Fun With Force Nonsense

SF: Not to be confused with SyFy....
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#26 Re: Fun With Force Nonsense

Post by rhoenix »

General Havoc wrote:My favorite character ever from a Star Wars game was a Sith Acolyte who began asking these exact questions about what would happen if he began channeling other emotions besides the old standbys of hate and anger and tried to manipulate the force with them. He theorized that only by learning to do so would he be able to achieve the holistic and complete understanding of the Dark Side of the Force required to become the one, true, Lord of the Sith. And that the only way for him to learn these things was to find a Jedi and force him to teach all he knew on the subject.

Things got somewhat insane from there.
Well, as I'm sure you've suspected already, I'm not only attempting to clear the path for you to have the option of playing something similar in the upcoming Star Wars game, but also to follow a somewhat similar concept myself.

From what I remember of our conversations on this concept, yours appeared to be more the adept-type of Sith, focusing more on Force abilities to overcome enemies than lightsaber flashiness most of the time. My concept would focus more on lightsaber combat, and use Force abilities more as supplementary or complementary abilities to that in a conflict, rather than causing conflagrations or storms of Force Lightning. However, mine would initially have the same goal, only to settle in slowly to the idea of sitting within the Light, and learning to use emotions such as resolve to fuel Dark Side abilities when he must, rather than fear, pain, or rage.

When all is said and done, mine would likely consider himself a Jedi, whereas yours might still consider himself a Sith.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Lys
Master

#27 Re: Fun With Force Nonsense

Post by Lys »

I always liked the idea of following the Grey path, of seeing both the Light and the Dark as tools to be used and held in a balance from which to draw strength. The Sith are far too selfish, but the Jedi not selfish enough, and both far too hidebound by tradition. The Force is a font of power, and power is but a tool, amoral and uncaring, to be used or abused by those who can as they see fit. It is not the Dark Side that corrupts, but rather the actions of those who most often draw upon it, just as the Light cannot itself provide enlightenment. After all, were not the Jedi blinded by their own light? Did they not there plant the seeds of their fall? And are the Sith not often cast down by their own hubris? Do their lives not end when the lies give way to betrayal? No, true wisdom lies in understanding that it is not your power that makes you who you are, but what you do with it.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
The pretty flowers remind me of a song of elves.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#28 Re: Fun With Force Nonsense

Post by Josh »

Lys wrote:A group that channels the Force through positive emotions would likely be healers, probably focusing on dealing with mental traumas and emotional pains given that Star Wars healing tech can deal with physical ailments pretty well. They might also be more adept at some pure Force usages such as telekinesis, empathic sense, extrasensory perception, and the like.
Healing is the obvious approach, yeah. What occurred to me as a twist was the ESP, basically a group of seers and seekers driven by the raw power of curiosity.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#29 Re: Fun With Force Nonsense

Post by rhoenix »

This does make me think of the idea of the trickster types of Force users. Humor and jokes, more than just being great for one's own personal amusement, can also get people to reconsider or rethink things.

An order of Force Adepts who are effectively trolls suddenly makes a frightening amount of sense.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#30 Re: Fun With Force Nonsense

Post by Josh »

Now that's a cool outside-the-box idea.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Hotfoot

#31 Re: Fun With Force Nonsense

Post by Hotfoot »

I suspect pranks using the Force are common in the Jedi Order for Padawans and Younglings, both as instructives on how to use the Force and how to defend yourself with it.

"And this, Children, is Master Jak Oneli. He will be teaching you the ways of controlling your mischievous urges."
"Okay kids, he's gone now. Now, who wants to know the best way to use the Force to surprise Master Fussypants over there when he wakes up tomorrow?"