Who's in the SCA?

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1 Who's in the SCA?

Post by LadyTevar »

Because Rheonix asked me if there was a thread on here about it. :wink:

Just a reminder, the SCA is a organization whose members recreate the best of the Medieval Ages across the Known World of 500-1600 CE. (Why that far? Because we want CHOCOLATE dammit!)
Last edited by LadyTevar on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
The Village Idiot
Initiate

Post by The Village Idiot »

I am, EDIT: beacause I like to make armor and hit people with sticks. :D
Last edited by The Village Idiot on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sir, are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Corbin Dallas - The Fifth Element
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Not I, sadly.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

No, but I do SCA-lite, LARPing. :cool:
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I've seen pictures of your LARPing, Hotfoot. Your troupe gets just as deep into it as the SCA into our reinactment.

Devonie
Initiate

Post by Devonie »

I am - I even bought a membership, even tho I live 2 hrs from the nearest group and haven't been to an event in... what - 2 years?

Lady Maryam of the Dragon's Trench, called Jules, Barony of Blackstone Mountain, Aethelmarc - formerly of a lot of places, but missing my home, The Stronghold of Los Castillos del Oro, Trimaris - aka the Dragon's Trench, mka the Panama Canal Zone... (yeah it's long, but I miss my family from Panama!)
RogueIce
The Blue Ranger

Post by RogueIce »

*raises hand*

Trimaris 4 life, yo.
Image"Justice is an abstract ideological concept. We deal with tangible realities, not justice. You want justice, read a comic book."
- Dr. K, Power Rangers RPM: Ranger Blue

"We all do things in life we regret. But if we don't learn from them, and move towards a brighter future... We pay twice."
- Dr. K, Power Rangers RPM: Ancient History
Squidgey
Apprentice

Post by Squidgey »

Unlike you lads and lasses, we play with actual weapons. I've been doing re-enactment on and off for the past 3 years almost now, and due to a lack of anyone knowing what they are doing yet thinking they are gods gift to the fighting techniques the past year and a half has been basically nothing, and just when I'd advanced onto a sword (now I don't like traininging with a damned bamboo sword because I swing it too darned fast now, gotta love the difference in materials between light weight bamboo and a more solid steel sword). On the plus side I've just made contact with The Huscarls so that should be all sorts of fun. Easter Gathering at Armidale is what I am aiming for, every 2 years, next one up is 2010. There's stuff on youtube now too for the past few also.

Squidgey.
I am the Squire to a Gobbo named Ram Rock Ed First who is trapped inside of an Impenetrable and Indestructable Magically Imbued Steel Orc Golem Prison Shell!

Wow!
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Squidgey wrote:Unlike you lads and lasses, we play with actual weapons.
The emergency room staff must love you guys. :razz:

Anyway, I was at the Constellation Academy of Defense last weekend, and Don Warder Michael St. Christian delivered the keynote address, which was about the proposed fourth peerage. For the interested, video is here. Sorry about cutting off the beginning. The video response is the second part.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Squidgey
Apprentice

Post by Squidgey »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Squidgey wrote:Unlike you lads and lasses, we play with actual weapons.
The emergency room staff must love you guys. :razz:
Less then you'd imagine. There are a whole bunch of safety rules, where you can and can't hit, taught to pull blows (though two swords regularly churn out some awesome spark shows) and strict training regimes on practice weapons before you advance to actual weapons. You are in short being trained with a weapon that can kill your opponent so safety is of the utmost importance.

That all said, I'm headed to the first thing with The Huscarls on the 18th/19th of July - Winterfest is a Sydney based re-enactment event held at Culloden Park, out the back of my uni (Macquarie University) basically, and I'll be camping out in the historically accurate tents and enjoying a nice feast and all sorts of coolness whilst generally just helping out on site. I'm looking forwards to it to be honest.

Cheers,

Luke.

