurs!
Shark Bait
Adept

Post by Shark Bait »

Or maybe palpatine being the sadistic wacko he is did not see a reason to have the treatments done, some minor pain might just make vader meaner rather than slow him down, and if he is living inside that suit from now on perhaps there is no need to completely heal the cosmetic aspects of skin burns.

Now I've allways assumed Vader had to be in that suit due to hot/toxic gasses nearly perminantly ruining his lungs, but I have no idea if bacta can fix that or not. A better question is if they can make such advanced clones, why not make a Vader clone and then harvest it for parts?
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

-Zombie survival guide

-Frigidmagi
JEAP
Apprentice

Post by JEAP »

Mmm, yeah. The sadistic angle works nicely, pretty much in line with what I would expect from Palpatine. That said, I'm fairly certian that when Corran was injured on Typherra his lung was punctured. Not the same type of wound, but bacta was used in reparing all the damage done to his chest.

That's like dinosaurs!
Shark Bait
Adept

Post by Shark Bait »

Lung puncture and deflation is not bad at all, according to my dad its a relatively easy thing to fix far better than being hit in the high shoulder where major arteries are clustered. Vader on the other hand I allways assumed his lungs would be heavily damaged internally and lots of the little avoli would be burned closed or poped rendering huge chunks of the lung useless.

edit: ok its BAD but not as bad as it could be.
Last edited by Shark Bait on Sun May 14, 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Zombie survival guide

-Frigidmagi
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Bacta is not magic, there is no reason to think it would restore a wound scar as far as I know, simply that it heals the injuries themselves and makes you functional again. If the injury is severe, like a severely burned lung, it would arrest further damage for certain, and restore function to damaged avioli, but regenerate lost ones? no, I think not
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

The medical droid in the ESB novelisation (maybe screenplay as well) said something to the effect of 'the Bacta are growing well' in reference to Luke's recovery. This suggests that part of the treatment is how well the patient responds to it - which I suppose is true of any form of surgery.
JEAP
Apprentice

Post by JEAP »

Now that you mention it, Comrade Tortoise, Corran and Gavin both had scars from the sneak attack in the first X-Wing book.

This allergy thing was just a 'huh, I wonder if that's why...' thought. Thanks for helping sort it out.

That's like dinosaurs!
Elheru Aran
Initiate

Post by Elheru Aran »

IIRC, the rather rough-shod treatment of Vader's injuries was due to the pressing need to have him back up and running in a hurry, as stated in Dark Lord. When he tackles Palpatine with the issue of their deformations, Palpatine chides him for being concerned with such when they will achieve more power in the Empire as they are; I don't have the exact quote, unfortunately...
Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

They could've pumped Vader's suit full of bacta...
JEAP
Apprentice

Post by JEAP »

His boots would squelch. Just imagine him walking down a corridor: sluchs sluch ueak huuk sluch. Or maybe just his knees, since he doesn't have feet. Not the image a new Sith Lord wants to project.

That's like dinosaurs!
Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It doesn't have to squelch, its the fucking future! *slaps JEAP*

=P

Besides, it'd be smart in 'Sith logic'. While he heals physically, in a bacta-pumped suit, he goes around murdering the remaining Jedi. Which would hasten his EVIL healing!

EDIT:

Heck, I think that's an ingenius idea!
Last edited by Shroom Man 777 on Fri May 26, 2006 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shark Bait
Adept

Post by Shark Bait »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:It doesn't have to squelch, its the fucking future! *slaps JEAP*

=P

Besides, it'd be smart in 'Sith logic'. While he heals physically, in a bacta-pumped suit, he goes around murdering the remaining Jedi. Which would hasten his EVIL healing!

EDIT:

Heck, I think that's an ingenius idea!
It wouldent squelch if there was no air in the suit, his breathing stuff would have to be on a seperate set of seals and such though. Or maybe there is just bacta from the neck down.

-Zombie survival guide

-Frigidmagi
Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, if his face was relatively unhurt (his mug wasn't THAT disfigured when they carted him to Coruscant), yeah, just neck down. Some slight disfigurement on the face might be a good thing, specially in Palpy's books.

I'm a genius!

Yeah, you are, Shroomy!

Awesome!

:lol:
Shark Bait
Adept

Post by Shark Bait »

That leads to the next question does bacta make you all wrinkly like being in the water too long does? Cause if so Vader would be really really wrinkly after all those years in bacta.

-Zombie survival guide

-Frigidmagi
Shroom Man 777
Apprentice

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

After he no longer needed it, all the bacta could've been drained :P

That could also explain why he was initially so clunky and had to walk Frankensteiny.