P.S. Youtube is great and all, but I have no sound on my computer currently so that linked video unfortunately did not come off well to me. :)
I am the Squire to a Gobbo named Ram Rock Ed First who is trapped inside of an Impenetrable and Indestructable Magically Imbued Steel Orc Golem Prison Shell!

Wow!
Lindar
Adept

Post by Lindar »

amna but....

wanna be wanna be but doubtfully will be... *shrug* i don't like rules...
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/ ... rlysig.jpg[/img]
Terminally Flirtatious : Gotham Grrl : Imp-kin : Comm Major : NOT a Blonde : Empyrean Night~Good Friends don't let friends die
"Oh, pipe down! It's not like you've never been bound and gagged before." - Harley Quinn.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lindar wrote:amna but....

wanna be wanna be but doubtfully will be... *shrug* i don't like rules...
The only rules in the SCA for clothing is "Try to Look like you made an effort to be Period" (and not just off the shelf at HotTopic).

The Rennaisance Halloween costumes that's in all the Easy-Sew patterns works perfectly. Just don't put a zipper in it. If it needs zipped up the back, reinforce the part where the zipper should go and sew buttonholes up the back. That way you get a very period-looking lace-up dress :)

Rogue 9
Master

#13 Re: Who's in the SCA?

Post by Rogue 9 »

I note His Grace Duke Dag Thorgrimsson is competing in the Midrealm Crown Tournament this spring. I thought his last (sixth) reign was supposed to be his last; he swore up and down that it would be, at any rate...

How he left the throne last time, in case anyone's curious. :lol:
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#14 Re: Who's in the SCA?

Post by LadyTevar »

One good reason to go to AEthelmearc AEcademy this coming weekend?
The Wilderness of Mirrors: Espionage and Covert Operations in the Pre-Modern Age

Description: This course will touch on the history of intelligence-gathering, cryptography, and secret operations in classical China and Rome, medieval Byzantium, and Elizabethan England. Special attention will be paid to the intelligence services of the Vatican, Sir Francis Walsingham, and the Gunpowder Plot. If tie permits, practical exercises in cryptography and the memory palace mnemonic system will be included.
2 hour class, but I am SO THERE!!!

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#15 Re: Who's in the SCA?

Post by LadyTevar »

Been awhile since anyone posted here... but yeah.. I got promoted.

I had served as Onyx Pursuivant, the herald to the Barony of Blackstone Mountain for SIX YEARS. I did a pretty good job, I'm told. So after I stepped down for a year, my immediate supervisor the Millrind Herald wishes to retire, and a call is put out for volunteers to take his place. After a period of deep thought, I throw my name in the ring ... only to find that the retiring Millrind Herald Count Sir Master Master Jehan de la Marche suggested me as a suitable candident for the job.

A multiple Peer thinks *I* can do his job. :shock: :wtf: :oops:

So, based on my willingness to try, and a glowing recommendation, I was elevated to the position at Kingdom 12th Night (in absentia, as both Count Sir Jehan and I were unable to attend). I'll be receiving the Millrind Tabard by mail, and getting an email with all the 'paperwork'. Count Sir Jehan has also offered to mentor me until I'm sure of myself.

So... well... Congrats to me?

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#16 Re: Who's in the SCA?

Post by LadyTevar »

After nearly 10yrs as a Squire, a good friend is getting Knighted this weekend!

However, due to the way Spring/Autumn Reigns fall, he will be getting Knighted in Buffalo NY, because Spring Coronation is the 9th, and it's Tradition that you be knighted by the same King who gives you your Writ (in this case, the Autumn King).

If I ever get a Writ for Elevation to Peerage, I swear by all that's holy I will damn well have the Elevation at the only place our region has NEVER had a Elevation -- Blackstone Raids, end of April (two weeks after the usual date for Spring Coronation). Because Raids is so close to Coronation, the incoming Monarchs haven't had a chance to speak with the Peerage in order to have a Writ drawn up in time. You'd almost literally have to be handed the Writ AT Coronation in order to do it, and so far that's not happened to anyone in our region. Or any region I can think of.

Which Pisses Me OFF